Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This electronic world

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: This electronic world

Newcastle Brown Ale originally produced in Newcastle upon Tyne is now brewed by Heineken at the John Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster, North Yorkshire and also for export at the Zoeterwoude Brewery in the Netherlands.

Always loved it years ago in the Strawberry Pub before and after St James' Park.

Keith.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 29th October 2020 at 06:35 AM.

2. Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Another aid to collisions at sea, was the Decca C chain. Never sailed with it but saw it on coastal ships and some meddi boats. A favorite collision point was close to pilot station off the Humber, and I beieve off the main European ports, and I believe off . It it can be invented then it can be misused.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Newcastle Brown Ale originally produced in Newcastle upon Tyne is now brewed by Heineken at the John Smiths Brewery in Tadcaster, North Yorkshire and also for export at the Zoeterwoude Brewery in the Netherlands.

Always loved it years ago in the Strawberry Pub before and after St James' Park.

Keith.

Correct Keith, long gone in Newcastle, firstly they moved to the Federation Brewery in Dunston which was the newest brewery in the UK opened in 1981 then that was closed after very short working life, I dont understand the logic as John Smiths was brewery was nowhere near the Fed for capacity etc.Must have been the bean counters making a calculation.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Was a good drop though John.
    I liked it a lot, but always much preferred a Pint of Black and Tan, or even Bitter.
    With the old Senior Service or Players hanging from the Lips! LOL
    Cheers
    Ha Ha Doc, you could be opening a whole new thread here, round these parts you had to specify what u wanted your black and tan made from; macky tan (mackeson) guinness tan, cream label tan (Watneys cream label my favourite tan) etc etc.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Wood View Post
    Another aid to collisions at sea, was the Decca C chain. Never sailed with it but saw it on coastal ships and some meddi boats. A favorite collision point was close to pilot station off the Humber, and I beieve off the main European ports, and I believe off . It it can be invented then it can be misused.
    Colin I found the Decca Navigator on the coast a very useful aid, especially as most of the smaller coasters (or even Everards and Comben Longstaffs larger vessels) didn't have radar, or gyro and trying to get a bearing with a magnetic compass on a bucking bronco didn't instill confidence in your reading, but it was a long time ago. Colliers were better as they were equipt much as deep sea vessels with the addition of Decca Navigator

7. Likes thomas michael, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

always drank amber ale......never nukie brown ......come to think of it didnt like either........cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Colin I found the Decca Navigator on the coast a very useful aid, especially as most of the smaller coasters (or even Everards and Comben Longstaffs larger vessels) didn't have radar, or gyro and trying to get a bearing with a magnetic compass on a bucking bronco didn't instill confidence in your reading, but it was a long time ago. Colliers were better as they were equipt much as deep sea vessels with the addition of Decca Navigator
    hi ivan
    decca navigator, combined later with loran ie DGPS was very good,
    tom

10. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i think you can have all the navigational aids going but there is nothing like a set of eye balls watching your surroundings on both ships?jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Pruden View Post
    i think you can have all the navigational aids going but there is nothing like a set of eye balls watching your surroundings on both ships?jp
    Using your eyeballs in gale force 8/9 on an open wing bridge in winter conditions certainly kept you awake, no comfortable warm enclosed bridges. I think that's why most of us old navigators have droopy eyelids, they kept the rain and snow out!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

in mina al ahmadi in 59 ....the largest BP tanker the british queen arrived .....the old man stated ....well i dont know where you will berth us we are the largest BP tanker at 54000 TONS DWT.......the pilot smiled oh no prob captain....we will just stick you where we stuck the george champion 89000 tons dwt last week.... the old man reputedly walked out to the wing off the very quickly ......the wheelman a mate of mine ....told me it was the only time i can remember SMIRKING......how things have changed .....the george champion was the worlds largest tanker in 59 i am led to believe....i did see her up the gulf once and in those days she was mind boggling....cappy

14. Thanks Colin Wood thanked for this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast