Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Discharge Book or not

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Discharge Book or not

J S
    You definitely still need a discharge book to work at sea these days, as you well know your book is your official record of sea service and serves as evidence that you were employed in an official capacity on board.
    Company contracted seafarers still sign the articles of agreement whatever the flag state of the vessel. The NFD articles I used on British and Cayman islands registered ships had, instead of the section listing salaries for individual ranks, we placed a printed note (given by the MCA), to the effect that wages and leave were as per the individuals company contract and all on board had their own copy of their contract which these days I suppose have to comply with the IMO international Labour convention.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well I can vouch that a British Discharge book is not completely necessary in other flag vessels. I for one was Chief Officer on the Sunprincess In 1967. And my discharge book stayed stayed In my pocket it was in those days considered a crime to have a foreign ship in a B D B by the the BSF. Paper discharges were the way to go if required proof of seatime. Also it was never necessary for the master to have a discharge. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 2nd October 2020 at 11:29 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The way I look at it it is just as well I have a discharge book, it lets me know what ships I sailed on, the older I get the more I have to check.
    Then I have a load of paper discharges from my time on the NZ coast, again it is necessary to check if I was on a certain ship, it's an age related thing, just ask my wife.
    Cheers Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Anything that is an 'Aide Memoire' these days is a great help, this site is great for awakening memories, even by people just asking questions. I have my Discharge Book, my Watch Keeping Certificates, my references as a Mar Supt, letters from Masters of vessels I superintended, Letters from Companies offering me jobs and even all the invoices I issued when I had my own company, they all remind me of the busy and varied life I had all over the world and that I wasn't always a little old man, but led a life that youngsters today wouldn't even contemplate. No doubt they will end up in the skip when I'm gone, but when I'm gone I won't know one way or the other and I've never met anyone who came back to see what they did last time.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Baird View Post
    I don't ever recall having a Discharge Book, and no-one ever asked me for one.
    I spent 41 years at sea Apprentice to Master on cargo ships including a stint as a licensed North Sea Pilot finishing on the cross channel ferries out of Dover. I have both of my discharge books which are nearly full. Gerald Crease

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Join the Club Gerald. Its when the feet start to change to Fins that the doubts set in. To call them flippers was sacrilege to professional divers. Dont know if your time was the same as a Captain J.P. Hogg who also finished up the same as yourself. He was also a member of Trinity House about the 1960s. Regards JWS.
    Added to the above on or about 1997 I was working out of Darwin up into the Timor sea when they got a new assistant Harbour Master, I wish I could remember his name but cant, you may have known him as he was then a recent ex cross channel master. However I used to come and go into the port after informing port control without a pilot as I considered myself below the required tonnage. However word had it he was trying to get a hold of me, when he finally did he said I had to come and sit the pilotage excemption certificate . I said oK no problem how long does it take , the best part of a day he said, I said sorry I am never in port long enough. OK he said tell your owners to send you up a day early next time. I said I doubt they will do that as means an extra 2 days pay plus accomodation costs. Sure enough the following trip I was working out of Dampier where I had an excemption. Most seafarers of my time who came out here took them some time to get accustomed to different rules and regulations , all they had to remember however was the custom of the Port. Australia is not England thank God and most seamen appreciated it, at least I did. Cheers JWS PS When I refer to JP Hogg it was not as a X channel steamer but as a North Sea Pilot. . JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 18th October 2020 at 11:10 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Once hear tell there was a Doc on on e of the UCL round Africa who kept a discharge book.
    Not the normal kind you understand, this was just fort some of the crew, particularly those who went ashore on the in some of the ports.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

8. Likes Doc Vernon, j.sabourn liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That wasnt me John! Honest! LOL
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#57... That would have been the one with all the glass 2 inch squares on for the samples then John. Especially for people wanting to make a name for themselves. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes they have been a great asset. Always good to look at. To recall when and where ,etc,
    Hold Three Books, two Brits. and a Swede.
    One contains a Good Bit of over indulgence , A New Years Eve , At Port Everglades , Hic
    Found Good to be a bit of a misnomer .How could aGOOD mean BAD

12. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4 5 6 7 LastLast