Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Mutiny on Merchant ships.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Mutiny on Merchant ships.

See I was right, first Den then Cappy cooking, it was just pot luck if you got a good cook, trouble was that they all didn't want to jump.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

2. Likes cappy, happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#38.. Denis am sure your cooking would have been quite acceptable. Shortly before I arrived in Australia in 1991 my first job in strange waters so to speak was one of Swires ships managed by a Fremantle company and was working out of Dampier. The ship was the Pacific Dart for those who worked for Swires at any time . On arrival at vessel as master my first job was to check the crew list, No cook, like most on here believed a cook was essential to any ship, dont you believe it. For some time before my arrival an agreement had been reached between the Unions and the shipowner that the carriage of a cook was only necessary if the complement of the ship exceeded 13. The Deck crew took it in turns to do the cooking, and for any budding Chef who liked cooking he was promoted to Cook for the term of his employment of 6 weeks on the vessel. when people refer to the law as to the carriage of a cook , this will vary to circumstances of the occassion it would of at one time be essential to a ship on Foreign Going Articles sailing from a UK port as a shipping master would have been in attendance. Today the UK has little or no say on foreign registrys , they may think they have, but once out of their safe haven the world is still a big place. If you were to delay a vessel in a foreign port for the lack of a cook , there would be two reliefs , on the first available flight , and the other one would be yours. JS

PS the same rules would of applied if short of any crew member to make up the manning scale who couldnt be replaced at the snap of a finger. The others got short hand money. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 7th March 2021 at 03:35 AM.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

HI John
    Book a room Cappy and Den are flying over.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

5. Likes j.sabourn, cappy, Ivan Cloherty liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Will have to have a word with the owner about Cappys spud peeler and the excess baggage limit. Den will only have to bring his tin opener. Then will have to find a ship with 14 on board. Not too many around these days. Cheers JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #37... catch any fish Cappy, ? or did the big one get away again. Someone was getting worried by your absence ,no doubt he will be welcoming you back with open arms. Don’t forget to keep your face Mask on unless they are non obligatory by now. How is Pat faring with all the weird circumstances going on . Cheers JS.
    yes john i think i was being missed by lewis ...lol...pat is doing fine ...paddles along no prob ...walking the dog round the village ...one cool lady ......keeps my lid on anyway ....guess you are into your new routine in your new village now ...do you have a lockdown or just masks .....as for the big fish ...had a takeaway from colemans one big haddock ....remember them when they had a hut on the beach ......now a massive emporium....shields sea front and beach packed with walkers ....good clean air ......felt good ....saw the 5pm ferry just come out the piers off to amsterdam ........a good sight to see .....regards to gwen keep safe cappy

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Something a bit Rum about this posting.

Fact is Cappy went looking for Mary again, still needs here wooden leg at times when his gives way.

Rum ,well Rum essence with Den when it came to making his so called Tab Nabs. Did hear some were used as weights on fishing lines by Cappy when he goes north for the fish.

John, you mentioned Swires, did you ever see a guy there by the name of Cambell' Bluey' Borland.
    He worked for them for a number of years after returning to Oz after being with UCL for a number of years.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Likes cappy liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That period John , Swire had their own supt. Down from Hong Kong his name may come back. He was a bit peed off as was only allowed 3 months in the country at a time. He asked me how I got to stay . I said grandly because I am a citizen. All the rigs and ships that worked on the coast in the 90s , any foreign nationals and that included everyone including masters mates crews offshore installation managers the lot . Had to leave and think it was a month before they were allowed back in again. That’s why I was on Russian, Norwegian, Dutch, Javanese , American, and even eskimos if they had sea going canoes would of had to comply. Any offshore installation that had propellers or thrusters on its legs had to have Australian marine engineers on board. That’s why the oil company’s took the props off before entering Australian waters. They had to also have an Australian marine deck crew on any shift and depending on length of tow time and distance wise depended the number of seamen. They didn’t move otherwise. The U.S . Tonnage I was on still had their own laws like the UK used to have by having a percentage of their own nationals on board this was got round by usually re- signing the master and chief engineer on as 2 mate and 3 engineer, With the Russians we came to the agreement that the lot could stay , but officially they had no say on the running of the ship . Unofficially is another story. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 8th March 2021 at 07:38 AM.
    R575129

11. Thanks happy daze john in oz thanked for this post
    Likes Ivan Cloherty, cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5