Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: lightermen

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default lightermen

We all remember the lightermen of the 50-60s on the Thames, discharging cargo in to the barges, i always thought they were part of the families that had done that job for generations, so enjoyed the black and white film of the apprentice lighterman, in the docks at that time, alas all gone i should think. H&S would have had kittens with the gus in this film, kt

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcex3QHqIdQ
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: lightermen

Thanks for that, so many memories and to see them all turning up for work in collar and tie, all better dressed than people today meeting their girlfriends to take them out, where dress of the day is best football shirt and clean shorts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Could be a nasty job see, in the photo a lighterman or a docker not sure which was crushed by a load and later the stretcher was transferred using the ships cranes, Arctic Troll Dagenham 1977.

img532.jpg
    img533.jpg

4. Thanks N/A, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Keith Tindell, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anything to do with sea, ships and docks was a dangerous job, but we knew that when we started, sometimes things are beyond your control, a chain sling broke and it was 22 months before I waved goodbye to the last piece of plaster after getting hit by 3.5 tons of steel. Some people get killed by a car mounting the pavement, your life isn't always in your hands no matter how careful you are. I think that deep down some of us enjoyed, or at least were intrigued, by the danger, never did want a mundane life.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

had two great uncles .....both drowned at different times at dunston on the tyne,,,,,my gran would always say to me keep away from dunston ......and i must say i never liked that place on a collier i was on all hands paid off at dunston believe she was going to the breakers and i didnt like that place one bit...and that was when i was a young man .....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The guild that these men belonged to is still very active on the Thames today. There are several tug companies (including Cory Brothers) That do similar work to what was shown in the film, nowadays it could be loading construction materials for discharge in either the Isle of Dogs or Battersea power station , or the new super sewer being built under and across the Thames . There are still countless numbers of new homes, offices etc. being built on either bank of the Thames. They also carry a never ending amount of rubbish back down river to either be recycled or burnt. The Thames is still very much a working river and it is probably the safest and greenest way of using it.
    The guys who work on the river today are the sons and grandsons of a very proud tradition that goes back well over 400 years they all have to do a long and formal apprenticeship to become Freemen in the Guild of Watermen and Lightermen although they still need to be licensed by The Maritime and Coastguard Agency. Their Guild also organise and run the annual 'Doggett's Coat and Badge Race' Which is the oldest rowing race in the World. They also run and organise the annual 'Thames Barge Rowing Race' From Greenwich to Westminster which is a test of their knowledge of the river as well as their stamina.
    The majority of men that work on the ferries etc. out of Westminster pier are members of the Guild. A few summers ago after I retired from full time work being a bit bored doing nothing I was fortunate enough to be offered work on these boats (running a small licensed bar) By a friend that I had known when I lived in the East End . He had worked his whole life on the river and now through hard work owned 3 of these ferries. I was allowed to work as many or as few hours as I desired. Depending on which ferry I was on the normal run was from Westminster pier via the Tower to Greenwich and back 2 or 3 times a day with a once a day extended trip down to the Thames Barrier. Seeing London from the river as well as a running commentary from these men on the landmarks that you are passing and the trip becomes an eye opener that I highly recommend .

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I enjoyed the film, lots of memories from my MN days, also pleased to hear that its still going strong. The Thames when i went to sea was a heaving river of ships, i have not been back to London for 25 years, so i would not recognise anything it seems, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI Keith.
    A good reminder of our past, the cold looking water reminded my of sculling the blokes back from shore, and the countless times I sailed up the Thames. "Keep her of the knuckle Harry." "Today its keep her on the runway John."
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Part of that film was shown not so long ago on our TV here in Oz as part of another program about London.
    Last time we were there we took the river boat down to Green which to meet some friends.
    One of the crew, a very elderly gent, told us he had been a Lighterman in his younger days.
    He did the commentary as we sailed down river, he knew not just about all the building, history and events over time, I think he also knew all the bloody waves as well.
    He was fantastic.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

A great ferry ride is the Kew Gardens to Westminster under all the bridges.Fantastic. The ferry was very old, possibly 50 years, but maintained in a true seaman like manner and in great condition.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast