Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Medals.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Medals.

Some time ago I attempted to apply for receiving my Fathers ww2 campaign medals. He was bosun aboard tankers during the Battle ot the Atlantic. I spoke to people in Cardiff who assured me that there were indeed medals unclaimed, although he declined to elaborate. He duly sent me a claim form to complete which I duly did, stating I was the eldest surviving member of my family entitled to his medals. There was a section of the form requiring a signature of either a solicitor or a justice of the peace. The solicitor would charge so I checked with my Town Hall and was told I could take the form to the local magistrates court while in session and it would be validated free of charge. I duly presented my self and was told by reception to' just leave it here with £30 (cash) and a jp will sign it after the court sitting'. Apart from not being able to afford that amount the practice of a public servant having the nerve to charge for a service which should be free, disgusted me, so I declined. I've still got the form and although I'm now able to afford any payment, I think the method of application may have changed. Any info would be appreciated. I'm still the eldest surviving relative re entitlement.
    (for now)
    Gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Medals.

Quote Originally Posted by john gill View Post
    Some time ago I attempted to apply for receiving my Fathers ww2 campaign medals.Apart from not being able to afford that amount the practice of a public servant having the nerve to charge for a service which should be free, disgusted me, so I declined. I've still got the form and although I'm now able to afford any payment, I think the method of application may have changed. Any info would be appreciated. I'm still the eldest surviving relative re entitlement.
    (for now)
    Gilly
    John,
    A solicitor only charged me a fiver last year to sign a doc.
    Ring someone local to you and they will tell you cost on the spot.
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th November 2020 at 07:22 PM.

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, Gary Dower thanked for this post
    Likes Gary Dower liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

gilly google ....getting my fathers medals ww11......scroll down to MOD ...i got family medals a few years ago i am not sure if there was a fee ...but it was not a lot if any ....it is a good service ...and if you scroll down to MOD you are not dealing with some salesman...and they come in a fine black box with the recipients name on ....cheers cappy

5. Thanks Gary Dower thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John I would have thought a letter from your local Church Minister or your Doctor or some other professional person would have sufficed. All that should be required is proof of who you are. I am at the present trying to recover my Password for my Ipad and if you want to know hazzle thats it. I forget it and it was lost during moving house , It was bought in 2016 and today have just got a receipt from the shop of proof of buying and being the legal owner, , waiting to see if that is sufficient. Apple are very serious about their safety of customers apparently. Best of luck in your fathers medals. You shouldnt have to pay anyone for recovering Family belongings. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re your password, there's an ap on Google chrome 'find my password'. Just a few security questions and they'll list all your old passwords. Worked for me. thanks for your suggestions, problem is my church is shut and my gp is virtually lncommunicado.
    Gilly
    R635733

8. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon, Gary Dower thanked for this post
    Likes cappy, Gary Dower, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello john
    Church will be open soon - just a couple of weeks.
    Years ago I applied for my Grandfather's WW1 record from MOD. They wanted a death certificate. He was drowned from SS QUEEN in June 1918. I sent a picture of the MN War memorial in London with his name on it, but that wouldn't do. I said that Death Certificates were not issued for drowned seamen. Still no; they needed a Death Certificate. He was 51 in 1918 so when I applied in 2015 he had been dead for 97 years. Eventually i asked how dead he had to be because if he was still alive he would be 148. I then got his record. Tick boxes and common sense are poles apart.
    Don't worry ; you'll get the medals soon
    Best wishes
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Trouble is have forgotten all the original security questions answers I gave , the likes of your first car etc. was it in UK or Australia , obviously my memory isnt that good and gave the wrong one, and you only get so many shots at the answer. Anyhow a friend is now trying by proxy and they promise to give their answer within 4 days. Im too mean to buy a new one. Am doing this on a note pad which is totally unfamiliar. Cheers JS
    R575129

11. Thanks cappy, Gary Dower thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

john i have tried to send you a message from theMNsite .....i have sent the email address you asked for ......so you will have messages on your i pad when you get it going .......a fine envelope arrived today ....thanks to yourself and gwen it is a very fine gesture and much appreciated will speak when your i pad is functionin ....regards cappy

13. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6 Hi Brenda. You certainly had a runaround with officialdom, persistence certainly paid off in your case. Just re reading my application it seems the only two co- signers allowed are a jp or notary public, and neither need to have known me. I shall make myself a nuisance and hope, like your own experience, achieve some satisfaction.
    Regards
    Gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    gilly google ....getting my fathers medals ww11......scroll down to MOD ...i got family medals a few years ago i am not sure if there was a fee ...but it was not a lot if any ....it is a good service ...and if you scroll down to MOD you are not dealing with some salesman...and they come in a fine black box with the recipients name on ....cheers cappy
    Thanks for the link Cappy, had a look and was directed to the same website (MCA) where I sent my original application. I shall now ring them to determine the latest procedure
    Gilly
    R635733

16. Thanks cappy, Gary Dower thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast