Thread: Shore power for cruise ships

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Shore power for cruise ships

On the local news this morning, Southampton set to be the first to install the system. I think there are worries on the sudden drain on the power, kt
    R689823

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Shore power for cruise ships

I do not think that the power surge would be significant if the synchronisation was carried out correctly. It would definitely not be an onerous situation!

4. Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Tom,i am really only repeating the concerns that the persons who are dealing with this are expressing. I know in the past for example , the power companies have stated that at half time in the FA cup final, everyone brews a cuppa, and they have a tremendous surge, so a cruise ship is akin to a small town i suppose, and if not monitored, could cause a huge drain. Much as the power companies have stated that the advent of electric cars and charging could be a problem unless action of some sort is taken, as said these are only points of view i read about, the intricacies are well beyond my knowledge, changing a plug is the extend of my skills, kt
    R689823

6. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Graham Payne liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Unless Southampton are planning to install II's and diesel generators I would suggest that the shore power availability would be 410 volts at 50 Cycles whilst most of the cruise ships I would guess are 440 volts 60 Cycles. I would expect that would give the unborn electricians quite a few headaches everything will run slower and you was quite a few more amps
    Rob Page R855150 - British & Commonwealth Shipping ( 1965 - 1973 ) Gulf Oil -( 1973 - 1975 ) Sealink ( 1975 - 1986 )

8. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

They could run their own generators and supply power at the required voltage and frequency.
    They could use mains gas for fuel which is still the cheapest form of fuel available, any excess could be sold off into the grid.
    They are installed in many hospitals who also utilise the heat as well to assist heating in hospital buildings also.
    They are available as self contained units in standard 20ft containers, so could be run in multiples, the ones I have seen can output up to 9.5Mw (made by Jenbacher (GE company), V24 format.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Gas still produces Co2, and under one of the Climate Change meetings gas as fuel is to be phased out.
    Over 500 ships dock in Soton annually, which is approximately ten ships per week.
    In one day six cruise ships visited the port. The base load of each cruise ships is about on average 5MW, which means at least 30mW of generator capacity.
    It will require a lot of detailed planning, costing before any of it comes to fruition.
    Vic

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by vic mcclymont View Post
    Gas still produces Co2, and under one of the Climate Change meetings gas as fuel is to be phased out.
    Over 500 ships dock in Soton annually, which is approximately ten ships per week.
    In one day six cruise ships visited the port. The base load of each cruise ships is about on average 5MW, which means at least 30mW of generator capacity.
    It will require a lot of detailed planning, costing before any of it comes to fruition.
    Vic
    I take your point Vic, but if they are serious about it, it would probably be the cleanest and easiest option available currently. I doubt if the grid could cope, and if it could, power would probably be from fossil fuel sources, but I guess the local environment would not have cruise ship gennys pumping very dirty exhaust into the atmosphere locally.