Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Costigan - Did you know?

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Costigan - Did you know?

When I was employed through them , I stated what I wanted as. Salary and the maximum I would be outof the uk. I. Stuck by my request and not put off by lower wages. She complained bitterly that I was costing her a fortune in
    Long distant. Telephone. Calls abroad. So I asked her how much she got for supplying people for different jobs. She must have felt talkative that day as she admitted she was paid by the person who took her protege the equilivant of 3 months of his/hers salary. E.G. if you took a job through her at 400 pounds a month , then she as the middle man/woman received 1200 pounds . The Hong Kong system was similar but there the poor crew member had to pay that himself , so the first 3 months he was working for the privilege of being employed.. Chinese crews that I sailed with were there for the long haul of 2 years hopefully. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th May 2020 at 04:52 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You stuttering JS LOL Repeat of your previous post mate! Posts #8 and #11
    Stay off the Rum Chum ! LOL Kidding!
    Cheers
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 25th May 2020 at 04:47 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

3. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

This IPad has just about had it Vernon it can’t even spell either. Tried eliminating the double entry and thought I had succeeded , but obviously not. Thanks for doing what I can’t. JS

5. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Done like a Dinner Mate
    Cheers

R697530

7. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#1. Ref to the North Shields area I belong Whitley Bay, over a stretched period of 1964 to 1991 I knew and sailed with 3 chief engineers from North Shields Tynemouth and Whitley Bay , Candiotos , Irving, and the third one is on the tip of my tongue. If you still had family living in the area during that period they would probably know , I also had two cousins marine engineers ,from same area, one the same name as me, and one called Kempster. May or may not ring some bells. cheers jS.
    PS my discharge book was also issued in North Shields but at a much later date June 1953. The shipping office went into limbo not too long after. well before the jungle disappeared into the mists of time. Regards JS

PS on this, may sound a bit strange but what year did your father die , and do you know how and where. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th May 2020 at 08:15 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by David Costigan View Post
    Thanks again - I'm sure he was still working in some shape or form after 72 but not sure where. Silverline rings a bell? As a family we were in Amsterdam in 62 when he was working for Esso during construction of Esso Lincoln & after that my mother sailed several times to Persian Gulf etc.
    That is why thee are no records f his available as he was still at Sea after 72 pity that they stopped keeping Record after that.
    I did hear though that some time later dont know when exactly the Records were resumed ?? But not sure on that
    Cheers
    But some Original Records are still kept in Southampton Archives but its a long shot .

R697530

10. Thanks David Costigan thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#15.. I tried to send a fuller account of the PS on #15 but disappeared. So this is a shortened version . Joined one of miss silvers palaces of luxury in July 1970. Crew wise was the League of Nations. The chief engineer who I thought was from Sunderland was a sick man and was landed in Singapore where he later died of Cancer. Think he would have been too young to be your father . The ship was manned by characters who would do an Agatha Christie drama a good critical revue. As no one talked of their past. I was. 33 at the time but would have guessed the Chiefs age as in his 50s. JS.

12. Thanks David Costigan, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think that must have been them - as I said, i dont think he had a good word to say about them!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Vernon View Post
    That is why thee are no records f his available as he was still at Sea after 72 pity that they stopped keeping Record after that.
    I did hear though that some time later dont know when exactly the Records were resumed ?? But not sure on that
    Cheers
    But some Original Records are still kept in Southampton Archives but its a long shot .
    Thanks doc that must be why details are hard to come by - but no problem as you've given me plenty to work on with my grandfather's info!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #1. Ref to the North Shields area I belong Whitley Bay, over a stretched period of 1964 to 1991 I knew and sailed with 3 chief engineers from North Shields Tynemouth and Whitley Bay , Candiotos , Irving, and the third one is on the tip of my tongue. If you still had family living in the area during that period they would probably know , I also had two cousins marine engineers ,from same area, one the same name as me, and one called Kempster. May or may not ring some bells. cheers jS.
    PS my discharge book was also issued in North Shields but at a much later date June 1953. The shipping office went into limbo not too long after. well before the jungle disappeared into the mists of time. Regards JS

PS on this, may sound a bit strange but what year did your father die , and do you know how and where. JS
    I'm Glasgow based & my father was based here too. His mother died in 83 in Tynemouth & he died in 2003 in Glasgow of natural causes. I visited area many times & Spanish City too! Regretfully the names you mention mean nothing to me but I really appreciate the reply thanks.

- - - Updated - - -

Dont know of hand where he sailed to with Silver Marine - sounds a good cast for your next book!

14. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If he was on foreign flagged vessels and going through the books of Miss Silver, he won’t have any records, as they weren’t federated ships.. I very much doubt if there are any records of me for 5 years or so, who is going to keep them ? I worked for Indian owners, Hong Kong owners, US owners, Malaysian owners. They may have some records but I doubt it. Regards JS.

PS I would say the only way would be if he has kept his own discharge. Book upto date himself as a record. One didn’t even need a discharge book on a foreign vessel . In fact at one time if you had a discharge in your book of a foreign vessel , you would be lucky to get back on the federation. However that is all changed now as most ships are under flags of convenience.. cheers JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 25th May 2020 at 02:47 PM.

16. Thanks David Costigan, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi David, I sailed with your Dad on the Esso Lincoln, but for the life of me, I can't picture his mug! (unless he was that very jovial Glaswegian?)
    I joined the Esso Lincoln in January 1965 at Tilbury, as Junior Engineer, and left her, in Antwerp, in November of that year as 4th.
    I was on her when she went aground at Avocet Rock and throughout the drydock in Naples.
    I have copies of some of the crew lists, with your Dad's name, address and even your Mother's name! Also Lloyds casualty reports. Unfortunately the Maritime Museum ditched 9 years worth of merchant navy records, out of every 10 years, long ago.
    I think your Dad was on leave at the time of the incident and rejoined in drydock in Naples on 12th. April.
    For what it's worth, I'm a North Shields bloke by the way!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast