Thread: Big brother is watching you!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Big brother is watching you!

New software,..again!!!! Monitors vessels performance against charter party agreement automatically, so no sneaky slowing down or diverting in order to arrive late or do a bit of sight seeing.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://gcaptain.com/metis-introduce...eid=3b737aa316

2. Thanks Captain Kong, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Big brother is watching you!

That technology would have perhaps dissuaded Captain Phillips of taking a short cut too close to the Somalian coast aboard the container Maersk Alabama. Most of us has seen the movie, brilliant acting all round, but the crew engaged us lawyers to sue Phillips for endangering life. I think its still going through the US system. I'm not sure of the geography of the area, perhaps some ancient Mariners aboard here could draw a map. She was headed for Kenya.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by john gill View Post
    That technology would have perhaps dissuaded Captain Phillips of taking a short cut too close to the Somalian coast aboard the container Maersk Alabama. Most of us has seen the movie, brilliant acting all round, but the crew engaged us lawyers to sue Phillips for endangering life. I think its still going through the US system. I'm not sure of the geography of the area, perhaps some ancient Mariners aboard here could draw a map. She was headed for Kenya.
    John I wrote extensively sometime ago about Capt Philips who was a tw*t turned into a hero for USA consumption. He ignored the courses laid down by the 2nd mate who had followed UN advice for safe passage along that coast which would have kept the vessel in close proximity of various naval vessels specifically in the area for protection purposes. The Chief engineer and the Bosun (representing deck crew) were the first to instigate legal proceedings against Maersk and Philips. I believe it was settled out of court a few years later. Only seamen would have noticed the glaring mistakes in the film

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I watched that film, and the best part to me for information was how they boarded those ships. I did not go to sea on ships anyway near that size, but passing by those container ships in Southampton waters, the size above sea level amazes me. There have been many ways to dissuade these pirates, a bullet probably being the best one, but i don't know how the guardrail method invented by a couple locally, was supposed to make them millions , does anyone know if they were installed on a regular basis ?, these in the link are the ones to which i refer, kt

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...es-tracks.html
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Had a look at those devices. Hope they're effective.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    John I wrote extensively sometime ago about Capt Philips who was a tw*t turned into a hero for USA consumption. He ignored the courses laid down by the 2nd mate who had followed UN advice for safe passage along that coast which would have kept the vessel in close proximity of various naval vessels specifically in the area for protection purposes. The Chief engineer and the Bosun (representing deck crew) were the first to instigate legal proceedings against Maersk and Philips. I believe it was settled out of court a few years later. Only seamen would have noticed the glaring mistakes in the film
    hi ivan cloherty
    i saw a documentary with some of the crew, to a man they would agree to every good word you had about cpt philips.
    tom
    Last edited by thomas michael; 11th November 2020 at 03:15 PM. Reason: mis-spelling

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Making movies from such incidents is not a good way to inform the public of the truth.
    The movie makers will change or omit bits to suit the story in order to get a better responce.

Many a movie concerning the sea has so many glaring mistakes makes it obvious they never consult with any sea faring persons when filming.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

10. Likes John Gill, Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post

Many a movie concerning the sea has so many glaring mistakes makes it obvious they never consult with any sea faring persons when filming.
    They used Capt Phillips as a technical advisor and Tom Hanks spent a lot of time with him...draw your own conclusions

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    They used Capt Phillips as a technical advisor and Tom Hanks spent a lot of time with him...draw your own conclusions
    Not aware of that, but could it be there are instances they do not want the public to know about, might cause an embaressment.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller