Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Christmas in July.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Christmas in July.

Correct me if I'm wrong, for those of you living upside down, it's your winter and as such, you celebrate Christmas this week-end ? If so, please, enjoy yourselves SAFELY !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Christmas in July.

Mark, it was way back in 1980.
    I was food services manager in a large department store, Myer, and the manager was a South African.

I approached him ad suggested we run a Christmas in July celebration in the two restaurants in the store.
    For a moment he thought I was mad but agreed to it. Had little choice as his name was Potgiter but all called him Potty for short.

Within two years half the restaurants in Melbourne were doing it.
    Not so popular now as back then and with the current lock down no restaurants in Melbourne open now.

Can do a good take away though!!!!!
    Last edited by happy daze john in oz; 24th July 2020 at 05:39 AM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Thanks Terry Sullivan thanked for this post
    Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My pals out in the W.A. are going with: " Roast lamb, vegetables, Yorkshire puddings, apple crumble and custard. None of this throwing a shrimp on the barbie crap ! "

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Celebrating Christmas in July isn’t just for Australians, it is also celebrated in other countries.

https://lifejourney4two.com/christmas-in-july/

K.

Last edited by Keith at Tregenna; 24th July 2020 at 11:47 AM.

6. Thanks Mark Keever, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Believe it or not Keith in July in Oz you can get snow. I sailed with a Russian Ch, Engineer when working for a Malaysian company, he wanted to emigrate to Australia which I assisted him with the paperwork which came to nothing as had to front up with a $1000 just to hand the papers in for perusal. However during the course of this investigation his biggest regret was as he said not being able to snow ski. He believed like most people that Australia was purely a land of sunshine , and don’t think he believed me of the International standard of ski slopes in Oz. The other big day here is Melbourne Cup Day where nearly all work stops forthe big race. Cheers JS
    R575129

8. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Mark Keever thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

I have rellies in Oz that Ski there.

K.

10. Thanks Doc Vernon, Mark Keever thanked for this post
    Likes Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    Believe it or not Keith in July in Oz you can get snow. I sailed with a Russian Ch, Engineer when working for a Malaysian company, he wanted to emigrate to Australia which I assisted him with the paperwork which came to nothing as had to front up with a $1000 just to hand the papers in for perusal. However during the course of this investigation his biggest regret was as he said not being able to snow ski. He believed like most people that Australia was purely a land of sunshine , and don’t think he believed me of the International standard of ski slopes in Oz. The other big day here is Melbourne Cup Day where nearly all work stops forthe big race. Cheers JS
    Hi JS Ski instructors from Os and Tasi come to our hill every winter.
    During your winter, ours go down under.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes Mark quite correct
    A lot of us here in Aussie will celebrate Xmas in July , many will be having their BBQ as usual, but there will be many as well who save this day for a good old fashioned Roast Dinner with all the Trimmings, Crackers, Hats Champers, Puds and the lot.
    There are a few good places as well around here in the Blue Mountains that cater each Year for it, but as John in Oz says this Year will not be too good owing to the damn Virus! But still i see Today at least four Hotels around close to me are having Sunday Roast! Yummy. Could not get a Booking anywhere here though,as the numbers have been reduced quite a lot,so its Roast at Home for us!
    I am making a Roast Beef, Roast Chicken with Roast Potatoes, Roasr Pumpkin peas and a nice Gravy. Along with a good Curry (Hot) and some nice Boiled Rice. Sambals on the side with Chillies too.
    We still have a pack of Table Crackers from last Xmas (December) so will be pulling those at Table, hope the Hats are good again ! LOL
    The weather is going to be like xmas here as well, with predictions of cold Wintery wet , conditions , no Snow this Year though. So will have to do without the White Stuff .
    We normally do get Snow here , so this is one Year we are missing out!
    However the Ski Fields are having a good Cover and many are flocking to their normal venues all over.

Thanks for the Wishes to all of us here Down Under!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Mark.
    Woke up this morning with thick ice on the inside of our bedroom windows, we always sleep with them open.
    These picture are from the local paper, taken down the ski fields which are about a forty minute drive away on Thursday.
    Des

Snow in Juky.jpgSnow two.jpg
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

[QUOTE=Des Taff Jenkins;351316]Hi Mark.
    Woke up this morning with thick ice on the inside of our bedroom windows, we always sleep with them open.
    These picture are from the local paper, taken down the ski fields which are about a forty minute drive away on Thursday.
    Des
    Hey Des, as an ex Canadian ski instructor, can you put me up while I go skiing?
    I don't eat or drink TOO much[yer right]

15. Thanks Mark Keever thanked for this post
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast