Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: I've been around the world

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I've been around the world

Quote Originally Posted by j.sabourn View Post
    #17 Went up to Faslane a few times but was on the ship itself. When they lost a stingray torpedo about 1979 at the southern end of loch fyne they also lost the world war 11 submarine which was the target. A Commander Littlejohn was the officer in charge of the recovery he was the captain of Britain’s latest nuclear deterrent In The form of a nuclear submarine . I tried following his career after retirement and he finished up as an advisor to America’s submarine service. Unfortuanetlly at that time loch fyne was about the only place in UK for the catching of herring , so there were large complaints from the Scottish fishermen. Cheers JS.
    It's a small world, I can tell you that they found that torpedo and shipped it to Marconi in Portsmouth, when I spotted it it was in a water tank about 10 feet long so it had hit something pretty hard to have compacted it down to that size.

2. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: I've been around the world

As far as I was aware Malcolm it missed the target and veered off and sank in deeper water. The World War Two submarine was floating at about 2 thirds submerged and supported by a flotation buoy at each end as extra support to the ballast in the sub. The last one off the sub after setting all the bits that had to be working on the sub they all came back on board the ship. The wires on the 2 buoys I passed the remark to he who was in charge were too small and would part if any weight was put on them. He then went to great lengths to explain if anything went wrong he would push this button to blow the ballast out he had set uo on the forward consul. An RMAS ship fired the blank torpedo it missed and the wires on the flotation buoys parted , the red button was pushed and nothing happened. The last one off the sub was a little stoker, he went white, and said to me I’m going to get the blame, he was right and the buck was passed down the line like pass the parcel. It was like A sit com play. Was the torpedo in the submarine museum ? That’s where the Hollande was which we found at another time off the Eddystone was sited. JS.

Further we knew where the,torpedo was as had a pinger on and had divers down but she was well Buried in the silt and mud , they had 10 feet probes and still could not reach , we had a Jim suit and a miniature sub down . The pinger went silent after a week and it was left to a salvage team to recover. I often wondered about it as after we left a suspected Russian sub was reported in the estuary leading up to loch Fyne.

Pleased to hear it finaly arrived home the torpedo that is, do you know what happened to the submarine.? Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 1st April 2020 at 01:25 PM.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4