Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Seafarer Research into Trust and Accidents

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Seafarer Research into Trust and Accidents

Hello,

I am doing research looking into trust amongst seafarers and other industry workers with regards to occupational health and safety accidents and incidents, and whether there is any widespread variance across contract types. I would be most appreciative if you could support me in undertaking this survey that should take between 10 and 15 minutes.

https://solent.onlinesurveys.ac.uk/s...n-distribution

If you have any queries or doubts, please contact me on richard.neale@solent.ac.uk

My thanks to all who participate.

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Seafarer Research into Trust and Accidents

Richard I started to fill your questionnaire in , got so far , and realised that most of the questions were un- answerable. Most on this site worked outside the parameters you are talking about. Maybe some of the younger members may be able to give you better replies . When most of us went to sea in our earlier years there was no such things as safety officers. Ships were run from ships by people who hopefully knew their job, and if they didn’t they were not employed. Ships are not run from offices and if I was still at sea I would still adhere to that belef. If I filled in that form completely to your questions they would mean nothing to me and even less to you. I know you are probably honest in your aims to complete whatever task has been set you , but to old seafarers it means very little.. As said I hope you succeed in what you seek from a younger generation. Best regards JWS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th May 2020 at 10:12 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Richard, I agree with John. I got so far and gave up due to the questioning not being all relative to marine operations, more like questions that would be asked in a shore side industrial operation.
    I suspect you will find this site is predominantly populated by retired seafarers.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#3.. That type of questioning I first came across at 11 years of age for the grading exam, it was called tick a box or similar. Not wishing to go to a grammar school for personal reasons , I just ticked any box without even looking at the question and walked away. I suppose today they have some means of transferring to a computer to give some sort of result , which in my case would be total irrelevant as would not mean anything to me, only to answer with a reply hopefully for the questioner who would appreciate . On the question of trust and trusting a safety officer is really unanswerable , trust comes through knowing a persons capabilitys and I would certainly not trust anyone without proof of their capabilities , the questions are riddled with possible faults to make any assumptions from. May mean something to others but nothing to me. We live in a different world . Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th May 2020 at 11:37 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I AGREE WITH WHAT HAS BEEN SAID,
    Could not complete the questions.

Never sailed with a Safety Officer,,
    Had an Accident? Just had to be more careful next time.
    in 48 years had broken legs, arm, thumb, five broken ribs. Some were my fault some other seamen`s carelessness.
    Just get on with light duties until fit again. Just part of the job.
    If your mate was killed or died, sew him up in canvas with weights and slide him over the side after a short Burial at Sea Service.
    We were tougher in those days. I went to sea 70 years ago. that is why I am still here at 85.
    Cheers
    Brian
    Last edited by Captain Kong; 10th May 2020 at 11:41 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

No bearing on seafaring as we knew it

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello,

Thank-you for your responses. I guess I could have worded some questions better, the safety officer who I have mentioned in a few questions isn't a dedicated role, its just a semi-informal position given to someone who already has watchkeeping duties, i.e. 3rd officer is generally the safety officers, 2nd is the chart corrections officer etc. Its just an additional role given out with varying responsibilities.

I guess if I am looking at trust amongst seafarers, interviews might be a more appropriate medium. I will look into it. Many thanks

9. Thanks Captain Kong, j.sabourn, William Turley thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#7 Trust, in our days 40's, 50's. 60's and possibly 70's the role of safety officer hadn't been invented. Most of us went to sea as a vocation and not just a job, it was going to be our life. Upon joining your ship, you mentally assessed your shipmates and not many were found wanting, maybe you liked them, maybe you didn't, could have been because of their annoying habits or personal hygiene, but it didn't stop them doing their job, if their hygiene was particularily extreme they soon got washed down with a hose, that's the way it was in our day. Everyone on board from Master to cabin boy was important and knew what their role was, and if couldn't do it properly were taught how to do it properly. When I see people working on ships now, I wonder how on earth they get anything done, by the time they've got dressed in their safety boots, boiler suits, eye protectors, harnesses, earmuffs, gloves, helmet etc and read the assessment card, we would have had the job done. We climbed masts, swung onto mast tables, shinned up a top mast, to change a navigation bulb, or run a messenger through a block, it was part of our life, we accepted it, loved the challenge and thought nothing of it, it was normal.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Safety Officer sounds to me to be a very convenient catchall or a person to blame if something goes wrong. In my day, the 3rd Mate looked after the Flags and Lifeboats as well as watch keeping, whilst the Second Mate was the Chart Corrector / Navigator , looked after the Gyro Compass and was Cargo planner with the Chief Officer as well as watch keeping and the Chief Officer kept an eye on the ships stability and upkeep, deck crew employment and overtime, plus of course watch keeping and liaison with the Master and junior officers. All on board looked after their own safety as well as others safety as we were a brotherhood, all literally " In The Same Boat ".
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 10th May 2020 at 01:54 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Safety is a business in its own right. Every company was under new legislation made to bring out a Safety Manual on which there was a copy on every ship. Certain members had to sign that they had read.A safety officer was appointed usually in the office ashore. Usually he was not a seafarer so what he knew about shipborne safety was any ones guess. But the law was being observed that was the name of the game. If the ship had been delayed whilst members read the numerous pages of the safety manual, maybe the legislation would have been changed again. It was a farce to cover peoples back. If you followed the safety manual to the letter, in a lot of cases the ship would never leave port. The original safety manuals told you how to wear your protective gear if it was supplied and other information on telling their grandma how to suck eggs. JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 10th May 2020 at 02:52 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast