Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7

Thread: Discharge Book or not

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Discharge Book or not

Hi Evan.
    Did you have a bad one after missing the Swansea to Devon ferry? Jeez you could have caught a bus and been there before she docked.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Post Re: Discharge Book or not

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Evan.
    Did you have a bad one after missing the Swansea to Devon ferry? Jeez you could have caught a bus and been there before she docked.

Des
    What happened on that one Des. Bit different . Had Three months or so Working holiday.,from my job in Melbourne .Worked a Swede ship . the Goonawarra. from Melb, to Rotterdam.
    Bit quiet at home ,most Mates could only get out on Friday nights
    Butlins ,Barry was opening for the Season. Got a job ,Security. Punch up ,most week-ends .Barry Boys At the Gate. joining on the end of returning Campers . Lashing out. on refusal..
    One night , Out of the Darkness , hail of stones came raining down Couldn't see the perpetrators. Says to myself .F this for eight Pounds. a week.
    Couple days later, went to White Funnel Fleet offices. AT Tiger Bay. Cardiff . Joined the Balmoral.
    Most Bristol Channel ports,. usually time for a few quick Pints at Ilfracombe . Sunday nights ,overnighted at Swansea .Porthcawl .first Port ,Monday. Asked The Mate o/k to leave in Porthcawl/ return that evening had a Dental App.at nearby .Bridgend
    Thought and said Couldn't see his way clear. . Thinks I . I can. Ties =up a Porthcawl. Goes Fwd. . Grabs my Bag , Ten mins later ,on Bus no dis.a books involved with them. .few weeks later was on my return Booking Angelina Laura.
    Party piece in Melb, with the exiles. Tell us about the time you jumped ship, at Porthcawl .

3. Thanks Doc Vernon, cappy thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With regard to discharge books, all of my time at sea i never had a passport, and like many others i have joined, and paid off in foreign places, so my discharge book was accepted as a passport i presume. My last ship i paid off was in Hamburg, 1964, down to hook of Holland by train, can anyone remember if you were stopped, say from Germany into Holland to have papers checked ??, i have no memory of that happening, mind i was probably three sheets to the wind, kt
    R689823

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ditto here too Keith only when i was in the RAF when i was going to be posted to Aden, and they then had to apply for a Passport for me.
    At all other times though travelled into anywhere with Seamans ID Card!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

At one time the Seamans Book was recognized as an equal to a passport, but that day is now sadly long gone.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7