Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: box boats

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default box boats

Well, you learn something every day, at least i do, have been watching a vid on youtube, and learned that some box boats, (don't know if all do) carry bulk cargo in the lower hold, this particular one carried grain, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: box boats

Keith
    When CAST line first started out they used bulk carriers with some holds fitted for container carriage plus fittings to carry empty containers on deck. The thinking being that they could utilise the grain/ore trade between Canada and Europe along with the fledgling container trade to maximize vessel use and profit. It was not particularly successful and when C.P. brought them out they reverted to pure container ships.
    The only container ships I can think of that would carry bulk cargo in lower holds are specially designed cargo ships. The weight of containers in the upper decks could cause stability problems.
    I have carried some bulk cargo such as grain and sugar in containers on container ships.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was in a small container ship run by British Rail, The Container Enterprise, The containers we carried where literally box containers, I am almost certain although doing a little research at the moment we never had containers below deck, I could be getting mixed up with another ship similar i was in but as the pic shows we would load them straight of freight coach and wagon trains onto the ship. Terry
    Attached Images Attached Images
    {terry scouse}

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I am not disputing what you say guys, they were not around in my time at sea, i don't seem to be able to download the youtube clip, however, if you type in *capetoen to rotterdam by cargo ship*, it will come up, its by a guy who has been cycling round the Cape. the part i refer to is the unloading in Rotterdam on that clip, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3 Terry they were the original 8 x 8 x 8 containers used by British Rail since the 1930's specifically designed for intermodel transport since the lmid 1930's, but as usual the USA got credit for introducing containerisation in the 1950's. BR were the first to realise that the 8H x 8W was suitable for road carriage, rail wagon width and would pass under all network bridges, alas their foresight has been overlooked

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

John ref 2, having looked at the clip again, maybe she is not a full spec box boat ?, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    I am not disputing what you say guys, they were not around in my time at sea, i don't seem to be able to download the youtube clip, however, if you type in *capetoen to rotterdam by cargo ship*, it will come up, its by a guy who has been cycling round the Cape. the part i refer to is the unloading in Rotterdam on that clip, kt
    Is this perhaps it Keith ?
    Cheers

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q...6FORM%3DHDRSC3
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

9. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Denis O'Shea, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thats the one Doc, don't know what others think, i was just surprised she had bulk cargo below, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Looks like she may have been designed for a specific trade route, much like the Palm vssls of fore, where-in the deep tank could be used for general cargo or molasses, same thing here vssl designed with longitudinal bulkhead so that lower hold can be used for containers or bulk

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Very smart looking job, built like the proverbial brick outhouse. Heavy duty hatch covers and cranes. Used to see them regularly in Antwerp, loading and discharging general cargo, never realised they could also carry bulk. Trade routes obviously taking in ports that don't warrant calls by the big container companies.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast