Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Travel DOC'S.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Question Travel DOC'S.

Just had a bit of a clear out and came across my first discharge book and my first passport, discharge book was issued 6 9 68 Tilbury, my first passport was issued 13 05 88 but the first stamp in it was Qatar 11 9 88. Just find odd that I entered Gravesend sea school in May 68 joined my first ship in September 68 Then 20 years later I get my first passport in May 88 and first used it in Qatar September 88. Anyone else had anything similar.

2. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: Travel DOC'S.

In those days we were issued with a Small red Seaman's Identity card along with a discharge book. You could use this card as a passport and it was not kept by the ship when you signed on as was your discharge book was. I also didn't get my first passport until leaving the merchant navy as didn't need one of you had an i.d. card.

4. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My ID Card was Green in 1958 that was!
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

All you whippersnappers, my was also green but dated 1952

7. Likes Doc Vernon, Terry Sullivan liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Mine was also green, and i think i posted before, working on a British ship in 1960, with a mainly German deck crew, i was invited by one of them to visit Berlin to stay with his cousin, while we were berthed in Hamburg.We flew into Berlin and had a great weekend, this was using my ID card as a passport. Everything was fine until we went to fly back, remember this was West Berlin in the Eastern sector, at this point we were both held for questioning, and after a long spell we were allowed to fly. Afterwards it was pointed out to me that the ID card was only valid approx 15 miles from the port, although when i paid off the same ship, i came home from Hamburg, as i never held a passport while in the MN,, kt
    R689823

9. Likes Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I have never understood the objection to Identity Cards in the UK. My Green ID card also had all my fingerprints in it, and if I recall correctly the ID card was issued before getting your Discharge Book, although both had the same photograph which has me puzzled because they both depict an innocent looking, butter wouldn't melt in my mouth, boy, who is this stranger?

During the war we all had to have an ID card, I think it was white, (it's a l...……….ong time ago) but we all had to have ration books with our names and addresses on, without it you never got your 2oz of butter and a half loaf of bread per week!!
    Last edited by Ivan Cloherty; 24th November 2019 at 02:12 PM.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Still have my Red book issued at the Vindi.

Passports, about ten or so over the years, last one just about full and will need a new one in new year.
    As to identity cards, have no problem with them as I think most of us would be.
    Why some are afraid of them is beyond me , unless they have something to hide.
    Happy daze John in Oz.

Life is too short to blend in.

John Strange R737787
    World Traveller

12. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Likes Tony Taylor, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Those red i.d. books were very rarely accepted by immigration officers in foreign countries as proof of who you were. When flying out to join your ship , especially in Europe, immigration always wanted to see your discharge book as this was proof that you had a job to go to and were not simply going to that country to free load on its social system and also that you would be leaving their country when your ship sailed. Schiphol immigration always wanted to see your discharge book or letter of introduction from head office if, when replying to their question , reason for coming to the Netherlands, you replied, joining a ship.
    Rgds
    J.A.
    P.s. lost mine years ago and can never recollect needing it.

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

I used mine a few times I remember well having to leave it in the dock office or in my case the box at the end of the quay which had an armed guard in Caracas,
    Capital of Venezuela. I also remember collecting it after a run ashore with two other lads, As we walked along the quay back to the ship there was a burst of gunfire and can remember well bullet holes appearing in one of the sheds just under the roof, The walk became a run Never had a run ashore there again, I think the idea of leaving your I.D. Book was if you never returned the port authorities had your I D as in finger prints and the skipper had them aboard in your Discharge book. I also remember leaving it in Karachi and Bombay a war zone at the time and a few ports around South America.
    {terry scouse}

15. Thanks Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

My ID Card was used many a time for Passport,and never had any troubles.
    I agree that the cards should have been kept,like said Fingerprints Photo etc on it.
    Just one thing funny but my Discharge Book had a slightly different Photo but that was i know because i only got my Book later , i was using a Travel Document first up when joining in Cape Town
    Cheers
    Senior Site Moderator-Member and Friend of this Website

R697530

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast