Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: SS Phidias

Keith at Tregenna Guest

Default Re: SS Phidias

May take some time and no promises on results but,
    touch wood something else will crop up.

DIXON, 3rd R.O. ALBERT BENNETT (30), SS PHIDIAS 8th June 1941
    In the North Atlantic, the U-46 sank the cargo liner Phidias, 5623 tons (Lamport and Holt Line), the U.K. to South Africa, with the loss of eight of her crew.

Seems well recorded MN at the time of loss, fingers crossed for more.

K.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon, Diane Lincoln thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I think i and you have supplied enough for Diane to go forward now Keith i has sent her both an Email and PM asking her to follow the Links etc but so far no response to either !??
    Will see later what happens .
    I am sure there is CRS10 available at Kew.
    So up to Diane now!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

4. Thanks N/A thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Hopefully, Diane will reply or come back with her findings.

K.

6. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Depending if his records had been moved from the Fourth Register to the Fifth Register

1913 to 1940 Fourth Register of Merchant Seaman's service.

These records are available at The National Archives and are held on Microfiche in the following classifications BT 348: Register of Seamen, Central Index, Numerical Series (CR 2), BT 349: Register of Seamen, Central Index, Alphabetical Series (CR 1) and BT 350: Register of Seamen, Special Index, Alphabetical Series (CR 10). These three classes were combined in one classification namely BT 364 Register of Seaman, Combined Numerical Index (CR1, CR 2 & CR 10) and were made up by extracting combinations of cards from the other three classes.The original records for the above named classifications are now held at the following address: Southampton Archives, Southampton City Council, South Block, Civic Centre, Southampton, S014 7LY. This office is open Tuesdays to Fridays 9.30am to 4.30pm, with one late evening opening each month. There is no charge for a personal visit. Alternatively enquiries for information from the records may be made by post, e-mail or fax but there will be a charge for this.

1941 to 1972 Fifth Register of Merchant Seaman's Service

These records are held at The National Archives in classification BT 382. The Fifth Register of Seaman’s Service 1941 to 1972.

Records of individual Merchant Seamen's sea service details are held in alphabetical surname order. These details include the following information: Name of seaman, Date and place of birth, Discharge (Seaman’s) book number, Rank, Details of the ships on which he served. These include:

Name of ship and official number, date of engagement (Joining ship), Date of discharge (Leaving ship), whether ship was a foreign going of home trade vessel, and records in some cases National Insurance contributions. Details shown in these records are similar to those contained in an individual seaman's discharge book.

Cargo ship Phidias, 5,623grt, (Lamport & Holt Line) had been sailing independently loaded with a cargo of military stores including ammunition as well as fourteen aircraft at Greenock bound for Cape Town. Just after midnight (CET) on the 9th June 1941 about 600 nautical miles north of the Azores the ship was hit by the last torpedo from U-46, which failed to explode. The U-boat then began to shell the ship using her deck gun. Striking the lower bridge, one shell blew off the Masters hand as the Phidias gun crew began returning fire until their ship eventually caught fire. Burning fiercely the ship was ordered abandoned and sank in position 48 25N 26’ 12W along with the Master and seven crewmembers. The forty-three survivors were eventually rescued two days later by the British Merchant ship Embassage outward bound for Canada landing the survivors at Sydney, Cape Breton.
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

You could find his Dis.A. by downloading his medal file in BT 395/1/25101
    "Across the seas where the great waves grow, there are no fields for the poppies to grow, but its a place where Seamen sleep, died for their country, for you and for peace" (Billy McGee 2011)

9. Thanks N/A, Doc Vernon, Diane Lincoln thanked for this post
    Likes N/A, Des Taff Jenkins, Diane Lincoln liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Billy ,dont know why i forgot to look at the Medal Listing,good one !
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

11. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, N/A liked this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Diane Lincoln View Post
    Thanks Keith I’ve seen the items the uboat site. I have no knowledge of a discharge book number. I do have a subscription with Find my past and can’t find much about his service on there. I am in possession of his war medals, passed down from my nana and mum ��
    RE: I am in possession of his war medals.

Possibly, if you have any documentation with the medals his discharge / service number may be in the paper work ?

K.

13. Likes Doc Vernon liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

EXTRACTED FROM MY BOOK, SHIPPING COMPANY LOSSES OF THE SECOND WORLD WAR.

PHIDIAS (Captain Ernest Parks). In Convoy OB.330 which sailed from Liverpool on 2 June, 1941 and dispersed on the 7th. Shortly after midnight on the 8th, when in position 48°25´N 26°12´W, she was attacked by U.46 (Oblt. Engelbert Endrass), but, as the last torpedo possessed by the u-boat hit the ship without exploding, she sank her by gunfire. Eight died. Forty-three picked up by the Embassage and landed at Sydney, Cape Breton Island, Nova Scotia.

15. Thanks Doc Vernon, Diane Lincoln thanked for this post
    Keith at Tregenna Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Keith at Tregenna View Post

DIXON, 3rd R.O. ALBERT BENNETT (30), SS PHIDIAS 8th June 1941
    In the North Atlantic, the U-46 sank the cargo liner Phidias, 5623 tons (Lamport and Holt Line), the U.K. to South Africa, with the loss of eight of her crew.

K.

I did forget to add a link to the above info.

In Memoriam: World War Two: Radio Officers killed at sea 1939 – 1945

https://www.radioofficers.com/in-mem...in-memoriam-2/

17. Thanks Diane Lincoln thanked for this post
    Likes Diane Lincoln liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thanks Deep Sea. Your last paragraph re the shelling and the Masters hand being blown off - I’ve not read about this. Can you tell me where this info comes from. Diane

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast