Default Singapore

John was SHE one of the Kyties from Boogi street? Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Singapore

Could be although a bit young for those days. JS
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Denis O'Shea View Post
    John was SHE one of the Kyties from Boogi street? Rgds Den
    Ahh! Bugis street, happy daze, great memories, haggling price of price of the beer, winding up the kai tais, dance of the flaming ar--holes on the roof of the Bugis street sh-thouse, punch ups between army n navy before they abandoned it to tourists.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 03:36 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tony they were the days but stopped in Singers on my way to see my son and family in Oz 1975 and asked a taxi driver to take me to boogi street he had never heard of it and said there was no such place even when I was saying about the ladyboys so appears doesn't exist any more. Rgds Den
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Denis O'Shea View Post
    Tony they were the days but stopped in Singers on my way to see my son and family in Oz 1975 and asked a taxi driver to take me to boogi street he had never heard of it and said there was no such place even when I was saying about the ladyboys so appears doesn't exist any more. Rgds Den
    The area was redeveloped,another popular place for us was Fattys restaurant in Albert Street, but that went as well. Fattys is now in Bencoolen street and a tourist attraction I believe. The food was excellent and cooked in the street although we used to eat upstairs with an open french window where we had a good view of the street below, great fun watching rats running round the feet of street diners who were unaware.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 03:37 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I spent 12 weeks in Singapore in 1999, babysitting a uk small survey vessel brought in from the uk, can’t remember her original name , but she was renamed the Teknik Putra and put under the Panamanian flag. My job consisted to take her out to anchorages at frequent intervals and bring her back in frequently for food and repairs as required. We used to lie in Jurong when alongside which was a seabase for offshore Riga and vessels. Jurong is at the eastern end of Singapore Island and is where Lou Barron an old member of this site spent a lot of the war years, now deceased and a lot will remember him with kind thoughts. On a trip to NZ a few years later I met up with Lou in his home town, and we talked about Jurong then and now. He spelt it different and pronounced it as two words, I only ever knew it as one Jurong. However in 1991 they still had a Bugi street but it was purely a tourist joint. Fattys I well remember
    From Many years before that but never got to that area in 1999. I often wonder what happened to the Teknik Putra. At that time the Malaysian owner wanted to put it on the Aussie Coast, I told him it would never pass the maritime unions inspection which was true. I have a feeling maybe the Malaysian Navy might have taken her over. JS
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Going further back to Singapore , remember in the 50s when the seamans club was there beleive it had swimming pool as well.As said in another post always felt safe in Singapore .It has been through various phases over the years , at one time if your hair was too long you were refused entry this was during the beatnik years , if you arrived in a group as seafarers you were kept in a group for the immigration and cleared for whatever hotel or ship you were destined for., As regards money as a lot has been said on wages at various times , the Teknik Putra had a full Indonesian crew apart from the surveyors she would normally carry which would probably put her up to about 40 , a lot for such a small vessel. We were paid every 4 weeks whether alongside or not if at anchor I had to get a bum boat ashore not of the Suez Canal variety but were actually called bum boats. Met the cash man ashore who handed over large sums of money on the quayside consisting of US dollars and Singapore dollars . The chief engineer and self were paid in US dollars and the crew all Indonesians in Singapore currency which was a good deal for them. I never ever felt like a target in Singapore carrying such. They had their own laws and kept strictly to them. The chief engineer was Russian an spoke very little English but at the end of the. 12 weeks when I left could get by reasonably well. And as said in another post these country’s paid salary’s then as per nationality and not by the so called international union rates. Cheers JWS.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 03:38 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

As for Bugis Street, I have very fond memories of Singapore. Having been transferred from Fiji to Singapore at the end of 1967 I eventually left there in 1987. I did have a four years each during that time in the UK and Indonesia and witnessed the growth of that British Garrison to a vibrant city state under the remarkable leadership of Lee Kwan Yew and his team. His son Lee Hsien Loong, who is at the helm, is continuing the progression. Sure, you can't please everybody, but during my two decades there I witnessed discipline and good management as with the development of the CPF (Central Provident Fund) that was managed by the State and not private investors and provided it's citizens with a guaranteed financial benefit.

People are allowed to apply themselves to the throbbing night life of Bugis Street, and now, and or enjoy the many excitements and advantages of living in such a fabulous society.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 03:39 PM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Singapore

Richard I think you supplied me with information about Alex. Cooper a long term resident of Singapore at one time. I passed this on to others who didn’t know his background. But at various times he used to unwind with me of the past with a bottle of whiskey He was a fine bloke of an era long gone . And had been head accountant at Singapore and Malaysian airlines at different times . Started his time in imperial Airways the forerunner of BOAC. Came off the beaches at Dunkirk as a private soldier and was demobbed in 1946 as a bird colonel. They threw away the mould when he died a few years ago . I think I thanked you at the time, but if didn’t accept a belated one.
    Himself and wife think adopted a Singaporean child who rose to very high ranks in the Singaporean Defence Force.
    Regards JS.
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 16th March 2020 at 09:39 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#41. Tony I picked up the Dickerson Tide under the US flag in Port Moresby in November 95. The American I had to sign on as second mate and the ch, engineer as 3 engineer. She was a bottom seismic vessel , that is you laid a single cable on the sea bed and held the vessel at the end of cable whilst the siurveyors did what surveyors do.
    He reckoned and I quite believed him that the Australian Abs were getting better pay than him. I also relieved various American masters in the North Sea , they used to do 2 months on and one month off, and were quite happy with the pay which even to me was poor on stand by vessels. Those who think American seafarers are on film star wages are only working on what they see on Hollywood movies The 12 weeks I did in Singapore I was paid just over 3000 a month US. Which was below Australian wages, it would have been double that on one of their other ships if I had had a D.P. Cert. Any foreign flag ship payed in US dollars and they paid what they had to to get the services they wanted. However as often said at that moment in time the Australian maritime were the fairest in the world by Australian seafarers ideas. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 02:44 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast