Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: The 6 week trip that wasn't !

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: The 6 week trip that wasn't !

i know what you mean i joined the John Star , lemos and co London/ Greek, that was 6 weeks also, but ended up 2 years, nearly sank in the Indian ocean, had a cargo of Spanish rice for japan, what with the waxing and waning , the water entered the hold and the rice began to expand causing a leak in the hull, captain gates said everybody put on your lifebelts, i luckily slept and when i woke up the sea was like a duck pond, in japan the put a metal band to stop water entering on our next voyage.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan Just spotted your thread what ship was it. A similar thing happened to me on the Romanby and it sounds like the same charter. As we were loading in Fremantle for our return to Europe there was another Ropner ship ( I think Willowpool ) loading for the same Chinese charter and those lovely staff in the office decided that two of our deck apprentices might like a trip to China and transferred them over so that they could enjoy more of the mystic east.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by peter drake View Post
    Ivan Just spotted your thread what ship was it. A similar thing happened to me on the Romanby and it sounds like the same charter. As we were loading in Fremantle for our return to Europe there was another Ropner ship ( I think Willowpool ) loading for the same Chinese charter and those lovely staff in the office decided that two of our deck apprentices might like a trip to China and transferred them over so that they could enjoy more of the mystic east.
    It was the 'Wandby' sailed on her twice, first under Captain Dickson then Captain Churchill, had also sailed with Captain Churchill on the Swiftpool, another good captain was Captain Carter, only sailed with one lousy captain in Ropners, he shall remain nameless, as his son is still alive and may look in.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Ivan I think that was when most of the crew paid off I won't say which ship but its name started and ended with L

5. Likes Doc Vernon, Des Taff Jenkins liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by peter drake View Post
    Ivan I think that was when most of the crew paid off I won't say which ship but its name started and ended with L
    Yes that's the one, small world.

He told me I would never work for Ropner again, so they gave me a brand new ship...………….happy days
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 8th January 2020 at 11:11 PM.

7. Likes Des Taff Jenkins, Tony Taylor liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Trevor.
    I sailed on quite a few tankers, never took any notice of, "We are going to the gulf and back." Only ever did that once, other times it was from six months and anything up to twelve or over. Never trusted a shipowner where money was concerned.
    Des

9. Thanks Trevor Bury thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by Des Taff Jenkins View Post
    Hi Trevor.
    . Never trusted a shipowner where money was concerned.
    Des
    Alas Des, it would not have benefitted anyone, including seamen, if shipowners sent their vessels around the world in ballast and eventually going bankrupt, they had to go where the freight earnings where, not keep a promise some faceless person in a shipping office had told you. After all we were old enough to know we were signing a 24 month agreement, if people wanted bus-run routes then they should have joined a ferry service. I enjoyed my tramping days rather than regular runs, seeing new places, which is why I joined the MN in the first place.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

The ten week trip that was. Half way around the world in ballast. Left Liverpool 14/02/1969 for Napier NZ. 28 days no berth four days on the hook. To load first fruit of the season plus Picton. Arrived back in Southampton 1/05/1969. Apart from my first uncompleted voyage this was shortest deep sea trip for me.

12. Thanks Des Taff Jenkins thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Hi Ivan.
    Bad writing from me. What I meant to convey was the change of orders while at sea fully loaded, it didn't worry me how long we were out, just being at sea was what I wanted.
    Cheers Des

14. Thanks Ivan Cloherty thanked for this post
    Likes happy daze john in oz liked this post
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2