Thread: STS Achatina mar - July 1961

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default STS Achatina mar - July 1961

Dad was on ship..
    Love to know more about journey etc

Stanlow Dublin Puerto la Cruz, curacao, Punta Cardon, manaus, Buenos Aires, Trinidad amongst ports ship visited

Would like to know anything that dad would have experienced...

Thank you

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: STS Achatina mar - July 1961

These notes were copied from ....STS Achatina , HOLDERLINE . COM,

08/20/2010 - 16:09
    John Evans
    I joined the Achatina in Ellesmere Port in July 1961 and was a working passenger, i was an extra 2nd, cook and baker until we arrived at Curacao in Agust 1961 where i was discharged in order to work on the STS Haustrum when it arrived from Capetown, I understood that the 2nd Cook was taken off there injured and i took his place I spent a pleasent 2 weeks in the Seamans Mission awaiting its arrival.
    08/20/2010 - 16:09
    John Evans
    I joined the Achatina in Ellesmere Port in July 1961 and was a working passenger, i was an extra 2nd, cook and baker until we arrived at Curacao in Agust 1961 where i was discharged in order to work on the STS Haustrum when it arrived from Capetown, I understood that the 2nd Cook was taken off there injured and i took his place I spent a pleasent 2 weeks in the Seamans Mission awaiting its arrival.
    04/14/2010 - 21:48
    Roy Halsall
    Achatina was my first ship in the Merch. after leaving the Royal Navy. I joined her whilst she was in dry dock in Malta. Stinking hot, as the AC was not working! The AC was always pitiful, and we often took our day beds out onto the poop and slept under the stars! Hard ship, I started off in her as motorman ( even though I was and am a time served marine fitter!) Hot as hell down below! I came out of the engine room as trainee pumps! Went back to her ( after Rapana) as Pumpman , much better job, own boss, responsible , and earned a loads of money. Fond memories of her.. I too did the Klaipeda run, through the beautiful Kiel canal. My first trip on her was never bettered in 10 years in the Merch. Chile, Peru, Ecuador , Venezuela- through the Panama Canal to Curacao . I distictly remember every member of the catering department got logged for being adrift in Valparaiso! I also remember me and a couple of other lads being hauled in front of the old man whilst in Malta. We had come out of dry docks, I think we were awaiting orders, and we had been ashore , come back on a water taxi, and subsequently wrecked it! Boy were we lucky to escape punishment. Cannot remember the old man's name. Thank God he was tolerant and understanding . Great memories! Hard Ships, and the best crews! Oh to be back there now! Any old Achatina shipmates -or "A" Boat boys get in touch./ Roy.

../……………………….

CHEERS , HOPE IT HELPS.
    Brian
    Attached Images Attached Images

3. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: STS Achatina mar - July 1961

Brian that is brilliant thank you so much
    Bob
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 14th May 2020 at 06:45 PM.