Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Discharge Book or not

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Richard Moffat Baird

Hi Ivan.
    I have an American crewman's landing certificate for New Orleans dated Nov18 1953 but there is no picture just all my details, perhaps being an all Welsh crew they didn't think we could hide anywhere, the accents would stand out.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still have somewhere in the house my discharge book and Seamans identity card, red covered.
    No one attempted to take it from me at any time and do not recall an y one giving me a NHS card in exchange.

I know I had problems with the Tax Office as they claimed I had not paid enough tax at one time, I wrote back and said tell that to the shipping company not me.
    Never heard any mote about it.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    That would have been tax on your Sundays at sea, the Baswards got me as I was leaving, paid more tax on that than anything else.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi John.
    That would have been tax on your Sundays at sea, the Baswards got me as I was leaving, paid more tax on that than anything else.
    Des
    Des mate, that is what happens when you ate an honest bloke. LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

5. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    Hi Richard
    All Seaman had or have a Discharge Book at one time or the other, it is a Record of your Ships you were on and your behaviour character while with a Company.
    It is impossible for you not to have had one. or some sort of Record of Service anyway.
    Cheers
    Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    I cannot say 100% here Ricky but as far as i am aware all Seaman no matter what Rank or Job they do have to have a Seamans Discharge Number , thus a Book to go along with it.
    Also we all on site have had this Book as well as a Seamans ID Card!
    Cheers
    https://www.ukshipregister.co.uk/sea...-seamans-card/

I stand corrected on this however ???????

https://www.superyachtcrewagency.com...arge-book/7736

Although this refers to Yachts on this , it does mention all Ship , exceptions are listed. But i doubt if any apply to you
    Cheers
    Doc,
    I e-mailed the Seafarers Registry with my details and query regarding Discharge Book/Seamans Card, and this is the reply…..

RE: Contact Form Request

seafarers_registry
    08:07 (1 hour ago)
    to me

Dear Mr Baird,

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have checked our electronic records and can see no entry for you having a UK Discharge Book or British Seaman’s Card, unfortunately.
    The Registrar General was not legally bound to keep records of seafarers after 1972, so I am sorry but we do not have a record of you or any documents you may have held.
    I am sorry I have been unable to help you.
    With kind regards,
    Trish
    Trish Thompson

+44 (0) 203 9085200
    Births, Deaths & Medals Officer +44 (0) 203 9085206
    Seafarers Team Seafarers.registry@mcga.gov.uk

Maritime & Coastguard Agency
    Registry of Shipping and Seamen
    Anchor Court
    Keen Road
    Cardiff
    CF24 5JW
    Safer Lives, Safer Ships, Cleaner Seas
    Maritime and Coastguard Agency - GOV.UK

.....As I joined Marconi Feb'73, it would appear Discharge Books were no longer a legal requirement. However, I do NOT know if a seafarer was still able to apply for one and get one issued, if requested. I was NOT requested to apply for Book/Card, and after my medical & other bureaucratic Mumbo Jumbo by Marconi, I was whisked off to GOTHENBURG, (NOT Bremerhaven as previously stated!), to join a Shell Tanker as 2nd R/O (1st trip at sea).
    I hope this clarifies the situation a bit. Mind you, I wish I DID have a Discharge book with my record at sea, as a memento and know EXACTLY the dates of joining & leaving.

Ricky

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ricky, not really clarification, all it says is 'they have no record of documents you MAY have held' but no doubt you appear young enough to remember what you did and did not have, if you only went to sea in '73

Rgds Ivan

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello Ricky
    Thanks for the reply on this and i am sorry that i did not tell you before about there being no Records kept if you were still at Sea after 1972 ,as this i knew a long time ago.
    However you have at least enlightened me on the Book issue thing, as although i did know as said ,that Records were not kept officially after 1972, i thought that a Seaman would still have a Book or at least an ID Card.
    I know that one could apply for one through the Coastgaurd Site . Anyway so that clears that one up/
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Ricky, not really clarification, all it says is 'they have no record of documents you MAY have held' but no doubt you appear young enough to remember what you did and did not have, if you only went to sea in '73

Rgds Ivan
    Hello Ivan,
    I only recall going with My Passport, Radio Operators Handbook, MPT & BOT certificates (Auth to Operate). Sometimes in Port, the Captain would task me with gathering ID details (Passports or whatever) to satisfy the customs before we all dash ashore to visit the Local Cafes and Museums....Ah, Santos in Brazil brings back many memories, one of them being in trouble with the local females for doing a 'Butterfly'..... one should only drink at the same well & NOT flutter about.... according to the vicar from the local Seamans Mission, whilst exchanging books!
    Ricky
    Last edited by Ricky Baird; 22nd September 2020 at 10:27 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I too, worked for Marconi and upon joining had to have a Discharge book and Seaman's book.When I worked foreign flag,i still presented my discharge book,some captains would sign me on and off and others didnt bother.Those foreign flag ships included,Liberian,Panamanian,Hong Kong,St.Vincent and the Grenadines,Swedish.I dont think Richard could have been employed without a Discharge book.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Colin Watson View Post
    I too, worked for Marconi and upon joining had to have a Discharge book and Seaman's book.When I worked foreign flag,i still presented my discharge book,some captains would sign me on and off and others didnt bother.Those foreign flag ships included,Liberian,Panamanian,Hong Kong,St.Vincent and the Grenadines,Swedish.I dont think Richard could have been employed without a Discharge book.
    Ricky will know whether he had a Dis A or not, but from my own personal experience working as a M/Supt for British/Swiss and UAE shipowners with vessels under UK/Liberian/Panama/Singapore flags every vessel owned by those companies all the seamen regardless of rank had a Discharge Book of some description. The Panama and Singapore were virtual carbon copies of the UK Discharge Book and the so called F O C vessels trading with Australia certainly had to have all documents in order, and having changed flags on vessels in OZ, the Shipping Master would not sign on any seaman without his record book. If a seaman presented himself for employment without one in the companies I served he was not employed. Others will probably have had different experiences

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast