Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: The British Trampship

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The British Trampship

Be careful John if the Spanish ambassador reads this post the way I see it, it wont be long before the Spanish Govt will be asking her Maj for all that loot back, as per the BLM, she wont be well pleased.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

But as to early charters, there were some of the slave ships were on such.

But when times got hard, shortage of food or water the slaves were dumped over the wall.
    Then on return the ships master would claim from the insurance company for loss of cargo at sea

Wonder if the anti statues know that?
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

3. Likes Paul Johnson, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#12 Well they do now!

#7 Each to his own Rodney, started my life on deep sea trawlers, then Liner companies, then tramps, and in between coasting, Never did like the bus routes with their predictability, but whilst serving with them got a couple of charters away from the WCSA, one to NZ in '56, then Suez in '56 another to SA in '57 which made me realise why I came to sea, to see the world other than just the WCSA even with all its delights, including Dolores. Tramping tests your fortitude as well as your navigation skills, as you do not have a chart for everywhere, even in your world portfolio. It also gives you the opportunity to see parts of the world never reached on a bus run, I saw over 45 countries in my tramping days and another 45 in my post on-board career. During my time at sea I sailed with men who had spent 40+ years at sea and never transited the Suez and Panama Canals, what engineering marvels they missed. My tramping days I look back on with warm as well as shivering memories, both for the places I went and some of the delightful as well as unsavoury people and nations encountered.
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 23rd June 2020 at 08:14 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Agree with all of that Ivan, i only served a dog watch of 7 years, but as a deck boy was on liner, and once as an AB, the rest was tramping. I loved the not knowing where you were bound, and even then not certain thats where you would end up, and of course the decent amount of shore leave, sometimes too much shore leave, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The same applies to here in Australia Ivan , I’ve been to parts that the normal Australian doesn’t even know exists. Up to small islands off the northern terrorities and places on the mainland that are just a clearing in the bush In The middle of a minefield from the last war , and never been cleared correctly to be passed clear , but enough room to get a helicopter down for refuelling to get out to rigs or ships in the Timor sea. Life at sea was and never will be a 9 to 5 job for some.If one doesn’t like it then should not sign up for it. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 23rd June 2020 at 10:42 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Rodney,
    Met up with a BP tanker in Bluff NZ, having a chat with the Chief Cook he told me that for a number of years he had only sailed on home water articles as he had two young sons; by this time they were into boxing, as was he, and he liked to be around for their training and bouts. He was persuaded to take this tanker to scrap by the Pool, a 6-7 week trip max. He told me their next port of call was Japan, and that they had been away for EIGHT months; everytime they thought they were off to the scrapyard they were tramped to another port. The sense of mutiny amongst the crew was tangible!
    Cheers, Paul.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#16, Paul that was a short trip, I joined one of Ropners for a 3 month trip and got home 22 months later, but it was a good ship, good Master, good crew, good feeder, only one bad apple and he made the mistake of picking a fight with some Japanese fishermen, who carved him up, he needed 200+ stitches, which I saw every one go in as I had to attend the hospital as OOW on duty at the time. He went home DBS and the deck crowd enjoyed shorthand money for about 15 months...…….happy days

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Ivan Cloherty View Post
    #16, Paul that was a short trip, I joined one of Ropners for a 3 month trip and got home 22 months later, but it was a good ship, good Master, good crew, good feeder, only one bad apple and he made the mistake of picking a fight with some Japanese fishermen, who carved him up, he needed 200+ stitches, which I saw every one go in as I had to attend the hospital as OOW on duty at the time. He went home DBS and the deck crowd enjoyed shorthand money for about 15 months...…….happy days
    Ivan, I've spent longer on the dance floor, And at least it kept you of the street corners, You are a bloody hooligan,
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Paul, I done 12 months in the Eucadia held against my will, Paid of her and done 12 months in the Linguist Hungry Harrisons by choice, Mind you unlike Ivan i did get 30 odd days leave in between trips and 12 months cruising the Caribbean / West Indies / Mexican Gulf and South America as for the Eucadia she was an ex Ropners the Linkmoor got ashore 3 times Bombay, Karachi, Beira, Indo Pakistan war 71 oh we had a lovely view of Aden 4 months on the hook bum boat alright Terry.
    {terry scouse}

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan,
    Of course there would have been the bonus of getting your tax back, happy days indeed.
    Cheers, Paul.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast