Thread: Missing cadet from VLCC

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Missing cadet from VLCC

Call me a cynic but read through this and see if you too find something suspicious in the answers from the ship and her owners.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://indianexpress.com/article/ci...-6602055/lite/

2. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins, happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Missing cadet from VLCC

Not a lot of information to go on John, as a family member I would have expected more detailed information from the company and involved authorities on how the search was carried out and supported by AIS information etc, showing that the vessel deviated from her set courses, etc, all seems to be very cavalier, but then again a seaman's life is worth nothing and never has been.
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 20th September 2020 at 07:14 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan
    Yes all that stuff should have been passed on but the lad did message his sister saying he was going to report the captain after he found him asleep at his table? Did he think the captain was drunk?
    Rgds
    J.A.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon, Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi John.
    It wouldn't have been a good take to inform the captain that he was going to report him, if for some reason his story may have been supported by others it would have meant the captain being in deep do do. Big ship deep sea, I think the boy was foolish, should have kept his mouth shut until in port.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

"......he messaged me ‘I need help’ and sent me multiple photos of his senior commanding officer sleeping on his work desk. Dhananjay called me soon after sending the texts and said that he is being harassed… He said he was planning to take legal action once he gets back…"

1. Can it be presumed that the 'senior commanding officer' was the Captain?
    2. For what reason was he being harassed?
    3. Did the sleeper awake to find himself being at the front end of a camera or was the harassment over something else completely, not even the sleeping.
    4. Why would a crew member suggest taking 'legal' action and would this be within the ship-ownership or privately ashore somewhere? Success of the latter would be at best questionable unless criminal and with evidence. (Which may be why the photos though sleeping on duty would hardly be a criminal act)
    5. There do seem to be several shore based organisations involved so one must also consider the possibility/probability of information received by the family as being correct though inadequate.
    6. The Captain phoned but was he also the sleeper covering himself, or simply officially, as the Captain, reporting the demise to the family on behalf of the owners.
    7. Have run out of ideas,
    Ken T
    R412277

8. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reminds me of a true story from my younger years.

A young man of about 20 in the Royal Navy went missing in port.
    The ship was in Hong Kong in about 1955.
    His mother, a friend of my mother, receives a telegram to say her son is missing presumed to have been lost at sea.

According to the report he was last seen onboard about two hours before the ship sailed, but did not turn to for his watch.
    This was about three or for hours after sailing.
    According to reports all was done in an effort to find him, all to no avail.

About 30 years later, his mother dead by then, a ship mate tells the story in a book he wrote about his life story. How my mother got to find out about this I never did find out.
    According to him the man had jumped ship to be with a local girl he was in love with.
    Like many a young man a common act, but why he never got in touch with his mother was never explained.

Is this a similar story with this young man?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This Cadet reminds of being a:-

Wee sleekit timerous beastie, with a panic in his breestie.

Here's another question,
    Is he or was he a Man or Mouse?
    One thing for sure, this Cadet was never going to be the Master's pet.

Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ken Trehearne View Post
    "......he messaged me ‘I need help’ and sent me multiple photos of his senior commanding officer sleeping on his work desk. Dhananjay called me soon after sending the texts and said that he is being harassed… He said he was planning to take legal action once he gets back…"

1. Can it be presumed that the 'senior commanding officer' was the Captain?
    2. For what reason was he being harassed?
    3. Did the sleeper awake to find himself being at the front end of a camera or was the harassment over something else completely, not even the sleeping.
    4. Why would a crew member suggest taking 'legal' action and would this be within the ship-ownership or privately ashore somewhere? Success of the latter would be at best questionable unless criminal and with evidence. (Which may be why the photos though sleeping on duty would hardly be a criminal act)
    5. There do seem to be several shore based organisations involved so one must also consider the possibility/probability of information received by the family as being correct though inadequate.
    6. The Captain phoned but was he also the sleeper covering himself, or simply officially, as the Captain, reporting the demise to the family on behalf of the owners.
    7. Have run out of ideas,
    Ken T
    R412277
    Well thought out, Ken. There are several weird aspects to the story.
    1 The sleeper (Captain?) was at his "work desk". The only place the Captain should be awake is in charge of the bridge, and that is not a "work desk". If it was his office desk with a mountain of paperwork why shouldn't he take a kip?
    2 The "harassment" is a strange term, even allowing for language differences. My first two trips as Cadet were with a Captain who was a bully and a pretty unpleasant person. I still would not have thought I was being "harassed". Sounds like mutual dislike to me, in which case the junior should go with the flow as it would not last for ever. Equally, who was at fault? When I was Chief Officer I had a Cadet who was clever but bone idle. I suspect that my telling him to get up in the morning to turn to counted as harassment to him!!

Definitely a strange story.

Barry Peck