Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Voyage record cards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Voyage record cards

Just received a lot of VRCs for ships dad was one 1946-73..

Interesting stuff.

During sea days could somebody tell me what able seaman did in the 50’s and 60’s?
    What you be a typical daily routine for an AB?

Thank you

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Voyage record cards

Hi Robert,
    The Ab from the 50-60s were real seamen, at sea you would have been on a watch, doing your trick at the wheel, plus alternating with the lookout. During the day watch, it would be painting, maintaining the working gear , derricks etc, wire and rope splicing, to many jobs to list all. In port, after mooring the ship it would be raising the derricks to work cargo, open hatches etc, it was a constant to and fro, trimming the derricks to reach different parts of the cargo in the hold, if the weather changed, it was a rush to cover the hatches to keep the cargo dry etc. I'm sure some of the lads on here will add numerous other jobs we did on deck, all in all we all loved the life. Just a few ideas until someone adds their comments, regards kt
    R689823

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Keith Tindell View Post
    Hi Robert,
    The Ab from the 50-60s were real seamen, at sea you would have been on a watch, doing your trick at the wheel, plus alternating with the lookout. During the day watch, it would be painting, maintaining the working gear , derricks etc, wire and rope splicing, to many jobs to list all. In port, after mooring the ship it would be raising the derricks to work cargo, open hatches etc, it was a constant to and fro, trimming the derricks to reach different parts of the cargo in the hold, if the weather changed, it was a rush to cover the hatches to keep the cargo dry etc. I'm sure some of the lads on here will add numerous other jobs we did on deck, all in all we all loved the life. Just a few ideas until someone adds their comments, regards kt
    Keith has mentioned most of it, but hasn't mentioned the agility, strength and balance required to perform these tasks, most of which could not be carried out with a drink inside you. Putting the description of work on paper doesn't portray what knowledge and training was necessary to carry out these tasks, one mistake and lives could be lost very easily, and unfortunately on occasions were.

Covering the hatches with tarpaulins may sound simple as described, but don't think of a lorry tarpaulin, think of something 30 feet by 50 feet made of heavy duty canvas three times thicker than your average working jeans. Each hatch had to be covered in three of these, then the edges and corners had to be folded, sometimes in minus temperatures and in heavy rain, then they had to be secured with flat steel battens 10/15 feet x 1/4" x 4" along the whole length of the hatch port and starboard sides as well as fore and aft sides , then wedge up, making sure that the large end of the wedge was facing for'd on port and starboard sides and facing inboard on fore and aft ends, then you had to place your cross hatch battens on top over the tarpaulins and screw them tight by the midship screw, think of nuts big as your hand. If really bad weather was expected after leaving port you would then run 2.5" ropes diagonally port and starboard over the tarps and tighten with a Spanish windlass, you would have five or six hatches to do before departure, then flatten 10 -18 derricks, lash them and their guys and preventers to ensure they stayed put. Rig a lifeline fore and aft both on the foredeck and the aft deck. That's just one job of dozens required before leaving port.

Just as an aside because of your previous thread, a lot of seamen who drank ashore and were three sheets to the wind when ashore, never touched a drop when aboard ship, and I certainly would not have let a drunk seamen anywhere on deck during these operations

I feel sure many others will describe other jobs in detail, lets put it this way, somehow I never got chance to be bored, even on the longest slowest sea passages, there was always some task, which you thought would be okay until mother nature came along and made you do it all over again
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 22nd February 2020 at 01:14 PM. Reason: old age!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember those hatchboards Ivan, lifting them off the deck, 2 man job, then usually 2 more men sliding them into position, prior to battening down, they were really heavy. i often wonder what happened to those when the ships were scrapped?, if they were used to build a shed etc i would think they are still going strong, kt
    R689823

6. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember well the burns you got on your hands pulling the Tarps taught over the hatch boards.
    Hard work most times.
    Graham R774640

8. Thanks Robert George Young thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I remember those hatchboards Ivan, lifting them off the deck, 2 man job, then usually 2 more men sliding them into position, prior to battening down, they were really heavy. i often wonder what happened to those when the ships were scrapped?, if they were used to build a shed etc i would think they are still going strong, kt
    One thing for sure we didn't need an onboard gym like they have these days, the pitching, rolling and yawing kept our leg muscles in trim, no stabilisers in those days, what is going to sea without a good pitch and roll, may as well be on a boating lake !! and white leading and tallowing the stays on a rolling vessel kept our arms and body tensioned whilst hanging in a bosuns chair. Looking back we didn't realise just how fit we were just doing our normal duties.

Off on Tuesday for my 30 days dancing in Tenerife, salsa, rock n roll and American Smooth uses every muscle in your body, but have to give the lifts a miss! even if HWMBO is only 8stone.

Those hatchboards would support a tank if you built a bridge out of them
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 22nd February 2020 at 05:26 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Enjoy your stay Ivan, don't tell them your British !!!!, we are not flavour of the month over there, lol, kt
    R689823

11. Likes Doc Vernon, Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Yes those VRC are really quite interesting i got my lot as well but many Years ago now,thankful that they had all of them,
    The Crew Lists are also vert interesting besides the names listed there is also lots more as Entries on the Paperwork of all sorts,after reading all of mine i was quite astounded by what i read. There were quite a few Incidents that i well recall.
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Doc, thank you for your support and help in my obtaining these VRCs
    They are going to be so interesting.

Where would I get the Crew lists you mentioned?

I give my dad more respect than ever now realising how hard his merchant seaman life would have been.

Thank you
    Bob

Crew lists are obtainable from the following place depending on the Ship date etc.
    It is best to contact then and ask if they have Lists for Ships you want info on,from there they will reply with costs etc. You will need to get official Ship Numbers before starting as you will see. Here is an example of the Stirling Castle Off Number 164570 that i was on 1958 however although i got all my Crew Lists it shows that they dont have anything? So not always correct on site,that is why better to ask first
    Cheers

https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/view...cial_No=164570

https://www.mun.ca/mha/holdings/searchcombinedcrews.php
    Last edited by Doc Vernon; 23rd February 2020 at 09:17 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Robert George Young View Post
    I give my dad more respect than ever now realising how hard his merchant seaman life would have been.

Thank you
    Bob
    How often have we heard children say when asked 'What job has your dad got'...……………..'Oh! he doesn't work, he goes to sea'

I feel sure some of our wordsmiths, of which there are very many, can describe other jobs that our children (and possibly wives!) didn't consider work, such as holystoning or chopping ice off the rigging/stays, cleaning and washing cathedral size holds, stowing dunnage in the tweendecks on a rolling pitching ship, come on lads the list is endless, the 0630 hours washdown even when taking green seas to satisfy the Old Man's ego, etc etc

- - - Updated - - -

Enjoy your stay Ivan, don't tell them your British !!!!, we are not flavour of the month over there, lol, kt
    From the news this morning, looks like we'll be doing the Sand Shoe Shuffle!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 ... LastLast