Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: My first day at sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default My first day at sea

Sailing time was always four in the afternoon on Thursday of every week, today was the day I began my sea life. By three the call was going over the public address system that sailing time was drawing close and all those not on the voyage should make their way a shore. Visitors seeing off family and friends were in those days allowed on board to see them off. By ten to four all were ashore and the gangway was being removed. Streamers adorned the ships side as those ashore caught them thrown by the passengers, like some giant umbilical cord they ran the length of the ship. With a great toot of the horn the tugs began the task of moving the mighty ship away from the quay- side. One tug pulled at the bow, while at the stern a second pushed her out. Slowly she moved gracefully away from the quay and the streamers slowly broke away. Music from the ships orchestra played loudly through the public address system and the crowds on the quay cheered. We were away; the tugs moved aside and slowly we began the journey down the Solent. In the background I could hear the latest record put out by Petula Clarke, ’Sailor’. Was this an omen?

Having witnessed the departure it was time to return to the saloon to begin preparation for first night dinner. As we moved slowly down the Solent I had time to observe the
    various river craft. Red Funnel ferry that sailed between Southampton and the Isle of Wight. Resting on the river like giant birds were some of the old second world sea- planes, various yachts and other craft sat supremely on the water awaiting their duties. Our speed at this point was only about ten knots so the ship moved gracefully, however I had noticed a slow roll and the deck below my feet felt a little removed from me.

The fear of sea- sickness is always there, and for some mariners it never leaves. There were some who gave into it every trip no matter how long they had been going to sea. It is a terrible affliction, which no one enjoys, but which most suffers on their first trip. It is often known as getting your sea legs. I was about to get mine.

First sitting dinner was at seven, with second at eight. One hour to serve a meal of up to eight courses, then re-set the table for the next sitting is something that takes practice, and the assistance of all the wingers, bell boys, and galley crew. The first sitting arrived in on time, many having been stood by the doorway for up to fifteen minutes before the doors opened. Once seated the rush to feed them was on in full swing. As a bellboy my duties were to assist the wingers wherever possible by clearing plates away and refreshing cutlery, as well as cleaning away the mess the wingers made. It was not hard work but it was constant.

It was all go and by this time I was feeling hungry very hungry. But apart from that I was also finding it a bit hard to stand level, even though the ship was only just on the move it was beginning to roll in what many would consider very calm waters. We were approaching the Isle of Wight, and from there we would turn into the channel a stretch of sea notorious for being very unpredictable. This would be followed by the Bay of Biscay, one of the worst stretches of ocean anywhere in the world.

There was not time to stop and eat, it was all go, so I began to eat on the run. As I returned the vegetable dishes to the galley to be re-filled I grabbed a couple of roast potatoes at a time and shoved them down my throat. Before we knew it first sitting was over and we were hard into the second. It was the rush and shove of the dinner service that kept the issue of seasickness at the back of my mind, but none the less I was becoming very aware that all was not well. By the end of second sitting I was just about all in, it had been non-stop for over two hours with no time to stop. I was by now very thirsty and grabbed a jug of water to quench my thirst. The water hit my stomach with a bang and with all the roast potatoes I had consumed I suddenly felt very full.

As bellboys we were considered to be junior members of the crew and as such were not allowed to work as many hours as the rest of the crew. Twenty two hundred hours and that was our lot, told by Tony to go and return in time for the breakfast service. The four of us left and the wingers continued to clean up. Back in the cabin I looked at my bunk and realized I was very tired and becoming to feel the effects of seasickness. The lads

knew what was occurring as they had all experienced it at some time so they knew what was to come. Having undressed I clambered up into my bunk and within minutes was
    asleep. It was only a couple of hours later that it began. I awoke with a most peculiar sensation, the room was swaying one way, and I the other. I had to get to the heads and quick. I made it, just, and then began what was to be the first of many long and protracted conversations with Huey, who as we all learned lived under water and could only be contacted using the big white telephone. The roast potatoes, by now turning to mash, mixed with the water began the return journey. I returned to my bunk in the anticipation that I was over the worst and would feel better in the morning. Mike must have been aware of my trip to the heads and on my return he assured me all would be well tomorrow. Wrong!!!!

I must have fallen into a deep sleep but now there was a noise, a noise like none I had heard before. A train was coming down the working alleyway. For a while my mind could not focus on what was occurring, trains I told myself do not run along the working alleyways. What the shagging hell was it all about Alfie? Then a second sound, the sound of bottles clinking, much in the same manner as those of the local milkman early in the morning. I concluded that I was still asleep and dreaming until I heard a second sound unlike the first two, I was also aware of some one tapping me on the shoulder. This was the peak steward, it was time to turn to. The sound I discovered was the ‘empties run’, a run made every morning at sea when the tourist wingers, as their first task of the day, was to remove the empty beer kegs and bottles from the ‘pig’ and other bars to the main store room. The railway noise was the sound of the kegs being slid along the working alleyway with a winger pushing them as hard as possible, it was a race that took place at six every day at sea.

I got from my bunk and went off to the heads for my morning ablutions, by now the ship was rolling and pitching, much the same, as was my stomach. Oh boy I was in a bad way and the day had just begun. Somehow I managed to get through a shower with only a couple of chucks, but I knew it was going to be a long day. Dressed as best I could I made my way to the dinning salon to get ready for breakfast. For the next two hours I was between the tables and the scuppers, chucking up large. But I was not alone, half of the bloods did not make it to breakfast, the plague of seasickness had hit half the ship. Tony noticed I was a bit green around the gills and spoke to me. He informed me that the ships captain Annie Oakley as he was affectionately know had declared that the rough sea in the channel over night, and now the bay in early morning was the worst for over thirty years. That however was of little consolation to me as I rushed to the scuppers for another go. Somehow I got through breakfast and made my way back to the cabin and my bunk. I lay there as the ship pitched and rolled like a giant roller coaster, except this was not fun. I noticed that even Mike and Peter the other bellboys were looking a bit seedy.

We returned to the saloon for lunch, which was also down on numbers. I was no better and was concerned as to how I would get through another day, and would I ever get my sea legs? It was at this point that the chief purser who hosted a table in the tourist gallop

saw me and told me I would feel a lot better if I went up on deck for a while. I decided that anything was worth a try as it could not get any worse, or so I thought.
    I found my way up to the promenade deck to have a look at the sea. What a sight was before me, my first sight of the open sea. It was grey, just like the sky, nothing as I had imagined it would be. I had expected blue sea and sky, not this. The sea was boiling and the foam flecks were landing on the decks, I was as far as I could see the only lonely soul out there. The noise of the sea crashing against the hull was horrendous, and the smell of the sea something I had never experienced before. Often had been to the coast but the sea never smelled like this.

I stood there for a few minutes watching the grand opera before me, for that is what it was like, the sound and noise of such a performance. I began after a few minutes to feel cold; it was anything but a warm day. I was about to go below when I noticed another person had ventured on deck. A male blood who, like me was obviously feeling worse for wear, and seeking some relief. He went to the ships rail and clinging to it like grim death ventured forth with a giant ‘huey’. Sadly he had not taken into account the wind so what went forth came back, with a rush, and he now looked like he was wearing a minestrone coat. Time for me to go.

Back in the salon I tried hard to do what I could, but it was not much. Tony saw me and asked how I was feeling now. Told him I was a bit better off for the air and would carry on as well as I could. Lunch finished I decided to go back up on deck as I felt the air might help. Found a spot out of the wind and sat down to watch the ocean before me. Must have been very tired from the poor sleep the previous night as I soon fell asleep. An A.B. doing the rounds rudely awoke me. He wanted to know what I was doing in a passenger area, and I should get out of there as quick as possible before an officer saw me. There was little point in arguing with him or stating my case as to why I was there so I took my leave. Down below I suddenly came to realize I was freezing cold, too long on deck, and needed to do something about it. Into the heads for a hot shower was the best idea I thought. Was doing great for a few moments then ‘huey’ caught up with me and I found I was chucking up large in the shower. Would this malaise never end?

Back to the cabin, for a short rest, before going on duty for the evening meal. I was by this time feeling a little better and the chucking was coming a little less by now, but I felt so tired and generally not good. Somehow I got through the night before collapsing in my bunk. Six next morning I was again awoken to the ‘sound’, the wingers were on duty again. Six-thirty the peak steward arrived and I knew I had to face a second day of this awful sickness. Having showered and dressed I set off for the saloon and suddenly realized I was not feeling as bad as on Friday, but I was still very tired and generally felt like **** on a stick. Though at this point no one had offered to get me one. Got through breakfast O.K. and again made the decision to go up on deck to get some air. This time I chose a deck more acceptable to the general crew, the fore deck. On reflection maybe I would have done better to go there the previous day.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My first day at sea

Well told John
    Brings back some good old Memories for me, and i am sure for quite a few others here as well.
    Those were the days mate, and will never be forgotten nor sadly repeated!
    We were the lucky ones John!
    Thanks
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Vernon, I do recall putting that on before but we have some new members.
    But as you say the memories are what this site is about and we must enjoy them whilst we may.
    No U Tube in the bone yard.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very good brings back memories .

6. Likes N/A, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Sailing time was always four in the afternoon On reflection maybe I would have done better to go there the previous day.
    - - - Updated - - -

This has just got to be an Union-Castle passenger ship??
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 14th October 2020 at 07:10 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks John - very well written I must say. Looking forward to more!

Ken
    R845905

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first day 6am call from one of the sailors. Hands off cocks
    on with socks, rise and shine for the Blue Star Line.
    The to the galley and then up to the boat deck for a big sack
    of spuds, which had to be pealed before breakfast. After
    which all the greasy pans and bergoo saucepan,
    Seemed like a never ending day plus the ragging fom the
    cooks and baker. The trip was due to last 3 months, after which
    I would have perhaps given up, but due to the N.Z. dock
    strike it lasted 9 months, by which time I had got used to
    everything and spent another 11 years at sea and loved it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My first day at sea was in Marseille South of France on a rainy winters day. I had served an apprenticeship as a mech fitter in an engineering factory and this was my first trip in the MN as Junior Engineer. I travelled and joined the ship wearing my uniform, not knowing this was not done. The ship an old Denholm's tanker the Burmah Zircon it was at a layby berth having just come out of drydock. Not only was I wearing the uniform I had a navy blue trench coat on as it was pissing down with rain. Someone spotted me and thought it was the French customs coming onboard so started hiding all the booze. I was on the ship almost 6 months and my uniform mishap on joining the ship was never forgotten.

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

what ship was your first trip, my first trip as anew bell boy on the oronsay in 1965 . ten to a cabin for new boys. round the world, not bad for a sixteen year old youngest crew member,a lot of memories to last a lifetime.i have a picture of the oronsay framed which i purchased from website, i look it every day regards owen

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My First day at Sea and First Ship as follows.
    Dunnottar Castle out of Cape Town 1958 bound for KG5 London.

After much running around ashore to get all my Papers cleared etc, i eventually got on Board and was shown my Cabin etc.
    After which i was taken to the First Class Dining Saloon, which had quite a few Steps leading down to the Main Eating Area.
    A Bucket in hand with Scrubbing brush and Cloths, and told to clean the Steps and all the surrounding Area , the Railings and then the Portholes.
    This was my first experience of this kind of work,and not what i was expecting for a First Class Asst Stwd at that time . LOL

After all my cleaning i was then told to go to my Cabin, get cleaned up correctly dressed for passenger service for the Evening Meal. As we sailed at about 4 pm that day, i had enough time thank goodness.
    Later i was then back in the Dining Saloon and standing ready in full dress as neat as a Pin, ready to welcome my 6 Passengers for Dinner!
    I was lucky that i only had Six on my first trip, which gave me plenty of time to give the best Service to them.
    After Dinner we the Stewards then had our Meal and so Yummy too, then the clean up and getting all ready for the next Mornings Breakfasts.

Then my first evening in the Pig and Whistle, a new experience and a great one , meeting with quite a few Lads and being told what to expect along the way to London.
    From there it was plain sailing and the best day i think of my life.
    What a lovely feeling to be on the high Seas!

And that was that!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

15. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast