Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Manning

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Manning

#10 : ALL ships had an annual survey and an extra stringent survey (Quadranial Survey [Special Survey]) every four years regardless whether they carried passengers or not. The third quadrennial survey could be extended for a year, the fifth quadrennial survey had to be carried out on the due date and no extensions granted. The 5th QS was very extensive and expensive so owners usually got rid of vessels when 16/17 years old or directly after the 4th QS when prospective purchasers would pay a good price when vessel had a new 'passed survey' in hand. I'm talking about when we oldies were at sea 40's to 70's, things may be different now that annual surveys are allowed afloat and vessel doesn't have to drydock as in times of yore, but believe they still have to do the quaderennial survey in drydock.

I did a quadrennial survey on a 33 year old ship (built 1941) in Mazagon drydocks in Bombay in the early 1970's, She was Swedish built, all plates hull and deck had to be subject to ultra soundings, had to renew a few plates along the garboard strakes, otherwise sound as a bell.

Sorry may have gone off course, but it did stem from passengers.
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 3rd June 2020 at 02:07 PM. Reason: old age again!

2. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not sure what the current regulations are regarding cruise ships being checked out.
    But from what I have seen it would appear to be about every two years.
    Life rafts are changed on a six monthly basis with half of the total changed at a time.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

4. Likes Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What Ivan is talking about John is not the likes of the LSA cert. but the actual ship construction cert. there are numerous cert. a ship has to have and not least of all is the de-rat cert. which only lasts 6 months. So would imagine the port health will be examining more closely in the near future after the panic of recent times. You name it and has a cert. all ropes wires shackles blocks all have cert. The ER.today is under constant continuous survey. Which used to be done by ships crew but today it must if it is being done by shore labour, as the crew manning would be not sufficient in the first place , due to the demanning of ships, when crew sizes were decimated that was the promise that came out , even for berthing the ship that extra hands would be put on prior to berthing , some may have seen this done I never have. Once it is done once it is the accepted as the norm. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th June 2020 at 07:03 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

J.S
    Regards #4, your lifeboats would have fallen under the SOLAS convention which was in force at the time. If the lifeboat condition was such that they had been condemned then I would have thought that at least a condition of class would have been put on the ship, which would have required the lifeboats to be repaired within a certain time frame or even could have resulted in class being suspended.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/SOLAS_Convention

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Maybe it was John , I was the mate and not the master, he did not confide in me. I walked off the ship in japan and had to threaten to get the British consul involved as to the seaworthiness of the vessel . The boat Daviits had the two red bands on so assume they were condemned as well. We had a writ placed on the mast in Singapore but must have been outside port limits as we just sailed after taking fresh water and bunkers, and landing the Chief Engineer who later died . On Arriving Hong Kong much later the Articles had to be changed and. I was called across to Hong Kong from Kowloon. The shipping master asked me what I was doing there, and advised me not to resign on a crew agreement , I said fair enough if you pay my fare home which of course he couldn’t do. It would be too long and laborious to explain all the down sides to that particular job. Once bitten twice shy. Unless you have sailed on those type of vessels , it’s better you don’t know. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th June 2020 at 11:43 AM.
    R575129

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2