Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Piracy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Piracy

In another thread someone asked about anti piracy measures.
    This is what my last outfit do to protect their ships when in a piracy zone.
    Touch of Clint Eastwoods :do you feel lucky, punk:
    Rgds
    J.A.
    piracy2.jpgpiracy1.jpg
    Last edited by John Arton; 13th November 2020 at 01:55 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Piracy

Does it stay in position in port John, how does it fair in bad weather or shipping seas, or is it a good weather measure as pirates possibly unlikely to act in inclement weather

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan
    No idea, this is the deep sea side, I was only in stolt Nielsen inter European fleet. The fittings for the razor wire looks permanent and I know they carry armed ex soldiers when in piracy areas. These pictures were taken when the vessel was transiting the Malacca straight.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

60 years ago, in 1960 , on a Blu Flu Sam boat in the Spice Islands, Piracy was a Big problem.
    At anchor ports, we had the watch keeping ABs on deck all the watch, one on the Port side, one on the Starboard side, with xlusters all around tp light up the area.

One night at the anchorage at Semarang, Java, I was patrolling the port side at 3 am, I heard a clunk, amidships. and saw a hook on a rope and a man climbing up. and on the rails., a canoe alongside with another man in it, I had a 10 ton shackle in my hand and hit him onb the side of his head with it, he fell into the sea and sank in a stream of bubbles. his mate was paddling away in the canoe. Captain was called and he complemented us on my action.
    In 2016 and again in 2019, last year, I sailed through the same anchorage again on the AMSTERDAM on the World Cruise. each time I cast a wreath into the sea at the same place., I hoped all was forgiven.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Ivan
    No idea, this is the deep sea side, I was only in stolt Nielsen inter European fleet. The fittings for the razor wire looks permanent and I know they carry armed ex soldiers when in piracy areas. These pictures were taken when the vessel was transiting the Malacca straight.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Alas John piracy was always prevalent in that area, but all we had in the 50's and 60's were aldis lamps and high pressure hoses, luckily all they had were knives and machettes and not AK47's and RPG's as today, of course we had larger crews 55/60 as opposed to 20/25 today, always interesting times transitting those Straits

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At one time was very prevalent in the South China Sea/ For those unfortuanate enough to have contact with same swore they were off duty Chinese army personel due no doubt to the armanent they carried. I preferred to call them ships thieves. To romanticize them as pirates rather than scum that they were gave Blackbeard a bad name. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Only once experienced what could have been piracy.
    In Suez canal about three quarters through when a Dhow came right along side.
    The Bosun had seen it an spoke top the chief officer.

No worries here, cannot take any chances, hot salt water hose.
    Not only does it shift greases from the deck it also shifts unwanted Dhows away.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 Victoria seamen arent as bloodthirsty as one would have you believe. A shipmasters course in Liverpool I did years ago , when having to watch a film of a woman giving birth to a child , youd be surprised how many left the room on different pretences , funny they all had the same look on their faces and the palour of their face was white. All it needed was a frothing at the mouth, and one would be looking for a dog with rabies . rabies that is not babies. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When discharging rice in Surabaya, we were discharging more by theft tan legal means. Eventually got through to military guard that we were discharging rice for their use, so barracades go up and every one male or female stripped as they left the ship. last few had to bag 120 bags of rice and load on army trucks. Not Happy.
    Also one evening 2nd. eng. passing galley when he sees non crew member emptying stores in to bag. Luckily stove still very hot so he lifts intruder and sits him on the stove. The screams could be heard for miles and he took off at great speed, leaving his bag of goodies.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wood View Post
    When discharging rice in Surabaya, we were discharging more by theft tan legal means. Eventually got through to military guard that we were discharging rice for their use, so barracades go up and every one male or female stripped as they left the ship. last few had to bag 120 bags of rice and load on army trucks. Not Happy.
    Also one evening 2nd. eng. passing galley when he sees non crew member emptying stores in to bag. Luckily stove still very hot so he lifts intruder and sits him on the stove. The screams could be heard for miles and he took off at great speed, leaving his bag of goodies.
    nice to see the 2nd engineer got to the bottom of the problem lol regards cappy

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast