Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Nave Andromeda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Have Andromeda

#20. Unfortunately no doubt the Human Rights lawyers such as Leigh Davis, will be lining up to represent them using legal aid.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Let's hope the seven stowaways are not too traumatised by their experience otherwise they won't be able to attend school after half term!

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hampshire police said the men had been arrested subject to section 9(1) and (3) of the Aviation and Maritime and Security Act 1990. Officers will consider whether there is enough evidence to bring criminal charges against some or all of them, and whether to seek to deport them.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/worl...DVBGPawgA6Nh90

4. Thanks Doc Vernon, Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Nave Andromeda

Good movie on Netflix, 'The Hijack'.
    Story of a cargo ship taken over by terrorists.
    Based on true events she was on her way to Mumbai when boarded.
    It took some 124 days before the company paid the ransom, dropped to them by air.
    Worth a look, some of it in English but it was made in Belgium so a lot of sub titles.

One bit made me laugh, it is some ten days from orginal port and and the hijackers have been on board for about 20 days.
    In the galley some Bananas as good as the day they went on board.
    Wonder where you can buy that type.
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 27th October 2020 at 05:39 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Doc Vernon, Red Lead Ted thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Latest here is the stowaways have been arrested on suspicion of "seizing or exercising control of a ship by use of threats or force” and could face life sentences if charged and found guilty.

However, there are fears that the suspected hijackers could seek political asylum in the UK now that they have made it to shore.

Tony Smith, former director general of the Border Force, said he would be “very surprised” if the group did not claim asylum, but said law enforcement authorities needed to take a tough stance to deter others from taking similar action.

“We have got to get the message out that stowing away is not going to work and you will find yourself in prison,” he said.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/uknew...?ocid=msedgntp

8. Likes Julian Norman, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

the prob is spencer some one will talk and then a big prob comes .......cappy

10. Likes Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Interesting article in the D. M about how the SBS captured the hijackers.
    The article goes on to explain how the capture was executed, good reading.
    One thing that puzzled me was how the hijackers boarded the ship, the newspaper states that the hijackers entered the ship through the rudder trunking.
    Anyone any ideas?
    Vic

12. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vic
    I heard on sky news when it all kicked off that they got aboard via the rudder trunk which is laughable when you consider that where the rudder trunk ends, above the deepest load line, sits a bloody great steering gear mechanism. The bottom of the rudder trunk is open to the sea but the trunk itself has no openings in it as it passed through the after peak tank. Even the so called expert, a retired admiral quoted the rudder trunk as a means of access.
    The vessel loaded off shore in Nigeria, where I would have thought security would have been tight given that the whole afraid a high risk piracy area. It then bunkered at Las Palma's, which when I was last there, admittingly quite a long time ago, it was overun with African illegals, so my guess is that where they got on board.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

come to think of it who went down the steering flat years ago ....in a few vessels i was in the accom was over the steering flat and you could tell who was at the wheel ...lol...cappy.....du du du du all bleeding day and night

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by John Arton View Post
    Vic
    I heard on sky news when it all kicked off that they got aboard via the rudder trunk which is laughable when you consider that where the rudder trunk ends, above the deepest load line, sits a bloody great steering gear mechanism. The bottom of the rudder trunk is open to the sea but the trunk itself has no openings in it as it passed through the after peak tank. Even the so called expert, a retired admiral quoted the rudder trunk as a means of access.
    The vessel loaded off shore in Nigeria, where I would have thought security would have been tight given that the whole afraid a high risk piracy area. It then bunkered at Las Palma's, which when I was last there, admittingly quite a long time ago, it was overun with African illegals, so my guess is that where they got on board.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    couple of weeks back, 1000 immigrants arrived by sea in a week. Quite a journey.

16. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast