Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: Mauritius

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mauritius

We can all tell what we think may have occurred but it will take a full enquiry to determine the facts of this disaster .
    Over the years the number of ships that have run aground in similar situations is vast.

So many combinations of events that lead to such an event as this.

But it does appear as if the clean up is going well, let us hope it is all cleaned up before any more damage to the local environment.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

ivan may be i did comment a bit to soon but i will be interested in the result and watching for them i am not out to keel haul anyone yet mate not yet? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by happy daze john in oz View Post
    Over the years the number of ships that have run aground in similar situations is vast.

Depends what you mean by 'vast' as opposed to those that haven't had any grounding in the same period, any ideas of the number of groundings, any idea of the number of environmental disaster groundings in the same period of years you are quoting. Any idea of the number of voyages the 55,000 merchant vessels made in the same period. Lets keep things in perspective, just curious. When I lived in Hull I always read in the local paper about the number of drunk seamen (1 - 5) who had appeared in court the previous day, I never read anything about the thousands of seamen in the port on that particular date who hadn't appeared in court

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

She has now broken her back, so it's any ones guess as to what happens next, I suppose a tow to Alange.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That will be some two Des.

It appears that most of the oil is now off and the clean up is going relatively well, but the long term damage is yet to be assessed and may not be known for many years to come.

As to the vast number of ships that come to grief in nay manner, it is only those such as this one that make the headlines.

Just be thankful it was not in Southampton, there was a magistrate there at one time who had a daughter who was put up the duff by a merchant seaman.
    Any such who came before him after that got the lot thrown at him for any crime no matter how small.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It is with horror and incredulity that I have just read a report that the 58 year old Master of the vessel sailed closer to Mauritius than allowed by the owners to enable the vessel to get a wi-fi signal for one of the crew whose birthday it was. If this is true, then I totally agree with all those who have called for the Master to be hung, drawn and quartered, what in God's name was he thinking. Him and the Italian Master of the Costa Coffee vessel, make us thoroughly ashamed of our profession, lets hope he has a long time in jail to reflect upon his decision and for tarring all the conscientious seafarers out there with the same brush. You couldn't make it up

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan, that is an example of how there are still some idiots with a skipper license.

It is illegal to wash tanks at sea now but the number of oil; slicks we have seen when on a cruise tells me there are still those who ignore the law.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

i will still wait for the results but if true will this be a question on masters certificates in future the buck starts and stops with the master it was only a rumor the day after the grounding? seamen will always have each others backs but i think in this case he should be made to change his profession with immediate effect. i suppose the the shipping company will go into liquidation and not pay a penny for this disaster? by the way it was my birthday at the same time as this but i had nothing to do with this disaster? jp

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#32 Yes John it started out as a rumour about the wi-fi, but port authorities and police have interviewed the crew and the only conclusion that they can come to, at this time, is that the rumour was true. I didn't believe it at the time, what seaman would, as it was beyond comprehension that any Master/Navigator would put their vessel into danger, when all your life you have been trained to keep your vessel/crew/cargo safe at all times.

AIS tracking also shows that the vessel altered course towards the island shores, historical weather routeing shows there was no bad weather at the time of altering course, but did occur later to aggravate the grounding.

Master's change of profession is inevitable regardless of the outcome, and if the rumour turns into fact then his days of sewing canvas covers for lifeboats will prove most useful in sewing canvas mail bags.

The Japanese company has no need to go into liquidation, as all the clean up and salvage costs will be borne by the Underwriters/Insurance where there is a separate premium covering these eventualities, regardless who may be at fault, something akin to the NCB protection on your car insurance where you pay extra for it.

It will prove interesting as facts, rather than possible fiction emerge, I think that the investigation may receive some priority, interesting times ahead

12. Thanks John Pruden thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If the captain did steer a course to take the vessel within wifi range why was he not on the bridge monitoring the ECDIS and GPS position? Looking at pictures of the vessel, now broken in two with the stern section containing 166 tons of fuel remaining onboard still aground, it appears to have satellite communication come on the mast. If the captain was so concerned for the crew members wellfare why did he not allow him a satellite phone call instead of putting his vessel into danger just for a WiFi phone call. Possibly another example of how today's seafarers cannot do without having there mobile phones on them and being able to use them at all times, even if it's just to check their Facebook page.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    Last edited by John Arton; 18th August 2020 at 01:22 PM.

14. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast