Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Wartime map references/codes

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Wartime map references/codes

Hi,

I have been able to access war diary records that show shipping movements. They make reference to K96 and other similar codes. This would appear to refer to map references. Is there anywhere I can get a list of what areas these might refer to? I know they are all in and around Cuba, Florida and Trinidad.

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Wartime map references/codes

Good question and sure someone will be able to help you Hazel. Ref. to area codes etc. even after the war and in 1962 the old convoy system was still being adhered to in the event of hostility’s arising, and during the Cuban crisis was not very far off happening . A lot of us were sent to various naval depots to do a course which was called the Merchant Navy Defence Course which I am sure many will remember as got paid 5 guineas for doing so, every British Merchant ship at the time carried a sealed book of instructions kept in the masters safe. But in general there would be one simple password transmitted to all British ships anywhere in the world which allowed you to open the sealed documents. These contained all the world divided into zones, you were told to proceed to the zone nearest to you in the hope there being similar ships also , and there form a convoy and proceed as directed . There was complete radio silence throughout. It was expected if and when the convoy was attacked it was most likely by nuclear air bursts. And every ship carried in boxes also sealed , Hand held Geiger counters which one held under a members chin like a buttercup, to see how may rotogens he had received and how long he was going to be serviceable , for a better word. If you didn’t suffer from nightmares it was a quick 5 guineas for a week of crowded information. I say 1962 it may have been 1960 have the piece of paper somewhere with the syllabus on but don’t know where. Regards JWS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 22nd March 2020 at 03:07 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ref. To #2. Found... is form M.N.D 3 Is decided into 10 sessions session 1 and 2 .... Trade protection and N.C.S .
    The other 8 sessions include Convoy communications , close range gunnery, Defence against submarines and mines, principles of de-Gaussing , 3 sessions on A. B.C. Warfare ( atomic, biological, and chemical ) the 9th. Session was Damage control and ship defence plan, and the last session survival at sea. Was 1962 . JWS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You forgot to mention tying fire hoses fitted with spray nozzles facing skywards to the ships rails in case of atomic fallout. However with the then current regulations to meet LSA requirements it was only compulsory to carry one spray nozzle on deck and two in the engineroom, so we were sailing on a wing and a prayer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Is it possible for you to post a copy ( jpg / pdf ? ) of a page showing exactly how that code is being used or referenced to ? Seeing the " whole " picture might lead us to an answer for you. THANK-YOU !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

There was all different suggestions but only remember the important ones Ivan, likes of the 5 guineas.. also in the advent of war the country would be policed by the Civil Defence. Expected first strike on the country would be 30 percent casualitys . I think the one I did the HMS Sheffield was shown on a demonstration film , she already had a sprinkler systems made it all look feasible. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hazel
    I an sure that the National Archives mat have such information,as i did look a wee bit and came up with similar info on Army ,but one has to look around a bit as there are so many various things at the NA ??
    cHEERS
    Below is a Link that may be of some help but you will have to go through all Sections ,however i dont know if this will relate to what you are seeking??

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/...-military-maps
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd March 2020 at 02:48 AM.
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

9. Thanks Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Again Hazel I know not what you actually want,but is this the sort of thing we are looking for! At a guess i would say Yes!??
    Still searching possibly getting closer!
    You pose a hard task here! LOL
    cHEERS

https://echodelta.net/mbs/eng-grids.php

https://www.uboat.net/maps/grid.html
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd March 2020 at 05:48 AM.

R697530

11. Thanks Hazel Stringer thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think if one can understand any of this Hazel it may just be the Key to what you want? But once again not sure as its all gibberish to me !
    Cheers

Some notes on the wartime “Modified British” map coordinate systems | Numpty's Progress

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Must have changed quite a bit from when I did it in mid 50's at ship moored on the Strand in London. Cant remember much except we were trained on laying a gun, and the practice shells had been specially weighed to weigh 62 !/2lbs as was the real thing. Told to punch shell in hard with fist as the breech would close and could damage the hand. Rammed in with a hard straight right, shell bounced and jammed the breech. Also saw a lot of films all marked restricted including one about air/sea rescue which I had seen the night before as an advert to Senior Service cigarettes. A very happy week of extra leave.

14. Thanks j.sabourn thanked for this post
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast