Thread: Deck cadet training now

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Deck cadet training now

I know that today's cadet split their training time into phases, spending time at sea and equal time in college. At sea they work through tasks contained in their MNTB book, the format of which is almost universally adopted by many countries. When I was a cadet I had this book and it contained a section where deck cadets had to spend time gaining engine room experience. On my first ship I spent a month in the engine room on each watch shadowing the duty engineer and assisting them in not only their routine watch keeping duties but also in maintaining equipment that was part of there duties. I learnt how to lap in valve seats, repack glands, strip, clean and repair purifiers and clarifiers, record and fill in the engine room log book and was even allowed to start the main engine under supervision, from the engine control room. The chief engineer would task me of drawing my own schematic of the pipeline systems for the equipment that was each engineers specific area, e.g. fuel oil pipelines, generator pipelines and electrical distribution, etc, etc. All of which gave me an excellent basic engineering knowledge that would come in handy later on in years when as master I would be working with the chief engineer should be require extra time, man power etc. In the event of any problems or breakdown.
    Wonder if today's deck cadets still have to undertake any such similar engine room training?
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Deck cadet training now

Will the uks departure have any relevance to a change in the obvious European standards of training which I imagine the E.U. Had a deciding say on the certification routes of the present day ? JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sounds like timely and good experience John, only time we saw the engine room was to shout 'steam on deck' or 'water on deck' or to rig a stage, which seemed to be beyond the capabilities of anyone down the engineroom. You can guess the era from 'steam on deck'!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

From the latest Vindi newsletter.
    NYK Group Europe has warned seafarers of a bogus "Large scale maritime officer recruitment campaign" that asks maritime job seekers to hand over passports documents and money .
    The fraudsters are posing as NYK Group Europe. the company has reported the scam to authorities.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Des with all that is going on in the world just now it would be another of many, many scams going on just now.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I still have my book from the 70s, I must check my engine room time! It was done on an old tanker that didn’t have air conditioned control room and it was like a sauna.. I think I spent most of the time under a ducted fan.