Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5

Thread: Voyage record cards

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Voyage record cards

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Quartermaine View Post
    Signed on Port Line's MV Lowlander January 1947 as Saloon Boy for five pounds a month plus five pounds a month War Bonus. Signed on Shaw Savill & Albion SS Raranga in August 1947 for the same amounts as Galley Boy. Signed on Aberdeen & Commonwealth Line SS Moreton Bay February 1948 as Asst Steward, by which time (I think it was) the War Bonus was scrapped and applied in full to the actual wage amount. In those days before joining the London Connaught Road Pool in 1950, I was on repatriation terms to Australia and was paid five pounds a month in London between Raranga and Moreton Bay - November to February - one of the coldest winters in UK for many years. Obviously the climate was still in good condition in those days.
    Richard

Richard, 5 pounds a month, good grief how did you manage to spend all of that.LOL
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

2. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Especially if one of those big white fivers where you had to sign on the back in case of forgery. Was always trouble getting a cup of coffee with one of those as never had enough change in the till. JS

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

With alacrity. John of Oz. In fact on my first trip and on a daybreak queue in Newcastle NSW to sign on I was asked did i want to send some of my pay home. I was caught on the hop and said 'half'. Had more time to think about it next time. But a quid in those days was real money. Can't recall the cost of a mild and bitter in Dirty Dicks near Aldgate.

Ah John S! Those big, beautiful, white, five quid notes with the copper plate writing were absolutely loverly.
    Richard
    Our Ship was our Home
    Our Shipmates our Family

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

he would be watch keeping.4 hours on watch and 8 hours off.which consisted of 2 hours on the wheel 1 hour off and 1 hour on lookout.the watches were 4-8.8-12.12-4.some times there would be some overtime between watches.in which he would be painting,soujying,splicing ropes or wires any maintenance jobs.mooring ship and letting go.he could be working up the mast on a bosuns chair or on a stage.no safety harnesses in those days.i should know I was an a.b in those days.

6. Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

#43. Richard that allotment of 50 % of wages was the maximum one could leave. Only with special permission of the shipowner could you leave more. Overtime didn’t come into it as regards allotments. An Ab married with 6 kids in the 50s the max allotment was about 15 quid a month. So who advised you probably said so . Was probably why you left that much. When I got married I was on 76 pounds a month and could only leave 38 pounds a month allotment and had a good excuse for the wife. However shortly after that wages were paid directly to a bank account and you had to pay all shipboard expenses by a cheque. I can’t remember what year this was made all the same for all crew members , at least the wives got more. If you didn’t have a cheque book you just signed for as a sub and was radioed in every month and the owner deducted from wages before banking This didn’t apply to foreign vessels I was on Mostly you were paid cash in hand every month and it was up to you how you used it.you could in some cases leave an allotment the old way as usual also. Cheers JS
    Last edited by j.sabourn; 12th March 2020 at 01:52 PM.

8. Thanks Richard Quartermaine thanked for this post
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5