https://news.stv.tv/west-central/ser...nto-arran-pier

Fouro.

2. Thanks Tony Taylor, Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: PS Waverley accident.

Damage looks fairly superficial, so lets hope she's back on course shortly.

Quote of the month 'there was a big impact and the boat stopped suddenly' Och! laddie! it would wouldn't it!

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Understandably, given the damage to the ship, the remainder of Waverley’s 2020 sailing season has been cancelled.

Keith.

5. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Fouro, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Apart from the people who were injured, one of the main points of the report is, that some passengers aboard the ship said it didn't slow down approaching the pier as it normally did.
    Also potential passengers waiting to board the ship at Arran Pier also mentioned it didn't slow down.
    Could it be that the Telegraph was faulty?.

Fouro.

7. Likes Denis O'Shea, Doc Vernon, N/A liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It looks so obvious that an Astern movement was not carried out.

Fouro.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paddle steamers have always made fast approaches, great reliance having been put on the engines and control system. It is actually the best way to manoeuvre them. It is a particular craft, perfected over years by the men who grew up with and on them. Nowadays, the number of handlers who have real hands on experience with them is extremely small. Could this simply be a question of lack of such experience and nothing else?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We can all speculate the cause, but time will tell, I think there is one thing we can 'almost' be sure of, it wasn't deliberate as entirely the wrong mode of transport for a kamikaze pilot!

Lets face it lack of experience is an unlikely cause as most people working on this type of vessel are dedicated to its success and after such a lengthy restoration would have been doubly careful, perhaps just an unfortunate mechanical failure at an inopportune moment, life can be a bitch sometimes
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 5th September 2020 at 09:26 AM.

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Too many people are making inappropriate comments, and should refrain from making judgement.
    Totally agree with Ivan's comments and await result of investigation of this accident.
    She has been operating successfully for most of her 74 years (same age as me) and few accidents along the way, but always returned to service and bring much pleasure for her thousands of followers.
    Captain Steve Colledge is a well respected Master Mariner, who has skippered Waverley many times over the years, both on the Clyde and down south, and manages Waverley's unique handling with great skill and expertise. Whatever happened at Brodick, am sure was no fault of the skipper, and know he will be upset by what has happened to his beautiful charge.
    Wish all injured passengers and crew, speedy recovery and look forward to our steamer being repaired and returned to service in 2021.

Cheers Jamie
    Waverley Nutter from Auckland, New Zealand

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re #8.

1st,
    I enjoyed reading your post Jamie.
    2nd,
    I have always had fond feelings for the PS Waverley as she was the first ship I ever sailed on. We sailed on her going on holiday in the years 1948, 1949 and 1950.
    3rd,
    I don't recall anyone being singled out in any of the previous posts for causing the accident at Arran Pier.
    4th,
    Whether it was a boiler or mechanical.fault, I still maintain the Waverley failed to carry out an Astern movement.
    5th,
    Just thinking about your age Jamie, you must have been eleven years old when I was serving as a 4th engineer aboard a 20,000 ton steam turbine oil tanker in 1957.

Regards from,
    Fouro.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Fouro View Post
    Re #8.

1st,
    I enjoyed reading your post Jamie.
    2nd,
    I have always had fond feelings for the PS Waverley as she was the first ship I ever sailed on. We sailed on her going on holiday in the years 1948, 1949 and 1950.
    3rd,
    I don't recall anyone being singled out in any of the previous posts for causing the accident at Arran Pier.
    4th,
    Whether it was a boiler or mechanical.fault, I still maintain the Waverley failed to carry out an Astern movement.
    5th,
    Just thinking about your age Jamie, you must have been eleven years old when I was serving as a 4th engineer aboard a 20,000 ton steam turbine oil tanker in 1957.

Regards from,
    Fouro.
    Ditto for me Fouro, when I was 13, I was staying with relatives in Helensburgh and we had a day out on the Waverly sailing from Craigendoran. I can still see the engine room in my mind and the smell of hot oil and steam, Must have got the bug from there.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast