Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Bosun's Manual

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Bosun's Manual

What was the full title of the Bosun's Manual and who was the author. It is so long ago since I saw one, I vaguely remember it had a blue and white dust cover, I'm sure someone has a copy on their book shelf and can take a quick look and tell me.

Thanks.

Alan.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Bosun's Manual

Not sure on this as i was in Catering but scroll down this list (On the Link) is it any of the ones shown ??
    Cheers

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-sear...swains-manual/
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

It was " The Boatswain's Manual " by William A. McLeod. Later " editions " were revised by various Master Mariners. It had a dark blue cover with gold lettering, a rope with figure of 8 knot in gold and the Merchant Navy fouled anchor.

I also seem to remember a similar named Book by a H F Chase which was white with green and red stripe.

Hope this helps.

PS just seen the White book with the stripes on Vernon's link - however I only properly remember the dark blue one which I have a copy somewhere, I suspect in the attic loft.
    Last edited by Chris Allman; 4th January 2020 at 09:23 PM.
    When one door closes another one shuts, it must be the wind

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Thank you Doc and Chris, I just ordered it, under 10 quid and shipped to the States not bad. I see they brought out a new Edition every few years so I got a 1954 edition. It was the cheapest but that's not why I got it it was the closest date to my time at sea, honestly.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by casso View Post
    Thank you Doc and Chris, I just ordered it, under 10 quid and shipped to the States not bad. I see they brought out a new Edition every few years so I got a 1954 edition. It was the cheapest but that's not why I got it it was the closest date to my time at sea, honestly.
    Once you start reading it you won't be able to put it down, still have mine from the 50's, it brings back so many memories of things we could do and enjoyed. The best book for insomniacs is 'Business and Law for the Shipmaster' your brain goes numb and your eyes close!

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by casso View Post
    Hi Alan, just dug my copy out, it was on the top shelf of my bookcase and hasn't been opened for years, it was full of dust. I bought it when I went to sea in 1952. The front is imprinted "THE BOATSWAIN'S MANUAL" it was in gold when it was new but that has all worn away but the imprint is still there. The spine lettering is still there in gold and says THE BOATSWAIN'S MANUAL then below that McLEOD then below that again BROWN,SON & FERGUSON. Inside it says First printed 1944, Reprinted 1951, Reprinted 1952.
    I think you got a good bargain there with shipment to the USA. Hope it brings back a few memories for you.

Regards... Alec.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ahhh! The boatswain manual. My edition had the fold out cargo plan of a Bank line vessel, business and law for the shipmaster was riveting night time reading compared to trying to understand Electricity and Electronics for deck officers. These were two soft backed slim volumes that supposedly taught us deck guys up for mates and masters all we needed to know about how electricity was generated and distributed and how resistors, capacitators, etc. Worked in circuits, totally riveting....not. got all my books from the Westoe book store, opposite the Westoe pub in shields, which was handy as after purchasing your books you could retire to the pub to immerse yourself in the intricacies of Business and Law or Electronics.
    Rgds
    J.A,
    Last edited by John Arton; 5th January 2020 at 11:08 AM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hello
    My late g/father was a Bosun 1914-18. Don't suppose that there are any manuals from that time? Would there have been one for sail as he was in sail at beginning of 20th century?
    Regards
    Brenda

10. Thanks Captain Kong thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Brenda Shackleton View Post
    Hello
    My late g/father was a Bosun 1914-18. Don't suppose that there are any manuals from that time? Would there have been one for sail as he was in sail at beginning of 20th century?
    Regards
    Brenda
    Brenda I have Seamanship books dating from 1919, but I doubt a Bosun's Manual was available (I stand to be corrected) however in my era ( 50's - 70's) I was never on a ship where-in the bosun actually had a Bosun's manual, they were primarily published to assist aspiring young officers/cadets/apprentices etc to learn what was involved in running an efficient deck. Bosuns learnt their expertise by information passed down and by practical experience and by Chief Officers being able to spot an AB who may have been a cut above the others, although not all even extra ordinary efficient AB's did want the responsibility of being a bosun as they preferred to be one of the lads, nor want the responsibility of getting up earlier to confer with the Mate about the day's work or stay late and do the paperwork for the crews overtime, make out store lists etc etc. A good bosun was worth his weight in gold to a Chief Officer.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Alan
    It was called THE Boatswain's Manual by William A McLeod. Revised by Captain H F Chase B.Sc. Extra Master.
    My was a Reprinted 1961.
    Hope that helps.
    Mike.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast