Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: mutiny

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default mutiny

remember as deck boy sat in mess room a ab said to me you have signed on this ship articalels for18 months not only that if the crew mutiny and storm the bridge the captain can shoot you in law said captain has a gun thought about that i kwow it wass us and them thear was always a barrier but never found it that bad went on board sweedish ships crew and officers same mess room all together our lot kept away from us some wear ok others nasty sods thought they wear above us did not know that abs have brains alsomost of them wear okbut thear was always that division we whear all on the ship to do a jobat the end of the day

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: mutiny

I sailed with a few , just a few , officers who were on board just to wear a uniform and strutt , in the Engineering department most did not last long . with the "Old Fashioned "! skippers , they did not last long on deck either
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

That is a 2 way street also re. barriers. I can remember prior to the seamans strike of 67, I was mate on the Warkworth. We had changed Articles and were going in Ballast to Montreal. There were three of the deck crew missing ( this was in Hull), one of the ABs told me they were in the pub over the way, so I went over to get trhem, they must have seen me coming as were not in the pub. Went round to the back yard and they were trying to hide under an upturned boat. As others had been doing their job for them, told them they had 5 minutes to get back on board or would see they were paid off and replacements sent for. They came back, but tried to cause problems all trip. I am sure to this day they were planted by the union to cause disruption. We were on a 48 hour running agreement and on return to uk, i asked everyone back. They were shocked as expected to get the sack and have their expenses paid home. They went away to think about it, came back and said they had better pay off. They then came back and asked if they could borrow the money for their train fare, I told them to see their union.John S

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have certainly seen a few difficult greasers too , a Polish one on Union Castle comes to mind instantly , The crews on Sealink were mostly local men who liked the local job , so trouble was very rare . King Line great blokes when sober , in fact the rare trouble with Sealink guys was alcoholism , Gulf Oil had a lot of Stornwegians , who I rate as some of the best seamen in the World , a lot of ex fishermen
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

like william i always thought the old man had a gun but speaking to many since found none carried that .....did js or brian or j arton or any other old man carry a gun.....an interesting point for the site.......but i do remember on my 1st two trips being very aware of the power which surrounded the old man.....and keeping out the way

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by robpage View Post
    I sailed with a few , just a few , officers who were on board just to wear a uniform and strutt , in the Engineering department most did not last long . with the "Old Fashioned "! skippers , they did not last long on deck either
    And I do recall a few engineers with UCL who were there for the women and the beer, engineering came second thogh I must admit Abercrombie did run a tight engine room.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#5... Cappy the only British ship that carried an official firearm that I was on was In John I Jacobs, which was an automatic shot gun. This was only after an attempted murder of the master ( already a post on ) and the murder of the electrician and the wounding of another crew member, by a crew member who had an unofficial firearm on board. Someone else put a post up on this and the vessel was the Rosewood, under the heading of my worse Xmas at sea. The Sunprincess a Liberian Registered cargo/Passenger vessel I was also on had 2 official hand guns on board. The master of a Bermudan registered ship I was on the master carried his own personal handgun which he bought in the States. The carriage of firearms on British ships was rare, there is no Law against as long as the regulations are adhered to, which literally means the master says yea or nay. And the weapons are declared on arriving in port. It used to be a good buy in Russia for gun enthusiats, shotguns were very cheap and have seen bought by crew members for taking home, but have been put under seal and declared on arrival, wherever, these have been by people having a shotgun licence. John S.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

When I was on the Oregis we arrived Poti,Black Sea I was in the pantry and the chf/stwd came running in with a pistol in each hand pointed them directly at me pulled the triggers at the same time shouting "Bang Bang".I said you soft stupid B/std there could've been one up the spout.Because I called him a B/std he wanted to take me up to the old man,I told him I would willingly go up and see the captain and tell him why I called him a B/std.Anyway the reason he had the guns was to put them in the Bond until we left,that was my experience of guns on board and from that I always thought all ships captains had access to guns.That was Houlders so I wonder did all Houlder boats carry guns.
    Regards.
    Jim.B.
    CLARITATE DEXTRA

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I was on the AMITY, Everards, 1952/3. 17 years old, OS
    An Irish AB, a big fat slob, always pi55ed always followed me around, trying to feel my 4r5e.
    I woke up one time, he was trying to get into my bunk. an evil ba5tard. I told tHe Mate and Captain. So they knew what was going on.
    One day in Jersey we were paintinG on the Monkey Island, just above the Captains cabin. I was bending down , when he felt my 4r5e again, I swung around with the paint pot and hit him on the head covering him with white paint.
    I then jumped off the Monkey Island, just by the Captains window. I then legged it down the Flying Bridge followed by the mad Paddy, behind him was the Captain, I ran around the funnel followed by Paddy and then I heard a shot and a bang as a bullet hit the funnel, Paddy stopped. and the Captain had him on the deck, holding his gun. The Mate went on the jetty and phoned the Police. they came down, and took Padedy away, I made a Statement to the Police and that was that, I never heard a thing after that. So do not know what happened to him.
    So it was good he had a gun. I used to take his daughter ashore during school holidays, when we were on the Jersey run, The Captain would give me a couple of pounds, Entertain my daughter, but lay one finger on her and I will tear your plums off and shove them down your throat. Ashore she was all over me, and could not understand why I kept pulling away. I was too scared to hold her hand.
    Hard man that Captain.
    Happy dayus.
    Brian.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

###i was to scared to hold her hand .......your a better man than i am gunga kong

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast