Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Fog

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Fog

#21... Didnt ask you for a Lioyds open form then John ? Maybe your bike wasnt worth anything ! JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    It was November, working on a Pig farm and travelling by bike.
    Going home but the fog had come down as it can in UK like it was the end of the world.
    Slowly make my way to the main road and along came a bus, one of the old ones.
    Grabbed hold of the hand rail at the back and got puled along at about 3mph.
    But got home in one piece.
    The conductor never said a word about me hanging on that way, must have been a good one.
    Fog
    was to some others when i was a kid, ( time for retribution ) and it was quite common to find that a brick would find the back of your head when the first sign of the pea-soupers that we where used to started.
    to others in our locality it was time to prosper and the alarm bells from the local shops would ring out their pealing bells in hope that a passing policeman would rush to save the stock of the shop-owner, Alas for the policeman whilst trying to reach the pealing bells he would be struck from behind with the very same brick,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    In the years I spent as master trotting around the coast of northern Europe the most frightening experience I had sold be coming down the Scheldt in thick fog. Traffic very rarely was halted so the big container ships, tankers and bulk carriers would still be encountered even at some of the tight turns in the river and dropping off the river pilot and picking up the sea pilot at flushing the stress level was akin to attempting to cross a busy highway blind folded.
    On the north Atlantic, even with radar, in the iceberg season, on the grand Banks in fog it was stressful as you never knew if the radar was picking up growlers along with the bergs.
    As master, despite being stressed out you had to show an outward appearance of calm so as to keep the rest of the bridge team concentrated on their tasks.
    Mind you the consumption of Benson and Hedges certainly increased during dense fog.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    p.s
    Colregs apply to vessels in sight of each other, in reduced visibility vessels should proceed at a safe speed and maintain a lookout by any available means, both sight and sound.
    hi john arton
    i feel now is my chance to apologise, as it was myself ( all crew turned in ) on watch one night somwhere upon the dogger bight
    in a thick pea-souper when i was on watch of north sea trawler the wheel was strapped down, myself with my feet up upon the wheel reading some ( louis lamour ) book, when out from the starboard bridge door i could hear screams, and they where not of delight, with words like,( i love you,) no they where screams of terror as both my trawler and the one bearing down on me green to green alls i could do was lower my book and shake my head at the inconsiderate manner of the other trawler at not obeying the colregs as he passed me less than thirty feet to starboard, whilst i waited for the inevitable snarl up of the trawl we where towing colliding with his,it never happened i dont know why,
    so please accept my apologies.
    tom
    tom

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Tony Taylor, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Fog, just rembered we anchored off the IOW, waiting for the fog to clear before docking at Soton.
    Sailed through a few sand sorms off of Africa.
    Vic

6. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    It was November, working on a Pig farm and travelling by bike.
    Going home but the fog had come down as it can in UK like it was the end of the world.
    Slowly make my way to the main road and along came a bus, one of the old ones.
    Grabbed hold of the hand rail at the back and got puled along at about 3mph.
    But got home in one piece.
    The conductor never said a word about me hanging on that way, must have been a good one.
    Suppose it was the hand rail you grabbed in the fog...did the conductor have a smile on his face...lol cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Never mind John theyre just taken the Fizz . Hope you enjoyed the ride of your life. JS
    R575129

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz, cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Never mind John theyre just taken the Fizz . Hope you enjoyed the ride of your life. JS
    John, there have been many bikes in my life, some better than others.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Likes Doc Vernon, cappy, thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I had some time ago posted on an incident when on one of the Castle Ships, so wont go into it again to much
    Just that on one trip we were in the Atlantic having left Southampton a day out, and on that Evening at about 4 or 5pm, we started to see this really thick Pea Soup Fog rolling in all over .
    Got dark very sudden, and all lights on of course, then the announcement that we would be slowing down a bit but still making headway.
    As i was then off duty i went up on Deck to see how things looked, and Wow! never seem Fog like it before!
    Anyway not too long after, i heard this strange noise and wondering what on Earth it was peered as hard as i could, but nothing ! Then the shock ! Suddenly the Claxton Horn was blasting away full pitch, and the Ship i felt lurching to Starboard, then holding tight as the Ship really did Turn hard, i looked again as hard as i could, then it came into View not too far from us was this other Ship, now also Blaring its Horn well i have never been afraid at Sea , but this did shake me some. the other Ship was so close and by sheer good Navigation and quick thinking by the Captain, we missed hitting the oncoming Ship. I was shaking that i can tell you. It was something to remember!
    Thank Goodness ! We went on our way slow of course till the Fof lifted i guess as i then hurried to me Duties in the Dining Room,and then to Bed where i slept like a log!
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is that with or without crossbar ? JS We had a stewardess on one ship I was on called the S...... bicycle. Wont say the companys name and may still be going , and too many looking for jobs there. JS
    R575129

14. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Its not just a story its a fact , and is in a post yonks ago.
    That same Lioyds hailing station was a landmark just being close to the Fish Quay. Which hopefully will have some future in years to come now. The same as how Geordies got that title goes back to Bonny Prince Charles , as when those living in a border county like Northumberland were often asked are you for Charles or George, those living locally said George and so the name was born. Those living in South Shields however got their name of Sand Dancers by a different method and is a different story, can be found in the encyclopedia A La Capp. JS
    Well it was suggested that sand dancers were slippery characters....but the truth is the land is flat around shields.....and when the winter north easters come the sand flies round the roads in the beach area and so we dance on the sand ...many seafarers will have done a quickstep in the La strada night club......the beach club .....baileys ......the latino and... Sabourns sand dancing for sailors ...where BYOB....meant Bring your own Bird... never went myself full of shady characters and you could get shanghied there and end up at sea in one of Runcimans old tramps it was said the fee for a sailor was 1,6pence.....come to think of it 1and sixpence seems to ring a bell.....regards cappy

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast