Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: World's largest container ship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default World's largest container ship

On Chanel 4 last night they showed how Samsung in south Korea built the biggest container vessel to date, in less than 12 months for MSC. If I heard correctly it actually carries more containers on deck than below deck.
    Built in blocks weighing over 800 tons apiece with an engine the size of a skyscraper, interesting to watch it all been put together.
    23000 containers and 21 crew. Lashing bridges allow 13 tiers high on deck.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: World's largest container ship

Quote Originally Posted by john arton View Post
    on chanel 4 last night they showed how samsung in south korea built the biggest container vessel to date, in less than 12 months for msc. If i heard correctly it actually carries more containers on deck than below deck.
    Built in blocks weighing over 800 tons apiece with an engine the size of a skyscraper, interesting to watch it all been put together.
    23000 containers and 21 crew. Lashing bridges allow 13 tiers high on deck.
    Rgds
    j.a.
    frightening

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Watched the same programme John, you are right 12 tiers of containers under deck and 13 tiers on deck. Good equalibriam ballast system to keep the vessel level for loading/discharging alongside. I do wish these narrators would get their facts right describing the main engine as 'the size of a family home' the engine weighed 2500 tonnes, was over four stories high and 23 metres long, some family home!!

Of course it could be Cappy's

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Just a Pic
    Cheers

Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by ivan cloherty View Post
    watched the same programme john, you are right 12 tiers of containers under deck and 13 tiers on deck. Good equalibriam ballast system to keep the vessel level for loading/discharging alongside. I do wish these narrators would get their facts right describing the main engine as 'the size of a family home' the engine weighed 2500 tonnes, was over four stories high and 23 metres long, some family home!!

Of course it could be cappy's
    naw ivan showed it to beloved she didnt like the colour

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Its a long way to the E. R. in an emergency across an open deck.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Its a long way to the E. R. in an emergency across an open deck.
    Vic
    Have seen plans of a similar vessel, they have an under deck walkway all the way from for's aft, with cross alleys to reach foc'le, bridge, ER, stern when required. Also saw a video of the alleyway when vessel at sea, with an engineer making his way aft to ER, the vessel was flexing like a guitar string and at times he had to out his hands out to steady himself. Perhaps one of our wizards can find it on U-Tube.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6.. Vic that Seminar I did in London many years ago which covered Shipping and all the problems associated with. At the end of the day at the last supper. We all had to stand up and make some comment on the course. I was the first one up so had no guide lines to go by so muddled through not being too abusive something about the arguments about water consumption. After me this Chief Engineer stood up and spoke about one of the subjects which had been accomodation. He was more to the point and said . As regards putting my accomodation near to the Engine Room door I wish it to be known that I want to be no where near the noise and stink coming out of such a place and wish to be as far away from it as possible. There was a shocked silence, so it stopped me standing up and clapping. That really set the tone of peoples answers government and shipowners and all the officials being there or not. Dont know if there were any similar seminars after that . JS...
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th November 2020 at 11:40 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7... A lot of the ore carriers were built with those tunnels, the Pennyworth in particular , they were for the type of ship with central bridge and after seperate accommodation , although the engineers were aft in the block above the Engine room. All your catering galleys saloon and messroms were aft, only people midships were master and mates and R/Os. Used these tunnels nearly all the time and this was going back to the 50/60s JS
    PS I am a Mole and I live in a Hole. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th November 2020 at 11:38 PM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#8... Another subject was as regarding accomodation was colour schemes supposedly for physcological reasons for those throwing wobblers and people were actually serious about this. If I hadnt been the first to stand up I would have brought up some remark cynical rather than sarcastic , as sarcasm is the lowest form of wit, about hairy assed ABs then demanding pink curtains to match the pink bulkheads. Think they would have appreciated more money than anything else. JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast