Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: MN Vets Rail Cards

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: MN Vets Rail Cards

Another point raised tonight was few can afford the annual Tower Hill journey, the
    fairs are crippling even if a small discount is offered, what is needed to be known
    is if the discount covers carers
    also otherwise if not taken into account is further
    not viable.

Had this been proposed, like much else, many years ago, would have been may'be better.

To many shielding now, to take it up even if they could be bothered.

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 16th October 2020 at 02:41 AM.

2. Likes John Gill liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    The rail card will be available to merchant mariners who have seen duty on legally defined military operations.

Regards from
    Fouro.

Our members hire a mini van locally or do not go anywhere to far away any more, train prices are overboard anyway even with a discount and social distancing etc, will not see much changing for a long time. Not allowed to leave a county here and most just cannot or will not now. Another said we have to pay Brit Rail for the privilege of serving our country ?

Taxi's in some areas give free travel for vets to and from events, many will do things or not without this.

K.

4. Likes John Gill liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    What has TV Licence got to do with rail travel, and you would not be eligible anyway not having served at sea in the MN whether in or out of a war zone, many on here have. I am an optimist and look forward to travelling again even though at this time it is not realistically worthwhile. Just passing on a news item where-in a MN Vets Rail Card for three years is cheaper than a Senior Rail Card for two years even if you cannot use the full period of validity. It was just a news item relative to our industry, that's all, if people want to make derogatory comments than that is their perogative

Ivan mate, that is the problem, not having been at sea yet having a personal spot, there would be little or no understanding of this.
    AS it only applies to ex MN why would anyone else want to comment on it.
    It may only apply to a few, but that is not the point, travelling still goes on and will increase with time. The Virus will not last forever!!!!!!
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

It does not have much to do with many from Oz, it is something occurring here and feed back from vets is it is not required.

K.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds good to me. Had trouble getting insurance to drive last time in UK and that was 12 years ago, so will need to use trains a lot more next time.

9. Likes Doc Vernon, j.sabourn, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Always found the Transport in the UK very good, i dont think i would like to Drive there when on Holiday. And for us outsiders i feel that the Fare System is more than OK!
    Now where does this Rail Card come in here Eeeeek! LOL

Just my Pennies worth Lads! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

11. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Most fitting the criteria this way, no longer travel any real distance.

Bus travel here is free for them, paying x amount a year for something
    they should pos have free anyway, comes over as a bit of a kick in the teeth.

#5: Doc.

Many see the strict criteria for MN unfair compared to the armed forces, little has changed.

EG: https://www.merchant-navy.net/forum/...43=#post218642

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 16th October 2020 at 06:21 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It used to be free for serving members of the M.N. with travel warrants available for those wanting to slip home for a few days on certain rules being observed. Also wives and famiily could also apply to the BSF to receive as well as the Unions also supplied.. Travel to join a Federated ship was always free , but certain rules had to be observed for payment on leaving a vessel . Saying all that without describing the rules ascertaining to free travel in a different era..... I went due to circumstances beyond my control to work on such non federated vessels in the North Sea which were also under the Red Ensign. The crews on such were paid a dismal wage with dismal conditions, one of which was paying their own fares to and from the port of working. Courses such as first aid which were a requirement had to be paid for by the recipient if he didnt stay with that company for a specific period. I think it was during one of the slumps in the oil Industry When Maggie Thatcher put out papers to all serving in the Better N.Sea companies to accept 3rd. Class travel until the Industry started to get back on its feet. Previous to this travel by train for long distances was always first class so as to get a seat , as usually was straight to ship and away to sea with no rest period. To the best of my knowledge this was never brought back in the uk maritime world. Dont get carried away by the benevolent shipowner. Some of these non federated ships paid what they could afford according to them, some were better than others by small margins, the worse ones paying 3 days paid leave after 4 weeks in the North Sea. After that it was on the dole or back for another 4 weeks or longer if required. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th October 2020 at 07:20 AM.
    R575129

14. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Do recall when in the RAF JS we always had free travel, just needed to apply for a rail pass if going on leave , long or short and wallah! Home and dry as they say!
    Yes them were good days. For the life of me though i cannot recall how we travelled when on Shore leave in the UK when in the Merchant Navy ?? May have had free passes then as well, anyone please!! Around the 1958 mark
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

16. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

most deep sea ships carried a book of rail warrants for use at the Masters discretion. JS
    Over the years the rules of the trade have changed. My last British ships were mostly six months running agreement. Which in other words were 6 months Articles. The Running Agreement stipulated that on return to any UK port within the 6 months , and a crew member could leave the vessel if gave 72 hours Notice. However if the Running Agreement was still open and he left of his own free will, he was not entitled to a Rail Warrant. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th October 2020 at 07:37 AM.
    R575129

18. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast