Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: haircuts

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default haircuts

Well, before lockdown i needed a haircut, now after a couple of weeks i look like a yeti, so its trust the missus with a pair of scissors. which reminded me on long voyages there was always someone who claimed to be a hair dresser, and for a few packets cigs would perform on your hair , Jesus, i have seen some sights on board, some looking like Worzel Gummage, but fortunately the only difference between a good hair cut and a bad haircut is 14 days, kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: haircuts

Keith it all depends on what size basin she uses on your head. Will bring back childhood memories perhaps. Cheers JS
    PS make sure she doesn’t use an egg cup. JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 31st March 2020 at 10:45 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

First trip to sea 1955 down the Med. Parked in Port Said and joined a queue on deck for a haircut.when my turn came I was amazed at the linguistic talents of the barber, an Arab who adjusted his accent to whatever part of the world his customers were from. For me his Scouse accent was flawless, even made me feel a little homesick being a first tripper.
    Gilly
    R635733

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used to carry hair cutting gear, in fact I still have it. I did it for a bit of fun and didn't charge but would share a beer if offered.
    I had a junior who had a very large Afro style haircut and big beard, nice guy but a bit slovenly in appearance.
    When we got orders for New Orleans he asked if I was going ashore, yes of course, I said. I'll come with you he said, not looking like that you are not, so he asked me to cut his hair.
    It took me two days to do it.
    When I started, his hair was tough and wiry and literally had to send him below for jointing scissors to make progress. I had to hack my way in and about half way his hair was grey, it was not actually his hair it was mould, like you might get in a bale of hay that was baled damp. I gave up at that point and told him to get showered up and dry his hair properly.
    Set too again the next day, after about two more showers, and finished off with a beard trim.
    What a transformation, everyone complimented him on the change, he was so chuffed with his whole appearance, from then on was always smart and well presented.
    I have a photo taken in Pat O'Brians when we eventually got ashore, he looked great.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We had one on the Windsor, first class BR.

Great at cutting hair but you had to have a companion with you as he was a bit on the 'friendly' side if you know what I mean.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

6. Thanks Mike Hall thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I went for a haircut just as the three feet distancing came in. A bit awkward, me with a mask on, and the barber holding the hair cutters on a three foot long stick.
    Des

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My husband has promised/threatened to cut my hair ........2020 C MARCH FROM JULIE.jpg
    regards
    Brenda

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

We can all be long haired hippies.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Or in some cases a long hair hippy
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 1st April 2020 at 08:12 PM.

11. Likes vic mcclymont liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Reminds me of when I was a Cadet. We were in Montevideo and the barber came aboard and the Old Man told me my hair was too long, which it was not really and to get it cut. I therefore presented myself for a haircut. It was not all that long at all but nevertheless I had to do as the Old Man said. Well I was scalped, terrible job, looked like a convict bald with the odd little tuft here and there, I remonstrated with the so called barber but he just shook his head and demanded his money which I had to pay. Straight after the haircut I had to have my photograph taken for my BA Passport. That evening I entered the saloon for my dinner and could see the Old Man staring at me and getting a bit red in the face. After dinner I was summoned to his cabin, where he went ballistic, accusing me of taking the p..s and having a haircut unbecoming of an embryo officer, despite my pleas of innocence he would not have any of it. He forthwith stopped my shore leave in BA which was a bugger as I had a lady friend there ( a nursing sister at the British Hospital ) and banned me from the saloon till my hair had grown respectable as he put it.

The Mate however knew what had really happened and intervened on my behalf. The Old Man finally relented on my shore leave but still banned me from the saloon as he could not bear to see me in uniform with my hair the way it was. I was very happy with this as we Cadets were on day work on deck and had to shower and change into uniform for each meal which was a nuisance. My two fellow Cadets were not at all happy as I had all my meals in our day room next door to our cabin in my scruff and they had to wash and get changed all the time. That was one of my best times in BA, my lady friend rather liked my haircut, " manly " as she put it. After a ten day stay in BA, my hair had grown somewhat similar to a hedgehog and the day before sailing the Mate told me that I was allowed back in the saloon. I tried to keep my BA passport with my convict hairstyle but we had to hand them all back in before we left. The only drawer back was that the top of my head got sore from sunburn otherwise it was a happy trip.

The deck crew thought it hilarious and I received a lot of back slapping and some playful p..s taking. I later learnt from the Bosun that the barber did the same cut to everyone and the lads did not mind it at all, preferring it like that and that they thought I was great having it done. I never told them that I was ordered to have it done, I did not want to lose my newly found cred with them. Needless to say by the time we got back to Liverpool I had a decent growth of hair and was able to present myself to the Marine Super in a tidy and respectable state as the old man required.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast