Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Discharge Book or not

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Richard Moffat Baird

Not actually the same i guess but also brings to mind my very first trip out of Cape Town, i was issued with a Paper Document (Temp Seamans Card) from the Union Castle Offices in the Dock Area then.
    It had a Photo of yours truly Finger Prints and Documentation of all my particulars.
    This i had to hand to the Captain of the Ship when i boarded , it was kept by him , later on completion of that first Voyage i had to then go to the Pool in London where more Pics were taken and other info etc, a few days later back there to pick up my real issue Dis Book and ID Card. Wow!! was i proud then i had officially become a real Registered Seaman of the great British Merchant Navy! Walked away with my Chest so far out people had to pass by at a distance or they would have been bowled over! LOL
    Then of course a wee bit of shore leave and then happily very happily back to the next Ship that lay awaiting for this here novice! KG5 what a Buzz!! I was fixated with Awe! had never seen so much activity in a Harbour before, Cranes galore, Stevedores and others working flat out, Ships everywhere not a Berth empty what a sight! everyone hustling and bustling about, gosh it was so exciting! I was in a new World and one which i knew i was about to enjoy to the full.

Better stop now or i may just keep on and on! LOL
    Cheers Lads! The likes of most all of you here taught me the way around, and i learnt fast, i also had so many good Friends of that i am still truly greatfull, as i am also to many of you here on site! No need for names as i am sure you all know that i like youse all (The use comes from the ex Boxer here Jeff Fenech!) LOL
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 19th September 2020 at 10:36 PM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Denis,
    Thanks for the reply. I was directly employed by MARCONI, who sent me to ships. Shell Tanker 'SS ZENATIA'/ Chemical Carrier 'MV EID' & Fyffes Reefer 'MV MANZANARES'. They were under BRITISH registration. I honestly cannot recall a thing about any Discharge Book, however, I have emailed the Seamens Reg website indicated in a previous post, for some clarification/any info if I had one issued. I CANNOT understand how I would have been allowed to join a ship without said document, given all that is being said, but, as a ship cannot proceed without an R/O (At that point in time!), who knows, blind eye, etc???
    I hope I have not opened a hornets nest here, but the point remains...NO recollection of a Discharge Book...or my memory has indeed gone to POT!
    I still have my MPT GENERAL RADIOCOMMS Cert/Authority to operate & my BOT Radar Maintenance Certificate. Odd indeed. Any other R/O out there with a similar position?
    When I left Glasgow Nautical College Jan/Feb '73, everything seemed to happen quickly, next thing I know, I'm on my way to Bremerhaven to join the SS Zenatia as jnr R/O....
    Maybe perhaps if I DID have it, it was 'left behind' somewhere & forgotten about. I only did 2 yrs or so, so it would have come out in the wash sooner or later, not as present nearly 50 yrs later....
    .. I have to apologise , gentlemen, for this 'grenade thrown in', it was NOT my intention to fuel a long debate!
    Last edited by Ricky Baird; 20th September 2020 at 09:55 AM.

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Just wondering if you recall what you may have used when going
    ashore in other countries, passport or similar?

Keith.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post
    Just wondering if you recall what you may have used when going
    ashore in other countries, passport or similar?

Keith.
    Hi Keith,
    I used to be tasked with gathering crews passports/id's for purpose of customs and trips ashore... I DO remember doing that, as others were busy with deck tasks, etc..
    Ricky..

6. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Gather you had some form of ID then,
    have you retained it ?

K.

8. Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was at sea you had to have a Discharge Book to sign on, as soon as you signed on these were relinquished into the Master's care and kept in the Master's safe (or the Pursers safe, if you carried a purser) you never saw your Discharge Book again until you signed off and received it along with any balance of pay that was due to you. These Dis A's were produced by the Master to the Immigration Authorities at each port along with the Articles of Agreement. Shore passes especially in B A and other S American ports were issued by immigration and they had your photo and in some ports, fingerprints as well. In the USA you were issued with an 'Aliens Landing Card' which had your photo on it, no other document was acceptable to shore authorities (I still have mine from 1954), it may prove useful if we are ever visited by aliens from another planet !! (see! I'm one of you!) Never saw a passport in my time at sea. You never had to surrender your Identity Card (mine is green) to the vessel, this had your photo (with Discharge book number in the photo) and all your finger prints in it.
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 20th September 2020 at 09:06 PM.

10. Thanks N/A, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

RE: this had your photo (with Discharge book number in the photo)

Thanks Ivan, explains what I was fishing for.

K.

12. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As did the ID Cards as well Keith!
    Cheers

profilepic.jpg
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 20th September 2020 at 10:29 PM.

R697530

14. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As I remember, I had to hand in my red I.D. Card at the pool in return for my National Insurance card when I came ashore. I have my Dis book but never saw my ID card again.
    Duke Drennan R809731

16. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Duke
    Although i had lost my ID and Disc Book , i had the Green ID Card at the time, my late Brother likewise.
    I recall that he was able to keep both Book and ID Card when we left the Merchant Navy, however things could have well changed?

Why i recall this was because when we went to join the Foreign Legion , he had his Book and Card and i did not , so when we were taken in for the Interview i was questioned as to why i did not have any ID. Of course there wasnt much drama after i just told them that i had lost them on the way over from Dover ( A little lie LOL) but they said OK.
    I had actually lost it in a different way that i wasnt going to tell them, my secret LOL
    cHEERS

R697530

18. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast