Thread: Media Bias and ignorance of true facts.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Media Bias and ignorance of true facts.

I don’t know if put on site before, the following , which other posts come close to. The title of this post.. On clearing out drawers to make room for. More of what I hope is not rubbish came across the two letters (. Copies of old correspondences) which before discarding hope they show what we have to watch by the ignoramus “s of this world. Call it bias or whatever you want but shows little regard for the truth.

My letter to the owners of the Mermaid Vigilence...

Dear Sir,
    I am addressing this to the operations manager , I suppose it should be to whom it may concern.
    I watched the Sunday Night show on Ch. 7 last night , Sunday , and May I say I have never seen so much crap.
    It concerned one of your vessels. The program dwelled totally on an obvious pack of longshoremen on a Jack up.
    The so called captain of such had much to say about nothing really and was the usual ploy I would say for compensation .
    Unless I am wrong , and in which case the whole scenario changes, there was no mention of the obvious duty of this may I say Capt. of the Jack up putting out a Nayday or even a Pan, in which case. I would suggest he was responsible for subsequent events.
    I used to work for your company and other various companies in the area so am conversant with such types of shipping even though I retired 10 years ago.
    I sincerely hope that the master of your vessel is not taking this to heart and becoming too depressed and. Fights back if he thinks he is in the right. I hope also that you are giving him the backing if he need it.
    I was at the Piper Alpha disaster in 1988 and know what the press are like which I have little time for.
    I felt I had to write this letter as support for your employee even though I do not know him .I have already sent an email to the program they no doubt will throw it in the wastepaper basket. If you ever need any remarks or suggestions on what they should do with the program discussed , don’t hesitate to call me.

Best Regards.

Answer toletter dated 4. March 2012.

Can I firstly say it is quite heartening that people like you can see the programme for whatit was and are prepared to say something about it.
    As you can imagine , I was personally and professionally appalled at the level of bias in the reporting and we have written a letter of complaint to Ch. 7. The selective editing and leading questions by R.C. Did not in any way give a fair and balanced report on the facts as they pertained either to our master our Conpany or the events which unfolded during Hurricane Nate.
    As you point out in your letter , it was a very difficult decision for our master to take but we believe that it was the right decision in the circumstances toprotect the lives of the 37 crew and passengers on board the Mermaid Vigilance.
    We are confident that the official investigations will support the actions and decisions of our Master.
    I haves an Ed your letter and sent it to the master of the Mermaid Vigilant so that he knows there are intelligent people in other parts of the world who are supportive of his actions.
    Once again thank you for taking the time to write to us and I wish you all the best.
    Regards.

I believe the case was thrown out on its ear hole. I am p,eased to say.
    I may have posted this 8 years ago so apologies if have done so. But the letters are now consigned to the dust bin and would hate to see them not exposed as an example of sometimes a very dubious media.

JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 24th September 2020 at 07:03 AM.
    R575129