Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Fog

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fog

Hi All, This brings to mind an experience of mine whilst serving as 2nd Mate on MV Seamew in 1962. We were retuning from Oporto, Lisbon and Cadiz with a cargo of Port and Sherry , bound for Bristol docks. we encountered fog whilst in the Bristol Channel and the Foghorn was going all morning. It must have been mid Summer as the fog was a very low all encompassing and it was very difficult to see even the forepeak. I came to the Bridge at noon ready to go on Watch and was met by a very irritable Captain who had been up most of the night and that morning. As most of you know (who have sailed in the Bristol Channel the fog is generally low lying. I went out onto the Bridge wing and looked up to see virtually clear sky. In an attempt to cheer up the 'Old Man' I remarked ..... " Oh Look! it's quite clear up there" The 'Old Man' replied (Puting me in my place) ...... "Unfortunately Mr Hurren .... WE ARE NOT GOING THAT WAY".

Happy Days!

From Chris Hurren

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fog

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Hurren View Post
    I went out onto the Bridge wing and looked up to see virtually clear sky. In an attempt to cheer up the 'Old Man' I remarked ..... " Oh Look! it's quite clear up there" The 'Old Man' replied (Puting me in my place) ...... "Unfortunately Mr Hurren .... WE ARE NOT GOING THAT WAY".

Happy Days!

From Chris Hurren
    unless of course you hit a tanker :

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5