Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Singapore

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Singapore

JS Re Singapore. I can't recall about Alex Cooper but over the years I became a bit of the furniture and among my friends were many old timers, some who were "in the bag" as they referred to their sojourn in Changi and other resorts. Their strength of character, was no doubt honed by their many life threatening experiences. I have my website into which I have stacked memories of those halcyon days after WW2, but also of that horrendous Banka Island massacre of nurses. The site It came about when a group of we old retirees from before Queensland Insurance got swallowed up back in 1973, got together thirty years ago - and those of us left are still going strong.
    Anyway, I think you may like the pages of Singapore, Karachi, Calcutta and the rest. It's all here Queensland Insurance Company Oldies
    Regards, Richard
    PS. To see all the Australian shipping companies and vessels click FLOTILLA AUSTRALIA
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 02:44 PM.
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

If I remember Richard you sent me a picture of whom I matched up was his father who was I believe something like the head honcho government wise of Singapore before it fell to the Japanese. Alexander himself was born out east but think he attended boarding school in the UK . There was no airs and graces about him however. His father was Sir something Cooper but he never talked about it. He was also stationed at Aden airport at one time but walked off the job and caught one of his own flights to London . Even before these days of terrorism it existed then where it all otriginall started . Cheers JS.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 02:45 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The handyman

Tony correction to my post it was 2009 not 1975 (another senior moment) the 75 was my age at the time. Rgds Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Denis O'Shea View Post
    Tony they were the days but stopped in Singers on my way to see my son and family in Oz 1975 and asked a taxi driver to take me to boogi street he had never heard of it and said there was no such place even when I was saying about the ladyboys so appears doesn't exist any more. Rgds Den
    My first trip to Singapore was 1970, I was first trip junior eng. and went ashore with my senior watch keeper who was an ex Ben line guy. He introduced me to the Champagne Bar but I dare not write what went on in there; also the Cellar Bar on Collier Quay was a regular stop off, not far from Change Alley, the Satay Club in QE park.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Sailed with a couple of Ben Line blokes. They all knew Singapore well. Know of two who went into the Singapore pilot service. Apart from when on larger ships I never used pilots, below 1000 gross was optional. And Singapore authority’s abided by the rules as said. The traffic in the straits. Could be very daunting, it wasn’t so much ordinary shipping ,but all the local boat traffic barges being towed etc. their port control and reporting in system was second to none, however in the present day manning it could be the straw that nearly broke the camels back as took if the truth was known an extra pair of hands on the bridge which you don’t have today. Cheers JS.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 02:46 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Singapore went through some very tough times during WW2, it was only a shell by the time war ended.

But look at it now, an example of how a country can pick itself up after such devastation and become a major player in so many things.
    Singapore harbor and water was must be one of the busiest there is.
    The city one of the cleanest and safest any where, and a town easy to get around.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 17th March 2020 at 02:47 PM.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Re #8 - Singapore and Rotterdam were the World's two busiest ports. In the attached photographs my office was above 'EAST' in Guthrie's Building on the banks of Sungai Singapura (Singapore River) looking out on the river. In the photo (#8) of Singapore in the mid 1960's the tallest building then was the 17 storied Asia Insurance Building in from the top right hand corner of panoramic earlier picture. We, as a family, or on our own, could and did walk in relevant safety in Singapore.
    Richard
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Richard, according to the news toady Singapore was the first country to do anything about the Virus.
    They began in late December getting things sorted.
    But such a clean country even so they now have a few cases.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

9. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Stopped in Singapore many times for bunkers, but seldom got ashore. As mate on the Sandys River, we had gone through 24 year surveys in Hong Kong and then loaded a full cargo of rice. Unfortunately, one overboard discharge had been refitted without a gasket, so when we were loaded, the discharge was under water and leaked in to No 4 tweendeck.
    Arrived in Singapore late evening and told surveyor would board at 0800 next day, so 2nd Engineer and i went ashore for a walk. Got back about 0400. 0800 and surveyor boards saying I did not look to good. Told him we had been ashore and started at the bottom and worked down. He remarked that that was not possible in Singapore, so I told him we had started at a bar at Clifford Steps and ended up in Bugis Street. He just said,'You did didn't you"

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

spent Christmas day there 68 an old ab said you will smell Singapore from 2 days out he was right now its one of the cleanest places on the planet? jp

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast