Thread: My first day at sea

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: My first day at sea

Quote Originally Posted by Patricia Maltby View Post

- - - Updated - - -

This has just got to be an Union-Castle passenger ship??
    You got it in one, the Windsor Castle.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John
    My name is Geoffrey Witts i was an ABR, also Utility steward on Oriana in the 70s, were you a BRs on the Oriana. Great ship to work on, commonly called the big "O"
    Last edited by Geoffrey Witts; 15th October 2020 at 07:50 AM. Reason: misspelt big

4. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What a great story! Reminds me of a tale from my Father "Reginald DUSTY Miller" went to sea as a Bell Boy, after his maiden trip, told his Mother he didn't like it, her reply you'll keep going till you've paid for the uniform. He spent up until the early fifties with the Castle Line, the last being the Edinburgh Castle.
    My sister and I often talk fondly(ish) of the very early morning to wave Dad arriving at Southampton Docks and then sad good-byes 13 days later as they left at 4pm, on the dot, a Thursday afternoon. Just 13 days in port, half on leave the other half on board then away for six weeks, our only contact being email letters which I remember to be made of really thin blue paper.
    Would love to hear from anybody that remembers "Dusty" Miller, last known as a First-class Steward on the Edinburgh Castle.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joined the Royal Mail Lines 'Highland Monarch' as 3rd. R/O - the Chief R/O asked me to receive the Press Report for publishing in the next morning's passengers newspaper, no problem I thought as my morse was pretty good, but I encountered very heavy static on air as we left KG5 London downriver. Missed most of it - so Chief not entirely happy, which set the tone a bit. Things picked up considerably next day - arrived at Vigo, Northern Spain en route to South America, busy so late going ashore for a look around, picked up by two friendly Guardia Civil who led me to a seeming quiet house, knocked on the heavy grilled door and pushed me inside. Riotous crew inside in full swing with welcoming young ladies - as they say the rest is history.
    Experience gained quickly!

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Joined the British Ranger as an Engineer cadet at Finnart (Aug '56). Couple of days discharging then down to the Tail o' the Bank for engine repairs. Very glamourous start

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson Miller View Post
    What a great story! Reminds me of a tale from my Father "Reginald DUSTY Miller" went to sea as a Bell Boy, after his maiden trip, told his Mother he didn't like it, her reply you'll keep going till you've paid for the uniform. He spent up until the early fifties with the Castle Line, the last being the Edinburgh Castle.
    My sister and I often talk fondly(ish) of the very early morning to wave Dad arriving at Southampton Docks and then sad good-byes 13 days later as they left at 4pm, on the dot, a Thursday afternoon. Just 13 days in port, half on leave the other half on board then away for six weeks, our only contact being email letters which I remember to be made of really thin blue paper.
    Would love to hear from anybody that remembers "Dusty" Miller, last known as a First-class Steward on the Edinburgh Castle.
    Can you recall the time he was on the Edi, I remember a 'Dusty' Miller on the Windsor, first class head waiter in about 1961/2.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

11. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have no doubt that my dear late Uncle Dusty (Van der Poll) would have known Dusty Miller, as he too served on the Castle Liners at that time and he himself was very well known, being in Catering , Bedroom, Deck, Saloon , Bar Stwds. Pity that , but having said that i do somewhere in the back of my mind recall Uncle Dusty talking about another Dusty on Board one of the Ships, i think it was when he was on the Kenya Castle on the Round Africa Run??
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Vernon, Dusty was well known by all accounts and could well have been on the round run at one time.
    It was said he was so efficient he could run the saloon from his waist coat pocket.
    Very popular with the first class wingers.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

14. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funny that isnt it John as my Uncle Dusty was exactly the same, if it wasnt for different Surnames it could one and the same ! Dusty was impeccable at all times, very effecient and was so well known and liked by all.
    Two Dusty's alike i say!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2