Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

Thread: Ships Accommodation - your experiences

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Ships Accommodation - your experiences

Worst accommodation i had was the old St Merriel, my 3 berth cabin was right aft next to the steering gear and of course the prop when light ship. Somehow you just got used to it, bit like the ships engines, sleep like a log, but instantly awake if the engines stopped, kt
    R689823

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Did a spell with ucl on the Capetown as a waiter in a six berth containing mostly, those with other persuasions. On occasion, the gloryhole steward who called the early risers, would shake one and two would fall out. I recall always sleeping back to the bulkhead.
    Gilly.
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The best for me was the Beaver Oak, single berth and a shower & Toilet between 2 cabins.
    they even supplied "Astral soap" not the buttermilk soap you used to get on most ships.
    All of us crew smelt luverly.
    Graham R774640

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

there must have been a buttermilk soap factory somewhere dedicated to British shipping.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#14... may have been a hospital where they got all the counterpanes from . Probably a job lot. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Best accommodation was on Danish built panamax bulkers. Stood by one in Copenhagen and watched them outfit the accommodation. One day completely empty deck with just services showing, next day virtually all cabins built. Bathroom base came complete with toilet and shower, bulkheads slotted into place with cabinet and basin in place and door already hung, cabin bulkheads made of insulated and decorated panels that slotted together and were kept in place by special fittings, deckheads similar. Next. Cabin floor covering carpets followed by furniture, bunk, wardrobe, coffee table and daybed. Senior officers cabins had day room and separate bed room. No creams and groans from any fixtures and fittings when in heavy weather unlike the Japanese built ships I sailed on where all the cabin furniture was built of cheap laminated stuff and creamed and groaned in a seaway with drawers sliding open.
    Rgds
    J.A.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Graham
    I was cadet on the Beaveroak when she was lengthened and converted to a fully cellular container ship and also did a number of trips as 3rd mate on her. Of all the white Beaver's she was the one everyone wanted to sail on with her accommodation, deck gear and automated engine room. I did 7 months in the Beaverfir as cadet, great trip. The Beaverpine was favourite for Liverpool lads as she did the Liverpool to Canada trips, sailed on her around the Carribbean as 3rd mate on a Dutch charter. All the white Beaver's were happy party ships, pity it all ended with containerisation.
    The camel laird built container ships had pretty decent accommodation but vibrated so much it was like living in a cement mixer when at sea.
    Rgds
    J.A.

9. Thanks Doc Vernon, Graham Payne thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Keith.
    Apart from a few trips on the "big" boats out from
    Southhampton I sailed on tankers/cargo boats out
    from Swansea and Port Talbot and always from my
    days as Pantry Boy,I was lucky to have single cabins.
    Dave Williams

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi JS,
    The best accommodation I had was on the Remuera, NZS boat, although by this time, '73, with an ugly funnel; pale blue with P&O script. All cabins were spacious; good bunk, day bed, chest of drawers and desk, as well as an en suite shower room with toilet and basin. The worst was on the Brazil Star, four in a cramped cabin, and wooden decks in the accommodation. Blue Star did not exactly push the boat out when it came to crew facilities, I remember the Fremantle Star had metal bunks !!!
    Cheers, Paul.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Forgive me if you hear groans of joy, my wife just brought me the Knuckle bone from a leg of lamb straight out of the oven. OOOOOHHHHH!!
    My mate and I were sent down to join the Queen Mary:No way Hosai, the accommodation was atrocious .
    As for those rubber or foam mattresses; PB started putting them on their ships in the 50s, up the Gulf they made your back sweat, never liked them.
    My wife was asking me yesterday who washed the sheets on the ship; as far as I can recollect the chief steward issued clean ones every week and exchanged them in the next port, must have been millions of sheets around the wold.
    Des

13. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast