Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Discharge Book or not

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Richard Moffat Baird

Quote Originally Posted by Ricky Baird View Post
    Perhaps as R/O with Marconi, we didn't get issued Discharge Books. To my knowledge, I never had one, as Marconi normally dealt with all our joining/leaving arrangements. Perhaps some other ex-R/O's can advise if a discharge book was required, but no-one ever questioned me on this.
    Hi Ricky. I'm also ex R/O and I most definitely do have a discharge book, and it was used every trip. As far as I know (and others here seem to agree) you couldn't have worked on British flag ships without one. I don't know about foreign flags though. With Marconi you'd never know which ship/flag you'd be sailing with next, so you must have had a discharge book back in the day. Same size as the old-style dark blue British passport, before we all became European citizens, and with a light blue/grey hard cover. Yours may have gone AWOL over the years, perhaps!

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well thanks for that Bernard at least we know that as i said , one as far as i knew could not serve on Merchant Ships without ONE , but also as said after 1972 when records ceased to be kept things changed, so who knows what happened then>
    Cheers

As Mike posted this is what it looked like well in my days ! And the Green ID Card , which had a Photo inside of it.

Discharge Book or not-119656166_3627062733995140_7922378277097676152_o-jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 24th September 2020 at 07:09 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Cant see what everyone is going on about, if you joined a British reg ship the Captain took your discharge book and returned it with VG's in appropriate slot , if you had been a good boy). This is a fact. On foreign flag ships the captain didn't give a toss as long as you had a cert of competency to show inspectors on arrival at foreign ports., and sometimes on a few FF ships the captain might ask for your ID card.
    R/O Richard Baird couldn't have signed on a shell tanker or a Fyffes banana boat without a discharge book, plus , marconi demanded a disch book, cert of competency and ID card before they would employ you. Degrading memories of East Ham marconi depot in the '50s , waiting to be seen after paying off on a 11 month voyage ( not heading straight home like your fellow shipmates) to have your Sundays at sea allocation granted etc , sitting waiting , waiting, then your ships call sign sent out over the loudspeaker in morse, signifying they would deign to see you now. Ugh Any doubts why I joined BP direct employ as soon as was possible!
    Francis Ralph R/O, ET off ,Comms Off etc etc disch bk R692715

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Terry Sullivan Guest

Picture is of a post war Discharge Book, wartime ones had thin covers and not too many pages, I suppose they didn't want to waste paper on a possible short use.
    Terry Sullivan R340406

7. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Terry Sullivan View Post
    Picture is of a post war Discharge Book, wartime ones had thin covers and not too many pages, I suppose they didn't want to waste paper on a possible short use.
    Terry Sullivan R340406
    My father's Dis A ( issued 1927) R96096 was dark blue, quite substantial and also had a flap which went over the edges of where it opened, I still have it, his second one is light blue the same as my own.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#28. I left the sea 1967 on getting married and sent my book back to Cardiff as was told had to when getting it in L.pool on joining, I returned to sea with Marconi in 1975 who sent me to Glasgow for a new book, so don't understand how you did not get one in 1972. Den

11. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Just some info, hope it may assist.

K.

https://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1987/408/made

13. Thanks Doc Vernon, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Discharge Book or not

Some very good info in the Documentatin Keith, Thanks Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

15. Likes happy daze john in oz, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apart from apprentices who did not get a discharge in book , cadets did. Was the master who did not require one. I sailed with FF. For a number of years and a dis. Book was unnecessary but would be used if asked for. At that time however it was a heinous crime to sail on non federated ships. And a bolliking was forthcoming if they found out. Attitudes in shipping went spiralling downwards after 1970 , which was the continuing downfall of the MN as we once knew it. JS
    R575129

17. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Apart from apprentices who did not get a discharge in book , cadets did. Was the master who did not require one. I sailed with FF. For a number of years and a dis. Book was unnecessary but would be used if asked for. At that time however it was a heinous crime to sail on non federated ships. And a bolliking was forthcoming if they found out. Attitudes in shipping went spiralling downwards after 1970 , which was the continuing downfall of the MN as we once knew it. JS
    I was an apprentice and got my discharge book in 1967. I think it was a couple of years later when the apprentice scheme (recognised by TUC) was changed to Cadet scheme and shortened and the TUC would not recognise it.

19. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon liked this post
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast