Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: DEMS GUNNERS - Confused and seeking clarification

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Default Re: DEMS GUNNERS - Confused and seeking clarification

on the mv riseley .....we were in oz we had done some 49 days at sea.......all where on the pizz.......the saloon steward was a good oppo of mine from shieldsand had been adrift from the day before .....i was 2nd steward ......there was a pantry steward and two boys in the pantry ....plus myself ......one of the boys was a proper grafter one a deadhead...i asked the bright one do you think you can do the lunchtime ....he was very nervous but said ok .....i said i will see you get a bit extra ovies if you get stuck in...the saloon was full with the normal crowd and the agents and a couple of other hangers on.....the old man was a goodn with his wife aboard...she was a fine woman well educated and good sense of humour .......the chief engineer was a grumpy old barsteward.....any way the kid was sweating them off but keeping the lid on it ....finally getting to the final course the chief with more than his share of whiskey down him bellowed across the saloon where is my bloody ice cream is the boy stupid where is the proper steward ......the boy was shaking and shot in the pantry in panic ....i just said get back in there and serve some body else .........the chief by now squarking i want ice cream where is my ice creamm after seeing the kid crapping himself i got a large bowl of ice cream walked across the saloon and stuck it on his head ...there is you ice cream you ignorant pig ......the old man leaped up saying something about assualting an officer .....i repected the old manand walked away ....the two deck apprentices were laughing like drains .......the captains wife shouted you deserve it you nasty old man.....i shot off got a coat and was down the gangway to catch up with my oppo in some honky tonk ......various messages came the old man wants to see you ....so before i got pissed i went back aboard up to the old mans accom knocked on the door thinking the worst......the old mans wife said come mr capps the old man shouted keep at the door which i did .....the captains wife said he is a disgusting man i would have done it myself etc etc.....the old man said i could have you in gaol now.......clear off bloody nuisance or similar ....jeez i was sweating ......any way nothing said and im thinking DR here ......but a few days later the chief engineer asked to see me with the mate also and said i was out of order with the boy ......i said the same ...but a few months later on pay off day i was desperate to see my book dicharge .....VG VG.....i said to the old man thank you captain ......he said F OFF ....which i did quicker than an arrow from a bow happy days ...R 683532

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #22
    good evening cappy, whilst i could never condone such behaviour and the assault on the chief engineer was to say the least unfortunate, but i look at it this way you had two choices, firstly you could have entered the saloon and in front of the diners embarrassed the chief by telling him he was a bully and a loud mouth and should not have spoken to the pantry boy in that manner,
    but you obviously used your discretion and thinking on your feet you cooled the whole matter down by putting the ice-cream bowl on his head.
    obviously this is what the captain was thinking and thats why he took no further action,
    tom
    ps keep your head down im not backing you up when ivan starts.

3. Thanks cappy, Doc Vernon thanked for this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Quote Originally Posted by thomas michael View Post
    hi cappy #22
    good evening cappy, whilst i could never condone such behaviour and the assault on the chief engineer was to say the least unfortunate, but i look at it this way you had two choices, firstly you could have entered the saloon and in front of the diners embarrassed the chief by telling him he was a bully and a loud mouth and should not have spoken to the pantry boy in that manner,
    but you obviously used your discretion and thinking on your feet you cooled the whole matter down by putting the ice-cream bowl on his head.
    Obviously this is what the captain was thinking and thats why he took no further action,
    tom:smashpc:
    Ps keep your head down im not backing you up when ivan starts.
    well guess your right tom ....looking back the chief did look a mess with the ice cream runing down ......and each time the ice cream was on the menu somebody would snigger in the saloon and say ffs dont ask for the ice cream.....oh happy day

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #24
    did you have a ships cat ? you could have put him on the table next to the chief engineer and let it lick the ice-cream off his face. mind you i wouldnt have minded being the ships cat sitting watching it unfold
    tom .

- - - Updated - - -

hi cappy #24
    just thought on it could have been worse it could have been baked alaska
    tom

- - - Updated - - -

hi cappy#24
    it must have looked like one of those tom and jerry comedies off the television,
    pity about the cat
    tom

6. Likes cappy, Doc Vernon, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Well looking back i laugh my hat off ......but serious at the time.....

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi cappy #26
    keep laughing its the best medicine known to mankind
    tom
    ps im going to take a walk with the wife into town now and she can have a couple of glasses of vino and i will have a coffee.
    adios amigo nos vermos por la manana

tom

9. Likes Doc Vernon, cappy, Denis O'Shea liked this post
    Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Not too much sugar in the coffee Thomas, remember your blood sugar levels. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

What sort of ice cream was it.? Hope no one went short with such wastage.wasnt one of Runcimans they never had such luxuries , unless in port and Mr. Wimpey was on the quay. They were much safer in a cornet. Only would have to get a sub to buy one. JS
    R575129

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

hi john sabourn#28
    good morning, have not taken sugar in coffee or tea since my teens, must have been all the sugar butties i had as a kid.as i cannot stand it,
    as for blood sugar levels they have been more than acceptable since i was diagnosed in 2010, but answer me this,
    i could and did drink galleons or copious amounts of wine and brandy after 2010 as a matter of fact one time i went for my blood sugar tests after being out all night drinking, and the blood sugar tests where good,
    so who knows best,
    tom

Thanks (Given)
    Thanks (Received)
    Likes (Given)
    Likes (Received)

Tom your spanish and the term a good laugh reminds me of a time with my wife and two children in spain many years ago ......i found the spanish hairdressers really good plus you could get a shave with the open razor ....thinking i could get of an hour or so and have an odd beer i went into the little village and entered the hairdressers.......it was a good clean shop with the latest gear run by two brothers ....one appeard to run the show while the other one swept up etc .....being quite early there was just three of us in the shop ......the boss barber cut my hair great cut looked smart etc .....the other brother not so bright looking came and put the chair fully back .....and fully lathered my face ......he then approached with the open razor ....now any man knows when you are laid back with a razor on your throat is probably the most weakest position you will ever get yourself in ....any way no prob......he started to shave very slowly .....after managing one side of my face he turned to the other side ....i then noticed a slight tremor in his hand holding the razor.....which slowly hovering over my throat got stronger and looking up his eyes were rolling ......and his hand was now making great sweeps in the air.......i of course was laid back with no purchase on anything ......and although i have learned the meaning of fear in my life .....was truly justabout crapping myself......his eyes were rolling ....his razor was flapping about an inch of my bleedin .nose and he started gurgling.....happily his brother leaped acrosss the shop and wrapped both arms around him and dragged him a away shouting in spanish of which the only word i heard was i new was epileptica or similar ....well to say iwas quickly out of that barbers chair quickly would have been telling a lie ...as the next thing i recall was being half way down the street with the white coverall and towel still round my neck and the shaving soap still on one side of my face .....throwing the coverall and towel over my shoulder but not realising ...i was still with my face covered in foam on one side i flew into a bar .....whereupon i ordered alarge ..cognac....the bloke behind the bar said have you just come from the barbers up the street you have still got the foam on your face ....he then said he has siezures you know one of these days heb will cut somebodies head off....i ordered an other large cognac....and i eventually calmed down.....bleedin dagoes.....R683532

14. Thanks thomas michael thanked for this post
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast