So Sowwy. Will that do ? JS
    R575129

2. Likes thomas michael, N/A, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: British Ship Repairing

would only say JS ...if a girl working for a handful of rice in china on a machine......and a guy building a ship in china .......are competing with a oz girl on a machine or an oz ship builder on oz wages .....and both working to the same standard with the same quality of materials ......private enterprise doesnt come into it ...there is only one survivor ......cost is what makes any business viable or non viable...the end being no profit no businness no jobs ....sad but true....there is always a market for cheaper even if shoddy goods ...cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    Australia (it is reported) is entering strange times with China, as China is refusing to buy any more iron ore from Australia until Oz apologizes for some derogatory political remarks about China's interference in Australian affairs and Australia's refusal to accept Huawaeii 5G because of its (Alleged) spying inferences (as has the USA and UK). As iron ore is oz's biggest export and China it's biggest customer for it then there may be no money in the kitty to purchase Chinese goods. Luckily for John Oz will be able to produce enough home grown shorts and T-shirts for his needs, but screw caps for the hats will replace the corks they got from Portugal
    hi ivan cloherty
    ive spent my entire life avoiding apologies to anybody, simply because they dont work , except for the wife, whom is too strong a character not to apologise too.
    tom

5. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i and many others will remember the 70s and before....but what caused the closing of the yards in your estimation......regards cappy

7. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    would only say JS ...if a girl working for a handful of rice in china on a machine......and a guy building a ship in china .......are competing with a oz girl on a machine or an oz ship builder on oz wages .....and both working to the same standard with the same quality of materials ......private enterprise doesnt come into it ...there is only one survivor ......cost is what makes any business viable or non viable...the end being no profit no businness no jobs ....sad but true....there is always a market for cheaper even if shoddy goods ...cappy
    hi cappy
    i watched two guys i had working for me one day,( not spying i had simply parked across the road ) one was pushing the full wheelbarrow to the skip whilst the other was walking alongside carrying two bricks, i realised then that the costs didnt add up. someone had to go
    tom

9. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i agree tom i am whispering this in case she hears ......cappy

11. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

tom in those immortal words of john wayne don't apologize its a sign of weakness?lol we all should know by now wives are always right{well mine is} she is looking at me? jp

13. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi cappy
    i watched two guys i had working for me one day,( not spying i had simply parked across the road ) one was pushing the full wheelbarrow to the skip whilst the other was walking alongside carrying two bricks, i realised then that the costs didnt add up. someone had to go
    tom
    ...tom in the shipyards there would have been five fellers carrying two bricks because there was no one allowed to push the barrow cos ....dare i say it no one had the union card to push it due to demarcation......cappy

15. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
    Likes thomas michael liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    ...tom in the shipyards there would have been five fellers carrying two bricks because there was no one allowed to push the barrow cos ....dare i say it no one had the union card to push it due to demarcation......cappy
    hi cappy
    thats the answer you where searching for, But because subconsciously you already knew the answer but just accepted as being normal ie the practice throughout the industry was the same, just look at the docks, my own brother was a boss down there and if you needed ( anything at all )or needed to speak to him you would find him at home.
    tom

17. Thanks cappy thanked for this post
    Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

sorry to say this but the landing stage liverpool the boilermakers were taking as much as 6 weeks to patch a hole in one pontoon and disrepair to the whole stage followed we would still have the old landing stage today if maintenance was kept up? jp

19. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast