Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: oriana

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default oriana

Is there anyone out there that sailed on the Orianas maiden voyage as a passenger , as I would like too hear what they thought of the ship and the experience they had , many of them were emigrants starting a new life in aussie or new zealand

Gulliver Guest

Default Oriana........

Hi Neville!.Yes,She was a real beauty,I always thought.
    I'm sure some of these links have been posted before,but in case you missed them(or for anybody else,)I'll attach them at the end.
    The photo (not mine,and a bit fuzzy)was taken after launching at Barrow,awaiting handover to Orient Line owners. The other shows her at Sydney.

ORIANA (1960)
    London
    Statistics:
    Built by Vickers Armstrong at Barrow, England, Yard No. 1061
    41,915 GRT
    804 x 97 feet
    Twin screw, parsons geared turbines
    30 knots
    638 1st, 1,496 tourist class passengers; crew 903
    On September 18, 1957 the first keel plate was laid. ORIANA was launched November 3, 1959 by Her Royal Highness Princess Alexandra and was both the largest ship launched at Barrow and at that time, the largest built in England. During her fitting out P&O and Orient Line merged and became known as P&O-Orient Lines, however the two companies retained their individual house flags and liveries. After completion, November 13 1960, ORIANA was put through her sea trials on the Clyde, and reached a speed of 30.64 knots, exceeding her designed service speed of 27.5 knots.
    Her maiden voyage, Southampton -- Sydney began December 3, 1960. The ORIANA with her Orient Line corn-coloured hull and unusual superstructure and funnel arrangements, headed off down the Solent. She sailed through the Suez Canal arriving in Melbourne December 27 and Sydney December 30. ORIANA's accommodation was divided into a First and a larger Tourist Class. Her return journey began January 5 1961, cruising from Auckland to Vancouver, US West Coast ports returning to Southampton. ORIANA was the fastest liner on the England-Australia route, sailing from Southampton to Sydney via the Suez Canal in 21 days (previously the journey took a month).
    1960 November Trials were carried out on the Clyde and a maximum speed of 30.64 knots was attained in adverse weather conditions.
    Maiden Voyage
    1960 December 3 Departed from Southampton on her maiden voyage to Australia.
    1960 December 27 At Melbourne.
    1960 December 30 Arrived at Sydney. Hundreds of thousands turned out to greet the new Oriana at Sydney, her half-way, five-day stopover port, she was the first ship to berth at the new Overseas Passenger Terminal, built expressly to accommodate her size.
    Oriana made maritime history on that voyage, breaking the speed record for Southampton/Sydney, and trans-Tasman and trans-Pacific crossings...they stand unchallenged to this day.

1961 January 5 Departed from Sydney's new International Terminal at Circular Quay for Auckland, Vancouver and US West Coast ports.
    1961 February 5 First visit to San Francisco, the city council proclaimed the day would be known as Oriana Day.
    1961 February 25 Arrived back at Sydney from West Coast U.S.
    1961 March 25 Arrived at Southampton.

http://www.ssmaritime.com/oriana.htm
    http://www.thegreatoceanliners.com/oriana.html

Also,a new book out, on March 16th,2010 by Nelson French.
    Titled" Ormonde to Oriana:Orient Line to Australia & Beyond:A Purser Remembers."
    Nelson French joined the Orient Line in 1947 and served in every ship of the fleet, including the commissioning and maiden voyage of the last of the great Orient Liners—ORIANA.
    http://search.barnesandnoble.com/Ormonde-to-Oriana/Nelson-French/e/9780902830431/?itm=6

Best Regards
    Gulliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

Hi Gulliver, you forgot to mention the 10 day shakedown run too Lisbon , I joined her in Barrow after the stike as many of us scousers did, another history buff in ausie forgot that run too, was it not mentioned in the history of the ship. I made the original post too hear from any passengers point of view of that maiden voyage. it was a great ship too me as the accomodation was top notch, after the liverpool liners that I served on. all the best .Nev.PS I also remember the trials, they did a sharp turn and all the plates and silverware went onto the deck, we thought it was capsizing.
    Last edited by Neville Roberts; 7th February 2010 at 02:39 PM.

4. Likes john middleton liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

G'day Neville, my brother in law and his wife came out to Oz in about 1958 but not sure which ship they were on. However his wife had to make a trip back to U.K. mid 60's to bring her mother out when her dad died and she did one way on the Oriana. All she can tell me is thts it was a most impressive ship and the crew were so kind to her and her two young sons she had with her. She told me some of the food was the best she had ever had anywhere.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oriana.xxx

I was a winger on the Oriana back in April 1970 - November 1970, she was a lovely ship, my brother was also on her as a winger, are we the only 2 brothers to sail together on the Oriana? ( Terry and Richard Willcox ) we were both in the Tourist Restaurant. We were also on her when she caught fire in the Solent, ( anyone else on board at that time? Our fire station was in the First Class Restaurant, it's a pitty that the ship caught fire just as the meals were being served, Yum, Yum, we had to finish some of the food off. Also the Gala Nights were very good, we used to dress up then sneak past the camars to the passenger accommadation and up to the disco, untill one of the junior engineers grassed us up, we were doing better than he was. Take care..... Terry

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default neville

I too was a winger on her. tourist 2 /8s, and a full ship on the maiden, about 600 first class and about 1600 tourist. a lot of us scousers on her as it was after the strike , and we were glad too get back too sea, and a few, $$$ after bieng on the beach for 13 weeks , we took our tuxes with us in case they were required, but po did,nt use them, so one night we dressed up and went topside too one of the bars , and did the same as you Terry but got caught and logged the next day it was a fantastic trip all the way too vancouver across the pacific after aussie and new zealand . the ship was welcomed in all the ports she went too , I remember hawaii they had a bevie of hula girls dancing on the quay , all the crew on the focsle went bananas after a long stint at sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Oriana Fire Pump

I wonder whether there are any engineers who sailed on her and remember the Leyland diesel-driven fire pump? I built that up when I was an apprentice in Leyland's Development Department around 1958. It started when decompressed, with a trigger that would work along a scroll as you cranked up the speed by hand. It started OK when new, but I always wondered what it would have been like after a few years!
    Later, when I went to sea (PSNC, Port Line) I was sure it would have been cursed many a time!Cheers, Mike

Central Coast, New South Wales, Australia
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default SS Oriana

Hi Terry,

My Brother and I sailed on the Oriana together. My Brother was already working onboard as a BRS when I joined as a Deckie in November 1976. We did the whole trip out from Southampton to Oz and then cruised until April 1977 before returning to England. Also I met a couple of other Brothers at the Sydney reunion in December 2008. Gordon & Mark Knight.
    I'm going to the September reunion on the Gold Coast in Queensland, Australia. All P&O crew are welcome. For details go to; http://web.mac.com/oriana_crew/Site/Reunions.html

All the best,

Paul Oliver

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thumbs up Nice one

Hi shipmates never sailed on the Oriana, but put plenty of oil in her on a "Esso Hythe bunker ship, in Southampton and all the other famous ones I have a badge an an ash tray from the Oriana had a tour of the ship .Did the £10 poms go to Aussie on this one? it was a beauty the life boats were bigger that the one I was on.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default the trip to japan

I was on the Oriana 64 tothe end of 65. I started as a kitchen porter and finished as a wine steward..how's that for luck! . Anway we did a cruse from Sydney to japan in 65 a year after the Olimpics.
    Two days out from Sydney we hit a typhoon and it lasted six days.
    It was like spending your life in a lift up and down 90 feet waves. it was good for the wingers as the blood's did not eat.
    Thanks for watching, Steve Flaherty R 804635

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast