Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: This electronic world

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default This electronic world

Modern vessels depend on electronics to control virtually everything on board from navigation systems, engine control and monitoring, cargo systems, even crew wages. Now it seems that even the routine mundane tasks of log book entry is set to be done electronically. Often wonder how today's ships officers would cope with a prolonged power outage and just what capacity is the emergency generator on these vessels has to deliver?. Certainly glad I'm out of it now, bad enough when VDR started recording all bridge conversation.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://gcaptain.com/abs-nautical-sy...eid=3b737aa316
    Last edited by John Arton; 27th October 2020 at 11:02 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: This electronic world

I was on the bridge of the Golden princess last year care of the skipper.

For most of us it would not mean a thing, it has very little resemblance to anything of our day.
    It is a collection of screens all linked together giving continuous information about just about every aspect of the ships operation.

The guy at the 'wheel' has nothing more than a very small joy stick and a screen he continuously looks into.

There is a lot of space up there with, far more than is needed for all that and it stretches to the wings on either side.
    One thing i noticed, at the back there was a very large collection of flags and pennants each with it's own space.
    It was also very clean and tidy!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks j.sabourn, cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

a modern day offshore supply vessels bridge would look very impressive to the unknowledgable visitor john. however unless you are working amidst all the starship enterprise lookalike gear, you wont appreciate the bits that are probably not working or under a repair list to be done when suitable. plus all the bits and pieces that are very seldom used , and the occassional bit which no one knows its uses. plus on a supply vessel you get double for your money as ship can go forwards or backwards according to workload. All these so called aids to navigation which inveigled its way onto ships bridges was there to do away with manpower supposedly.
    The amount of expenses incurred of employing shore people to repair you will never hear about. The people who lost their livlihoods the seamen have every right to not agree with half this expensive and useless equipment at times. The average modern day ships bridge I would give 4 out of 10 for working a ship. Unless everything is working at 100% efficiency. your man steering a ship with a little joystick is lucky he has a job, on most ships the OOW does that , hes probably there only for the passengers benefit so they think theyre on a real vessel as of old. JS
    R575129

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Interesting thanks John.

Keith.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

shipping will never be controlled electronically for the reason of breakdowns some crew will be on board but i think hacking will be the most on ship owners minds holding ships to ransom ect..jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

aye john not much room for a boy and tatty peeler now lol cappy .....ps did you see that bloke earlier paying half a bottle of vodka for that old banger down south somewhere .....a.half bottle of broon ale and they would take on all hands in shields...the north shields i mean ....a bit posher it would cost a full bottle in south shields a nicer class of persons .....no old fish quay lol ...keep well cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#6. Dalglieshes son used to be a frequent visitor to his fathers ships at one time. A very affable man, used to get among everyone and ask for their views on how things could be improved , believe have mentioned before. The galley boy said to me I"m going to ask him for a spud peeler , I advised him not to, however he went ahead and a spud peeler was provided, but his job went with it. Another one was the crew asked for washing machines which were very rare on ships of that day and era. 4 small domestic machines were provided , but then came the crunch, he expected all the ships laundry to be done on board the ship. It then became a Union issue and the stewards insisted on payment if it was done on a voluntary basis. They had a good case and got it, as they were only domestic machines and not considered good enough for ships laundry.
    Radar in its infancy on board ships one had to have permission to switch on , as was considered an aid to collisions and groundings , today it is never switched off, and what was once considered a hazard is now considered a necessity. The collisions and groundings still happen regularly regardless of radar being a necessity or not. When you have electronic technology on a ship, you have to have technicians on a ship to maintain and repair it so the whole purpose of de-manning of a ship is false economy as regards the money side of it. After the Piper Alpha I was approached by various un-named persons asking if I considered various implements they had invented for pulling people out of the water were feasible or not, for example one sick head had a design of a miniature grab for scooping persons up from the sea, i said it was a brilliant idea , with tongue in cheek, the only problem was it would take about 4 men to work it. And would be easier to supply 2 extra seamen with a lifebuoy and line attached. Everyone sees the after effects of disasters and misadventures as a chance to supply new technology and make their fortune , rather than do the obvious correct thing and supply manpower. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    aye john not much room for a boy and tatty peeler now lol cappy .....ps did you see that bloke earlier paying half a bottle of vodka for that old banger down south somewhere .....a.half bottle of broon ale and they would take on all hands in shields...the north shields i mean ....a bit posher it would cost a full bottle in south shields a nicer class of persons .....no old fish quay lol ...keep well cappy
    Newcastle Brown, cause of more problems than enough.
    Do they still brew it in the same way or has it been 'homoganised'?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Was a good drop though John.
    I liked it a lot, but always much preferred a Pint of Black and Tan, or even Bitter.
    With the old Senior Service or Players hanging from the Lips! LOL
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

12. Likes N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

38... Drinkers of the Amber nectar were Brown Ale Plonkeys was their official title round the Tyne area. JS
    R575129

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast