Thread: Reference material

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Reference material

I recently discovered from a friend who lives in Canada, that when the U.K. began to pretend that it never had a maritime history during the 1980’s, the Memorial University in St. John’s, Newfoundland scooped up thousands of Log Books, Articles of Agreement etc and established a British shipping marine archive. However, the fly in the ointment is that there is a Canadian “Fifty year rule” which applies regarding names of anyone other than the applicant. But if you want any log books or Ship's Articles from earlier than 50 years before date of application, they may well have it. I am awaiting the end of lockdown to see if they have my first trip record as I've forgotten most of the names of those on board.
    The website is at: https://www.mun.ca/

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reference material

Yes that is a good site and where myself and a few others have managed to get our Crew Lists . It is amazing the info that they have , i have found a few that i remember and one other that is a Member that was also on a Ship that i was on.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Reference material

As I recall, the U.K. HAD a 70 year rule on " sensitive " material ? That means a lot of World War Two documents might be available now ? I've found even the Canadian National Archives is very responsive about inquires within their holdings... This appears to be another valuable resource from the " Great White North ".

4. Likes j.sabourn, Denis O'Shea liked this post