Curacao apr 17 sd
    Avonmouth apr 27

2. Thanks j.sabourn, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Port Auckland 1950

#41... Robert the distance Liverpool to Curacao is 4006 n.m. steaming time approx 10 days so at a guess would say the ship was capable of doing approx 16.5 knots near enough , you dont have to be a navigator to take it from there to check the figures yourself. As said previously a days steaming at 400 n,m a day should be ample to check the authenticity of the figures you have . JS
    R575129

4. Thanks Robert George Young, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The question was as put originally what I thought was A round trip of 57 days uk to uk which I queried and still do if those dates originally given were correct. Anyone with the information now at hand can check , they have the distances the ports and the estimated days run of 400 miles ,will be interested if anyone works it out themselves and someone comes up with an answer acceptable to the original poster. All that is needed is a pencil and paper cheers JS
    See question 17
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 4th April 2021 at 01:06 PM.
    R575129

6. Thanks Robert George Young thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Funnily enough mountbatten was revered on tyneside by crew members of HMS kelly ......a club for crewmembers was filled with guys WHO ACTUALLY SAILED WITH HIM DID THE BUSINNES AND WORE THE T SHIRT .....IN OTHER WORDS THEY DID IT NOT TALKED ABOUT IT .....The club was going for many years.......the royal navy was in many actions and created many brave deeds during WW11.......dont suppose without googling it many willl know of theHMS manxman ....45 knots who sailed into an italian harbour kicked the shxt of off the italian fleet and sailed out ....as for what that irish crap did to an old man and his grandchildren......well it speaks for itself...one of my old captains certainly liked them when they shot into a fiord....in hms cossack i believe and rescued dozens of M,N OFFICERS AND CREWS FROM THE ALTMARK but then armchairs after the event always like mother ...seem to know most.......thats my view on Mountbatten and the BRITISH ROYAL NAVY .......CAPPY

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by cappy View Post
    funnily enough mountbatten was revered on tyneside by crew members of hms kelly ......a club for crewmembers was filled with guys who actually sailed with him did the businnes and wore the t shirt .....in other words they did it not talked about it .....the club was going for many years.......the royal navy was in many actions and created many brave deeds during ww11.......dont suppose without googling it many willl know of thehms manxman ....45 knots who sailed into an italian harbour kicked the shxt of off the italian fleet and sailed out ....as for what that irish crap did to an old man and his grandchildren......well it speaks for itself...one of my old captains certainly liked them when they shot into a fiord....in hms cossack i believe and rescued dozens of m,n officers and crews from the altmark but then armchairs after the event always like mother ...seem to know most.......thats my view on mountbatten and the british royal navy .......cappy
    mountbatten was in the thick of it .....till the hms kelly was sunk .....google it and see a picture of it after action sailing half afloat coming in the tyne .....get your facts right .....see the list of dead and those named with injuries....one man lost his bottle and left his post ....mountbatten spoke to the crew and gave that man solace and peace of mind ....when he could have had him shot......get your facts from men who were there not the media

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan I did not take it seriously I know it always hissed people off when the radio room was sealed and I was off until we sailed. Den

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

1st. trip as master, had taken bunkers in Singapore bound for Japan on Japanese charter, sat in cabin and using day yo page worked out eta in Yokohama. Sent off msg to charterers, and almost immediately reply came, please confirm eta. Checked days on chartroom calendar and reduced eta by a week. W'ent to cabin to find day to a page had a week missing.
    Shocking weather and eventually arrived on original erroneous eta.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mountbattens original family name was von Blattenburg unless anyone already has said this , as this conjured up visions of the First World War it was changed to Mountbatten. He was always to my recollection as Cappy says always looked on with favour by the general public , which didn’t include the Irish murderers who thought otherwise. JS.
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I read a book about the British security services in Ireland, by a trooper from the SES, I know that fighting there, there was no quarter given.
    But there was also a story that Mountbatten was killed by the British secret services, as the British people were getting sick of the whole thing and they had to gee them up, silly as it sounds, there have been other instances similar, like that scientist that said there were no weapons of mass destruction in Iraq, who committed suicide I don't think.
    Des
    R510868
    Lest We Forget

13. Likes j.sabourn, Tony Taylor, N/A, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Richard

Would 9/11/49 been the maiden voyage?

He was on till 27 April 1950